SUMware
Premium
join:2002-05-21
kudos:2

Airport Security Identifies Clown As Potential Terrorist

Potential Terrorist
From InfoWars.com

quote:
Airport security staff strip-searched a clown on his way onto a plane - because they thought he could've been a terrorist.

Children's entertainer Dave Vaughan - aka PC Konk the clown - was frisked by security guards at Birmingham International Airport after setting off a security alarm, and was ordered by cops to strip down from his clown costume to shorts and tee-shirt.

Stunned PC Konk - who was wearing bright blue clown trousers, massive shoes and a flashing police helmet - was trying to board a flight for disadvantaged youngsters.

He had been booked by Variety Club Midlands to perform for children on the Search for Santa trip, which involves a one-hour round flight.

PC Konk was even made to hand over his plastic handcuffs, as they were deemed a 'risk'.

Mr Vaughan, 60, from Shard End, Birmingham, who has been a children's entertainer for 25 years, said: 'I just couldn't believe it when they told me to get undressed so they could search me and my belongings.

'I showed them my police clown identity card, which had my picture next to the my credentials as a member of the Criminal Insane Department, but I don't think that really helped!

'My plastic scissors and camera got through fine, as did my funny glasses and bubble machine, but then they discovered my plastic toy handcuffs. I told them I had bought them from the Early Learning Centre especially for the trip but they still said they were a risk.

'I suppose they have to be really safety-conscious nowadays, but I've never had this problem before when I've been to international clown conventions abroad.'

David Dunckly, spokesman for Variety Club Midlands, said: 'It's ridiculous that they needed to strip-search PC Konk right down to his shorts.

'He told us that he normally uses pink fluffy handcuffs, but they have a little bit of metal in, so he thought plastic ones would be safer.

Security guards spent 10 minutes examining PC Konk's outfit, including his clown shoes and bubbles. They eventually released Mr Vaughan when they discovered his costume featured a metal band which held up his pantaloons - the reason he set off the alarm.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Thanks for the post. I and my family will sleep so much better tonight knowing the air corridors of America are secure against the attacks of terrorist clowns. Regarding the clowns at airport security check-ins, that remains another worry for another day...
--
If God wanted us to work with electrons, He'd make them big enough to see...

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
They made me strip once. I mean who cares I didnt complain and what makes him think he is immune because he is a clown???

SUMware
Premium
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Thanks for the post. I and my family will sleep so much better tonight knowing the air corridors of America are secure against the attacks of terrorist clowns.
I'm always happy to provide a public service.
said by Blackbird:

Regarding the clowns at airport security check-ins, that remains another worry for another day...
On what side of the security counter are the real clowns? A timeless question.

Oh, no. Another sad day for clowns...
Ex-Ringling clown and blogger Pat Cashin writes about how the TSA personnel at O'Hare confiscated his clown makeup [06-15-2007]. He takes it along in his carry-on (and has for 5 years without a problem) because basically if your makeup and costume gets lost by the airline, you're screwed.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to Blackbird
Wait - so he got held up for 10 mins while they tried to locate the metal that had triggered the metal detectors?

I'm all in favour of articles that point out cases of security theatre, but I'm not sure this is one.

SUMware
Premium

2 recommendations

reply to SUMware
ATTN TSA - Example of potential bad clown.
Recommend confiscate gloves.

SUMware
Premium

4 edits
reply to dave
said by dave:

I'm all in favour of articles that point out cases of security theatre, but I'm not sure this is one.
Well, ya'd think that after going through all that, they'd want to check out the hidden wires, battery pack and flashing light in his helmet. And possibly not allow such an electrical device on board the plane. But evidently that item caused no problems. Who knows what else could be stored in a big hat? If he'd been wearing a 'squirting flower' he probably would've been banned from flying. And, did they make him remove his nose? Or even blow it to prove that it functioned properly?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to SUMware
said by SUMware:

...Oh, no. Another sad day for clowns...Ex-Ringling clown and blogger Pat Cashin writes about how the TSA personnel at O'Hare confiscated his clown makeup [06-15-2007]. He takes it along in his carry-on (and has for 5 years without a problem) because basically if your makeup and costume gets lost by the airline, you're screwed.
What?! Yet another clown shakedown at check-in? Sounds like there's some serious "profiling" going on here... Hmm. I wonder what intel led to all this... or what lack of 'intel'...?
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to dave
said by dave:

... I'm all in favour of articles that point out cases of security theatre, but I'm not sure this is one.
Uhmm... actually, this is more like security circus.
--

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to SUMware
I was going to say this was another case of airport security theater, but Blackbird See Profile nailed it. Calling it "circus" is indeed more fitting here. And it is more like a sideshow than the main event.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

said by dave:

... I'm all in favour of articles that point out cases of security theatre, but I'm not sure this is one.
The circus has enough problems with Clown Groupies that they'd never hire one for security.
It can't be easy being a Clown Groupie.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
said by Snowy:

said by Blackbird:

said by dave:

The circus has enough problems with Clown Groupies that they'd never hire one for security.
It can't be easy being a Clown Groupie.
In a statement release in Rome just before Christmas 2008, Security Guards announce " PC Konk never worked for us..there is no Santa Claus..metal is only worn pinned to the vest..shorts are optional." Their Security records indicated PC was recently a member of a heavy metal band and had also been identified as once being a member of the radical lawrence welk group and if he shows in Rome they will defrag his PC and scan it for the Bubble Trojan"
»farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/307···a5f4.jpg

Staff also demanded he put the liquid for his plastic bubble-blowing saxophone into a clear sealed plastic bag.

"I'd made sure I'd bought plastic handcuffs and a plastic whistle but I hadn't realised that the costume had a metal band – I thought it was plastic," said Mr Vaughan, from Shard End, Birmingham.

"They took me to the customs office, I took off the costume and they put it through the X-ray machine.

"That was fine and I put it back on. Then they confiscated my handcuffs, which were plastic."

He was trying to board a flight for disadvantaged youngsters. He had been booked by Variety Club Midlands to perform for children on the Search for Santa trip, which involves a one-hour round flight.

Mr Vaughan was finally allowed to board the Thomas Cook-sponsored plane, which took off from Birmingham and returned an hour later after the incident last Tuesday.

"Don't get me wrong, they were only doing their job. The funny part about it was that we were not going anywhere," he said.

"But at the end of the day, the children got great pleasure out of it. It was to make the children have a nice day and have a laugh, which we did."

A spokesman for Birmingham airport said: "PC Konk certainly did a great job of keeping everyone at the airport entertained.

"PC Konk then passed speedily through before getting on with the important job of putting smiles on the faces of the Variety Club children, who all enjoyed a day to remember here at the airport."
»www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/dec/2···rmingham
--
Gladiator Security Forum »www.gladiator-antivirus.com/
A fun/friendly/informative forum for the mature elder crowd
»www.theover50goldengroup.net

SUMware
Premium

1 edit
Those men are Swiss Guards.

Swiss Guards is the name given to the Swiss soldiers who have served as bodyguards, ceremonial guards, and palace guards at foreign European courts since the late 15th century. They are now represented in some sense by the Papal Swiss Guard.

The Papal Swiss Guard in the Vatican was founded in 1506 and is the only Swiss Guard that still exists.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by SUMware:

Those men are Swiss Guards.

Swiss Guards is the name given to the Swiss soldiers who have served as bodyguards, ceremonial guards, and palace guards at foreign European courts since the late 15th century. They are now represented in some sense by the Papal Swiss Guard.

The Papal Swiss Guard in the Vatican was founded in 1506 and is the only Swiss Guard that still exists.

Now ya tell..

Then how do you account for..
Chief of IT Security of Rome at the MVP summit 2009 reporting from the Washington State Conference center discovered the Fabric Controller
»Re: Steve's MVP Summit 2009 Thread

on the PC was responsible for deploying the Bubble Trojan.

»www.glocksoft.com/trojan_list/Bubble_Boy.htm

Microsft is offering up a bounty of $250,000 for any information that leads to the arrest of anyone blowing bubbles Sobig with a Blaster that it causes a Conflicker in the space continuum transfunctioner.

We all know what worms look like..

»www.geekologie.com/2009/02/16/worm.jpg

But not many of us has seen What Computer Malware Looks Like

»www.geekologie.com/2008/03/neat_···_loo.php
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to dave
said by dave:

Wait - so he got held up for 10 mins while they tried to locate the metal that had triggered the metal detectors?

There are cases that are peppered with Terrorists trying to introduce a foreign substance into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual.

»circlesoffriends.us//index.php?s···1613&hl=
--

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to SUMware
remember It?

i don't blame them

Cudni

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
reply to Ryan
said by Ryan:

They made me strip once. I mean who cares I didnt complain
Yeah... But at the ticket counter?...
--
New to Forum Life? Click here and learn.

ryanlin2002

join:2009-02-01
reply to SUMware
that was a bit, overkill. he didn't set off the metal detector, did he?

SUMware
Premium

2 edits
said by ryanlin2002:

that was a bit, overkill. he didn't set off the metal detector, did he?
said by SUMware :
...was frisked by security guards at Birmingham International Airport after setting off a security alarm...

They eventually released Mr Vaughan when they discovered his costume featured a metal band which held up his pantaloons - the reason he set off the alarm.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to SUMware
Clowns ARE dangerous.

TSA FTW.

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to SUMware

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3grHjibNdA

--
5 fingers + a thumb......

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to SUMware
Either you're with clowns or you're against them.

jay_rm

join:2002-04-12
Netville

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Thanks for the post. I and my family will sleep so much better tonight knowing the air corridors of America are secure against the attacks of terrorist clowns. Regarding the clowns at airport security check-ins, that remains another worry for another day...
You do realize this took place in the UK, while trying to board a UK flagged carrier, right ??
--
3500/512 5.7 GHz Motorola Canopy Wireless; FoxValley.net
'It looks just like a Telefunken U47 !'

tmh

@qwest.net
reply to SUMware
Too bad they don't subject the TSA clowns managing airport security to the same treatment.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

That's a fairly easy choice.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Thanks for the post. I and my family will sleep so much better tonight knowing the air corridors of America...
Didn't happen in Birmingham, Alabama; rather it happened in the original Birmingham, in the U.K. Midlands.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

FunnyBones
Premium
join:2004-01-22
usa
kudos:1
reply to tmh
said by tmh :

Too bad they don't subject the TSA clowns managing airport security to the same treatment.
hah ftw

I must admit clowns can be a terrorist if you suffer from coulrophobia.
--
Fb:2009 The nightmare men have returned.

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast
Y'll crack me up! Stop clowning around now, this is serious stuff. heh!
--
"In the future, that which is not mandatory will be illegal"

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

reply to SUMware
What everyone does not realize in this day and age, is that you have to take these precautions to protect people. The Police & Screeners do not care who this person was, nor considered him safe just because he was a clown.

There is nothing to state that this person could have had the intent to cause damage, or injury, along with the fact could have had weapons.

Sorry, but Security is not a laughing matter, especially when it comes to protecting people.

The only one laughing is Mr. Wilkinson who thought that he could get away with not being given the extra screening.
--
I threw out the map a long time ago. Now I follow my own direction!

SUMware
Premium

2 edits
reply to FunnyBones
said by FunnyBones:

I must admit clowns can be a terrorist if you suffer from coulrophobia.
Coulrophobia is an extreme fear of clowns.
Sufferers sometimes acquire a fear of clowns after having a bad experience with one:

said by fatness: