uniqs
share rss forum feed

jakedi6
Ironhorse From Chickasaw And Chirachau

join:2000-11-11
Barrington, IL

1 edit

Free upgrade from 16/2 to 22/5?

Hi. I cuurently have 16/2 from Comcast. I guess the new speeds are here and I am supposed to be upgraded for free right? Do I need to get a modem from them thats supports DOCSIS 3. The info from the website (below) says so. I have rebooted modem and router many times and have not seen the speeds. Any info would help. Thanks.

Ultra (up to 30 Mbps download with PowerBoost®)
premium movie network(s) included.
If you’re looking for superior speeds for everyone in the family, you’ll want the Ultra service. It offers ultra-fast speeds up to 30 Mbps with PowerBoost and is ideal for households with multiple computers or online devices. Ultra service assures a speedy connection when more than one person is online at the same time – downloading music, movies and TV shows, uploading photos or streaming video. And gamers will enjoy less lag and more frag due to increased frame rates. $62.95 per month.
This starting price is for customers who currently subscribe to Comcast Cable or Comcast Digital Voice service.
A Comcast leased modem is required. The $3.00/month rental fee is included in the display price.

+ See All Features
+ See Terms and Conditions
+ See Minimum Requirements $65.95
Add to CartRemove

comcast1

@comcast.net

Re: Speed upgrade

You only need a D3 modem if you subscribe to 22/5 and up speed tiers.

You do not need one if you have 16/2.

jakedi6

Barrington, IL
Yeah but I should be automatically upgraded from 16/2 to 30/5 right? If thats the case, shouldn't they be letting me know I need a new modem?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by jakedi6:

Yeah but I should be automatically upgraded from 16/2 to 30/5 right?
W.I.W., that ad is a bit misleading. It's not a 30/5 tier. It's 22 down, 5 up, with Powerboost bursts up to 30 down.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

4 edits
reply to comcast1
said by comcast1 :

You only need a D3 modem if you subscribe to 22/5 and up speed tiers.
Or *if* one is not yet *officially* a "subscriber", but is automatically upgraded to that speedtier.

jakedi6

Barrington, IL
So. Any idea what I need to do?

spike010101
Premium
join:2003-11-28
Olympia, WA
reply to jakedi6
Well just call them, and they will most likely set up an appointment for someone to come out and swap modems, and set it up.

jakedi6

Barrington, IL
Figured that. Actually not really surprised they didn't contact me and tell me that.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

2 edits
reply to jakedi6
said by jakedi6:

Yeah but I should be automatically upgraded from 16/2 to 30/5 right?
If you called and upgraded to "Ultra" (22/5) then yes. There is no free upgrade to Ultra.
Expand your moderator at work

jakedi6

Barrington, IL
reply to jakedi6

OK. I am paying $69.95 no for 16/2. Here is what they ffer by me now:

Performance (up to 15 Mbps downloads with PowerBoost®)
Special Offer for Comcast High Speed Internet If you’re looking to upgrade from DSL, you’ll want Performance. It’s way faster than DSL from the phone company and offers download speeds up to 15 Mbps with PowerBoost®. Pay bills, book travel, surf the net, chat with friends, download music, and upload photos - all in a flash!
Offer limited to residential customers satisfying applicable eligibility criteria.
Post-promotional price starts at $42.95 and varies depending on the Comcast services you subscribe to.
Promotional Rate is $19.99/month for 3 month(s) for eligible customers, ongoing price is $42.95/month

+ See All Features
+ See Minimum Requirements $19.99
Add to CartRemove

Performance (up to 15 Mbps downloads with PowerBoost®)
If you’re looking to upgrade from DSL, you’ll want Performance service. Performance is way faster than DSL from the phone company and offers download speeds up to 15 Mbps with PowerBoost. Pay bills, book travel, surf the net, chat with friends, download music, and upload photos faster than ever before. $42.95/month.
This starting price is for customers that currently subscribe to Comcast Cable or Comcast Digital Voice service.

+ See All Features
+ See Minimum Requirements $42.95
Add to CartRemove

Blast!® (up to 20 Mbps download with PowerBoost®)
If you’re looking for advanced speeds, you’ll want Blast! It offers blazing-fast download speeds up to 20 Mbps with PowerBoost and is perfect for your online media needs – from downloading music, movies and TV shows to uploading photos and streaming video. $52.95 per month.
This starting price is for customers that currently subscribe to Comcast Cable or Comcast Digital Voice service.

+ See All Features
+ See Minimum Requirements $52.95
Add to CartRemove

Ultra (up to 30 Mbps download with PowerBoost®)
If you’re looking for superior speeds for everyone in the family, you’ll want the Ultra service. It offers ultra-fast speeds up to 30 Mbps with PowerBoost and is ideal for households with multiple computers or online devices. Ultra service assures a speedy connection when more than one person is online at the same time – downloading music, movies and TV shows, uploading photos or streaming video. And gamers will enjoy less lag and more frag due to increased frame rates. $62.95 per month.
This starting price is for customers who currently subscribe to Comcast Cable or Comcast Digital Voice service.
A Comcast leased modem is required. The $3.00/month rental fee is included in the display price.

+ See All Features
+ See Minimum Requirements $65.95
Add to CartRemove

Extreme 50 (up to 50 Mbps download)
If you’re looking for the fastest Internet speeds out there, you’ll want the Extreme 50 service. It blows the doors off of other high-speed Internet connections with speeds up to an incredible 50 Mbps. It’s perfect for hard-core gamers, households with several computers or online devices and tech-savvy Internet users who crave the fastest speeds. Multiple online users can simultaneously game in real-time, upload and share high-resolution multi-media files, stream and download HD movies – all at unbelievable speeds. $139.95 per month.

+ See All Features
+ See Minimum Requirements

Should I get the Ultra now as I am already paying that amount? My current bill. doesn't state that.

Oh f**k it. I'll just call

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to ztmike
said by ztmike:

If you called and upgraded to "Ultra" (22/5) then yes. There is no free upgrade to Ultra.
Are you certain that this is so for all market areas ??

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:117
reply to ztmike
said by ztmike:

(All Comcast speed tiers come with a 250GB monthly cap) unless you order the business tier. Which I believe is only 16/2
I don't think that's true. Several people in Chicago have reported that they got the upgrade to Ultra for free (I think someone may have even posted the letter they received.)
Expand your moderator at work

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

1 edit
reply to netcool

said by netcool:

said by ztmike:

I don't think that's true. Several people in Chicago have reported that they got the upgrade to Ultra for free (I think someone may have even posted the letter they received.)
I find that hard to believe. That Comcast would give Blast users a "free" upgrade to 22/5.

But I guess I could be wrong..Comcast acts in strange ways across their service areas.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
Not all markets appear to charge/act the same, if I remember correctly, some markets were being charged a higher rate for Blast initially which may account for the "free" upgrade. Not fact based, just my opinion based on reading posts.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL
kudos:5
reply to ztmike
said by ztmike:

said by netcool:

said by ztmike:

I find that hard to believe. That Comcast would give Blast users a "free" upgrade to 22/5.

But I guess I could be wrong..Comcast acts in strange ways across their service areas.
I got the free upgrade! and also got a letter..
I went to the local comcast office and picked up a 3.0 modem
--
Comcast HSI 16/2 / MagicJack - VoIP / at&t iPhone 3G /
»www.RestartYourComputer.net - IT Techs, Send people here to restart their computer

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24

1 edit
said by SuperNet:

I don't really see that as a free upgrade since it appears to me you are paying about what I would pay if I upgrade my 16/2 ($52.95) connection to 22/5 ($62.95+$3 modem rental.)

From what you said here, you seem to be paying $61.95 for Ultra and, my assumption, since you didn't say, is that you also pay $3/mo. for the modem lease.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
The same offer is available here.
If you read the terms (or even the Op's posts), it is for existing customers of CATV or CDV and the $65= cost is listed as a "starter" rate (promo?) but I don't see a normal rate, it says call for details.
I don't think the letter is a special offer as much as it is an ad.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

said by SuperNet:

I don't really see that as a free upgrade since it appears to me you are paying about what I would pay if I upgrade my 16/2 ($52.95) connection to 12/5 ($62.95+$3 modem rental.)

From what you said here, you seem to be paying $61.95 for Ultra and, my assumption, since you didn't say, is that you also pay $3/mo. for the modem lease.
True, i am paying $62.95 + 3.00 modem( but on a promo for 45.00 ) a month for 6 months

But I thought ultra should be 74.95 a month.
--
Comcast HSI 16/2 / MagicJack - VoIP / at&t iPhone 3G /
»www.RestartYourComputer.net - IT Techs, Send people here to restart their computer

bayareanon

@pacbell.net
reply to jakedi6

Re: Free upgrade from 16/2 to 22/5?

It may vary by market but here Blast! is not being upgraded.

6/1 "Performance" -> 12/2

8/x "Performance Plus" -> 16/2 "Blast"
Most were already upgraded to Blast! a year/two ago.

16/2 "Blast" = no change

Anything above that is docsis 3.0 -

22/5 "Ultra"
50/10 "Extreme"

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to ztmike

said by ztmike:

But I guess I could be wrong..
Just like myself, it wouldn't be the first time..

jakedi6

Barrington, IL
reply to jakedi6

Re: Free upgrade from 16/2 to 22/5?

Yeah. I should get the free upgrade as that is the price I'm paying for now. If they dont, then I'll just drop a tier, pay less, but still get the speed I'm getting now.

walk

join:2009-03-06
Petaluma, CA
Seeing as most people were already upgraded once for free (from Performance Plus to BLAST! - don't forget to use all CAPS and the exclamation! ) I wouldn't find it surprising that they won't be upgraded again for free - especially since it requires a modem swap (and those D3.0 modems are NOT cheap).

heave
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Oil City, PA

1 edit
reply to jakedi6
About two months ago I got a upgraded to ultra 22/5, same price as 16/2. Testing at the Comcast beta speed site produces 29-32 down and 5-7 up.

I live about an hour & half north of Pittsburgh, Pa.

I'm currently running with a Linksys CM100, should I make the move to a DOCSIS 3 modem?

Moderator Note: »Is the DOCSIS 3 rollout complete in your area? Post here.