grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit
reply to bbinabox

Re: Satellite internet for trucks and rv's

said by bbinabox:

Sorry it did not work out Greg on the 24th. Meeting rescheduled for next month sometime.
What's the ID of the new Prodelin mast bracket? One of my old dish locations is no longer used. I was going to cut the pole just under the surface, then just abandon the buried cable and ground wire. But if the OD of the pole is compatible with the ID of your mast bracket, I might just leave it stand for a while. It measures 2.26" OD.

And about the GPRS/EDGE antenna - the modem brochure indicates a rear connection for "1 External PIN antenna (SMA-connector)". Might that be for the transmit antenna? And if yes, is it an indoor or outdoor antenna?

//greg//
--
HN7000S/98cm Prodelin/2w Osiris/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2009

bbinabox

join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY
kudos:1
Greg,

I'll find out the specs shortly. The antenna is indoor.

EC.net is in Florida at a 1st Responder show this week. Actually have a 2-way product which we are showing along with the GPRS/EDGE modem.

Regards,

Thomas-

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
said by bbinabox:

I'll find out the specs shortly.
That measurement sure would come in handy soon. I'm leaving on a road trip in a couple weeks, and don't have a clue what size tripod to be shopping for yet. Would also like to test drive it here at home before getting underway.

//greg//
--
HN7000S/98cm Prodelin/2w Osiris/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2009

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to PKDestroyer
Well, I don't know whether to classify this as ridiculous - pathetic - or typical. But it's become reasonably certain that I'm going to be heading out on the road without the vaunted Skyway GPRS/Edge system

//greg//
--

bbinabox

Louisville, KY

1 edit
Wow, I am sincerely sorry that I was busy traveling and didn't contact you sooner sir. + FCC certification and getting a WS rate through the BIG's is like pulling teeth sir!!!!

Its posts like this that get me questioning what your MO is here at that incredibly friendly 2-way MB which promotes itself as an open discussion and overall.

You know, there's respect (class) and there's whatever you call your online personality, esp. with us newbies sir. If I didn't have thick cyber skin, you would have run me out a long time ago and prolly been bragging about it. Sorry that this place is cool and doesn't ban people for not agreeing with the site owner's advertisers!!!

I am now concerned about working with a potential partner that calls me pathetic and ridiculous on a public MB. I 100% respect your experience and knowledge in my chosen field as I have said 100's of times, yet its your execution and your intent that I question.

I gotta run.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

BTW I just sent you the modem specs before reading this thread....

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits
Your choice Tom, but it helps to view life occasionally from perspectives other than your own. I have to say though, that there are millions of folks worldwide that seem to have little problem maintaining an internet presence outside the confines of their home or business.

You proposed this field test scenario months ago, but with virtually no follow-up. Since yours was an online proposal, I launched my preparatory questions and concerns in kind - with no response whatsoever. That pretty much describes the "dilemma" about how to classify what - up to this point - has been a nonexperience.

Our new president seems to be on a crusade to drive small business into the dirt, I'm just trying to keep you on your toes. If you examine the dates, I waited a charitable month and a day to express my frustration at your non-response. The fact that it took you ANOTHER six weeks to even notice it - should speak for itself.

I'm going to respectfully suggest that an internet presence created by - or in furtherance of - a business must receive the same care and attention as does a storefront. Anything less is counter-productive. Or - just stay off the message boards.

//greg//
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to bbinabox
said by bbinabox:

I was busy traveling
Out of curiosity, what is it about travel that makes it impossible for you to continue normal internet activity for two months?

I've been traveling incessantly for years while running a business, multiple websites, etc. That is the whole point of having mobile satellite internet!
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 83W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

bbinabox

Louisville, KY

3 edits
reply to PKDestroyer
dbirdman, you are an exception to say the least. While I'm online for 16+ hours a day and busy with huge Telco launches like I have been the past 60-days, the last thing I want to do is spend my free time posting to MB's where I'm in the minority because I tend to favor technologies which work well for their customers. I also tend to migrate to off topic places where folks treat others with respect, who are cordial to newbies and even though their advertisers push them to do otherwise, they think for themselves.

I applaud you for such an outstanding and incesstant (great word) mobile satellite Internet travel record to date!!! I am hoping our GPRS/EDGE modem may be able to help businessmen like yourself connect within a complete redundancy solution some day e.g our modem for urban/suburban and the PSTN (dial-up) for everywhere else. + 2-way solutions for those really brave souls who venture out past where terrestrial connects are not available....

If you don't mind me asking, how much did setting your access hardware cost, the tracking system, etc. cost and how much do you pay per month? Thanks in advance...

Have a great evening sir.

Thomas-
Expand your moderator at work

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to bbinabox

Re: Satellite internet for trucks and rv's

said by bbinabox:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did setting your access hardware cost, the tracking system, etc. cost and how much do you pay per month?
The only dish I paid fully for was the first one, in 2002, Motosat F1 .74 meter. That one was $5400 installed, with a serial-based controller and Hughes 4000 modems with service at $99 per month. That one was upgraded to 4020 and then 6000 and finally 7000 service over a few years, after which it became secondary to other dishes.

I was fortunate enough to become a primary alpha and beta-tester for Motosat, so hardware and service have both been covered for sometime. I've had most iterations of hardware that they've built, and the 3 dishes I have now are my 9th, 10th, and 11th.

If you were buying new, the G74 would be around $4500 (it is the current version of what my old F1 was originally) with the VAR equivalent of Hughes Pro service at $79 per month. The 1.2 meter XF-3 with 4-watt BUC and iDirect modem would run around $15,000 (I think). I'm currently beta testing a service that allows me to auto-choose between two satellites at will, and that would run around $289 per month (no-fap, although that's never the whole story).

After more than 10,000 of these dishes have been installed there is a rather large after-market in used hardware at a small fraction of new. You could get a refurbished XF-3 with iDirect service for not much more than a new G74.

Like a lot of people nowadays who have these dishes I also have Air Card service, which provides in-motion connectivity and the ability to sometimes not care if I'm blocked by trees.

I just have great trouble imagining a mobile person needing to have both a shot at a satellite AND a cell or landline signal in order to get on, when there is such a plethora of services available that use one or the other without requiring both. Certainly any first responder who signs up for such a service will eventually have to answer to his superiors about why he made such a mistake! That will happen after some event where connectivity was critical, and unavailable.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 83W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

bbinabox

Louisville, KY

3 edits
dbirdman,

Awesome post! Great questions as well. Its all about the need for speed. Our parent company, www.ec.net works with Electric companies throughout the Southern coast, mostly hurricane prone regions, (TX, MS, etc.).

They tell us that cellular data connections are the ONLY thing that work after such events and 2way satellite providers take 36-hours + to get set-up. Our GPRS/EDGE modem can be set-up in less than 5-minutes after the initial wave and offer much more available bandwidth to everyone involved, torn down and reset-up again after the tail hits in another 5-minutes and offer connectivity to them all almost immediately.

I am a huge fan of MotoSat's/iDirect solution since I worked with them earlier this year. So having the redundancy of their system is vital and their 900 MHz wireless networking is absolutely genius, all a part of a complete redundant networking solution for all situations.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
said by bbinabox:

Our parent company, www.ec.net works with Electric companies throughout the Southern coast, mostly hurricane prone regions, (TX, MS, etc.).

They tell us that cellular data connections are the ONLY thing that work after such events and 2way satellite providers take 36-hours + to get set-up.
It is difficult to envisage that answer. The experience after each of the last few big hurricanes was that cellular was ALWAYS completely dead! Satellite, on the other hand, is either there or it isn't. If you have the dish (and post-Katrina a satellite truck has become standard for many first responders) it is a matter of minutes to be setup after pushing the button.

The Red Cross still uses manual-pointing of dishes, and that takes an experienced tech and of course the dish has to be there, which is the real problem and will be a problem for anyone who doesn't keep a dish locally regardless of the technology used. They lease a transponder and use iDirect. I think they've played around some with auto-pointing, but I'm not sure where they stand at this time.
--

bbinabox

Louisville, KY

1 edit
IMO the tracking systems while nice, are $1,000's each company, municipality, town, etc. just do not have budgets to buy. I have helped 100's of 15 year old to 75 year old tune in AMC-15 on our platform, most of the time in less than 5-10 minutes, so we can definitely have multiple people at multiple sites in hurricane prone areas trained just by stopping by several times a year.

IMO tuning in a satellite signal is a simple process, anyone can learn how to do it and the more folks that we get into a program like this and train the better.

It should NEVER be a skill for ONLY a select few, especially in the first response community -OR-even hurricane prone communities, that is just unfair to the peoploe, you know?

I liken this skill to CPR in a way, even though I do not want to ever discount that extremely vital skill here. Moving on, we're talking about setting up communications which will help in emergency, health, well being, strategy and resource management times where every minute helps here, and is extremely vital after disasters.

IMO the more people that know how to help set everything back up to as close to normal prior to the disaster, even on a temporary basis, the better.

Great chat sir, thank you.

Thomas-

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

2 edits
reply to dbirdman
said by dbirdman:

It is difficult to envisage that answer. The experience after each of the last few big hurricanes was that cellular was ALWAYS completely dead!
Absolutely correct. I can testify personally that ALL cell service went down hard during our big January ice storm. Six days into the clean-up, the towers finally went back on the air. Even the governor got involved in that fiasco. But service was still useless anyway - because the long lines in and out of the local exchange were still on the ground. In all, I estimate we were without cell connectivity somewhere north of two weeks.

//greg//
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
I take it as a given that there will be more and more choices for non-essential communications, but it may be "never" before 2-way satellite loses its place in essential disaster situations.

I'm particularly happy with this new ability to change satellite providers. Nothing could be worse than to have a satellite connection only to have the NOC affected by the same disaster you were trying to deal with! I don't personally have the sort of critical need that we are talking about, but for me it is great to not have to worry about NOC weather, and to have two different lookangles when finding a camping site.
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits
reply to Anon
said by bbinabox:

I beg to ask when did I once commit to you to having a system for you by a certain date EVER?
Well, how about right here in this thread? You said you'd hand-deliver one on April 24th, but never showed up. Five days later you "rescheduled for next month sometime". While waiting, I asked some setup related questions - no usable responses returned. On May 24th I again probed your intentions - mentioning an upcoming road trip - and hinting that it represented an excellent opportunity to test the GPRS/EDGE system in a mobile scenario. By June 13th I expressed my frustration that I had seemingly been typing into a black hole.

That's just in this thread alone. Another member expressed surprise in a different thread that I wasn't out on the road test driving the new Skyway rig.

Any of this sounding familiar?

//greg//
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

2 edits
reply to Anon
said by bbinabox:

Step outside of your installation/small business owner mode and how incredible the commissions are that Hughes pays you to convert a prospect to THEIR customer and let me ask you one simple question.

What is the BEST high speed Internet solution for the 10-20 million homes and businesses that are un-served by terrestrial connections today? Upfront costs, monthly service fees and overall maintenance? If they can't afford your best solution, what else would you recommend to them? Anything?
Thomas - I'm not going to waste any more time responding to that increasingly redundant set of questions. It's become blindingly clear that none of the other times I've done so - ever sunk in. I'm personally just going to treat it as SPAM that's stuck in a loop.

What by the way makes you think I am anything other than what I have always stated? That is, a retired satellite telecommunications engineer who happens to have been a Hughes customer since back in THEIR old dial return days.

//greg//
--

bbinabox

Louisville, KY

2 edits
reply to PKDestroyer
Have you ever heard the saying "Point 1 finger at me, you have 3 pointing right back at yourself".

Early on in this conversation, I said: I'll place you on our list for beta-testers as soon as the GPRS/Edge modem is ready to go.

I said that I'd TRY to get it to you by the 24th, the meeting never happened. Things changed, things got 'pushed-back'. Let me say it again, the meeting never happened. It was a good thing b/c we just got FCC certification for the device this month. Now we're jumping through hoops with the BIG's just to get our 'device' approved through their process as well as negotiating wholesale rates with them.

It is not ready to go Greg, plain and simple. What you don't let on in this public forum is I have emailed you 2 times letting you know that. You use these forums to make everything on your side look squeaky clean while throwing me under the bus as often as you can.

Re-read, its true. Please stop fabricating things. You've been doing this to me since we met. I politely ask and you throw out some other nonsense and we go around and around. Your skewed views on what has happened here is what is wasting your time, not me. We go around and around on these tangents while both of us know what went on. You start all of this with your posts. for some reason you want to play these games with me, calling ME names and never answering my challenges. I go to try to post my reasons why I do not promote 2way and get interesting subjects going (such as grounding) and I get banned. How convenient.

Here's your chance now sir, this is where you call me a spammer.

I actually became a DirecDuo customer in 1996. Loved it yet saw that a lot of folks were having major problems, esp. networking problems. Mostly MicroSoft's fault but Hughes and their proprietary code were also to blame. I convinced Gary Ervin's Apex Digital, Inc. (Sturgis Kentucky) that we needed to get into the business. After 700+ installs in 30 states, we gave it up because there was no money to be made in 2.5+ hour installations and a 91% successful installation rate = unhappy customers.

That's STILL my opinion today. I do not work in the 2way business because 3.5+ hour installs and a large majority of unhappy customers does not make a smart business model -OR- produce referrals which is the bread and butter of this industry.

When I found ISAT's DVB-S technology I jumped off the high dive big time. A DirecPC-esque solution which actually works 98.9% of the time? I was ecstatic. After 5 years, 100's of partners in the ISP/Telco industries, over 6,000 installs and many many many happy business partners we were set. SES Americom invested in us. I was 'this' close to seeing my dream of IP-Multicasting (IPTV/content/ digital distribution) become a reality. Then ISAT unfortunately dissolved and it was back to square one.

Now today with the DVB-S2 platform, literally everything that was wrong on the last platform has been improved upon exponentially. The EchoStar lease delivers! There's something to be said about dedicated transponders VS. shared space!! We are averaging 45-minute to 1 hour installs that 15-75 year old can do themselves. The most important thing is we have extremely happy customers, which is IMO is what this is all about and is what equals a a smart business model.

Several former-Hughes partners in the Telco world are starting to see this as well. They would rather not lose/give away a happy customer and have their rep go through the ringer due to speeds well below what is advertised, shoddy service and horrid support delivered from outside the country.

Have a great day everyone.

bbinabox

Louisville, KY
reply to PKDestroyer
Just read this after posting, it made me laugh, thanks DSLReports...

Random fortune from 'people'

Dear Lord: Please make my words sweet and tender, for tomorrow I may have to eat them.