Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

Need ideas to keep new headboard from hitting wall

Click for full size
Connection at frame
Click for full size
Measurement from wall and illustration of thickness
My wife sent off for a new metal design headboard for a bed in a guest bedroom. After assembling and bolting to the generic metal bed frame we already had, the headboard seems flimsy. That is, leaning against it would easily cause enough torque to make it hit the wall. So, I'm looking for ideas of what I could secure to the back of the frame at the top to save the wall and prevent torquing the connection of the headboard at the frame. The bed and frame are full-size. The headboard is for queen or full-size, and the manufacturer proved adapters to adapt it to full-size.

At the current time, I have considered using liquid nails to secure something soft yet rigid enough to the back of the headboard (hidden from view) to protect the wall. I have also considered just mounting the headboard itself to the wall and having no connection to the bed frame. (I like that, but the missus was not too fond of the idea.) So, I solicit yours.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to sempergoofy

Drill and bolt on some gussets.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

1 edit
reply to Jon

Those look like doorstops, Jon. Attachment would be the issue. The sheet metal tubing used for the headboard is not going to hold a screw like you would see on the back of a doorstop well.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Lurch77

said by Lurch77:

Drill and bolt on some gussets.
Sorry to be dense, but where are you suggesting they be placed? A gusset is a triangular shape, right?
--
nohup rm -fr /&

eakes

join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

I would detach the headboard from the bed frame and mount it on the wall. I did this for a friend because the headboard of her bed did not extend very far above the matress, pillows on the bed obscured the headboard.

I attached a 2x4 to the wall such that it would be hidden by the mattress. I then sat the headboard on the 2x4 using a couple of mendit plates screwed into the 2x4 to keep the headboard on the 2x4. The headboard now shows above the mattress, even with a stack of pillows on top. Nothing is attached to the headboard, it sits on the 2x4 and held in place by the brackets.

Should it be desired to move the headboard/bed in the future all that is necessary is remove the lag screws from the 2x4 (go into wall studs) and patch the holes with a little spackling compound.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

How about some tennis balls wedged between the headboard and wall?

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

3 edits

2 recommendations

I`ll agree with the tennis balls, though the hair could rub the paint off the wall..

how bout taking the wild sex to the floor or the couch? works for us :P Now that I think of it, there are some dents in the wall behind my headboard I gotta fix... hmmmm

Definetly not doorstops. the ends are too small, would be punched right through the drywall.

Mounting the headboard to the wall is the best idea. I dont see why the wife wouldnt like it, you wouldnt be able to tell, but the trim might get interesting to shim out.

good luck

-j

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to sempergoofy

said by sempergoofy:

Those look like doorstops, Jon. Attachment would be the issue. The sheet metal tubing used for the headboard is not going to hold a screw like you would see on the back of a doorstop well.
You could always attach the screw end to the wall.
Not ideal but an option.

You said it was a guest bedroom. How often does it actually get used? Ours gets used only a few times a year.

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
reply to sempergoofy

How about attaching some sort of foam to a sheet magnet, like those used for business cards or calendars?

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

I made a wood headboard for a bed we used to have. Looked like a picket fence, and wobbled like yours does. This is what I did to stabilize it. It takes a small bit of fabrication unless you can find some brackets at the hardware store. Of course our headboard did not extend past the bed though.

james1

join:2001-02-26

3 recommendations

reply to sempergoofy

Try having sex in the shower instead.

flibby3655
Bully Spotter
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA
reply to tp0d

said by tp0d:

Mounting the headboard to the wall is the best idea.
+1
--
The beatings will continue, until morale improves.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
reply to sempergoofy

headboards mounted to the wall is how most hotels do it so they don't have the issue of broken wallboard.

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium
join:2002-04-08
CT

2 recommendations

reply to sempergoofy

Stick a couple of these to the frame.

»hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-46···845.aspx

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to sempergoofy

OK,
I'll be the wise guy to say it:

Leave her alone! Quit DOING IT so hard!!

No what I mean?!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

We use big, thick sponges between each post and the wall. They fit snug and actually stick a little, but come out easy and leave no marks.
BAM
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

2 recommendations

reply to sempergoofy

when my wife and i lived in an apartment she got a new bedroom set that had a flimsy headboard. we took an old pillow and stuffed it between the hb and the wall and never had a problem with it again.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Lowtarget
Premium
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

How about using rubber feet? Like those founds on PC cases.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA

*bonk* *bonk* *bonk*

lol..

not OT, seriously...

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to sempergoofy

The idea of using a old pillow, sponge, or mounting it directly to the wall are the best ideas. However using a "door stop" or anything that has a small diameter will likely cause damage to the wall itself, or possibly go thru it.
--
www.pointofexistence.com

Telly Boot
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

My thought was the same as Nightwing's idea - get a couple of white door handle 'bumpers' and stick them to the wall in behind. Cost: about six bucks and will take five minutes. (They are like half a white rubber ball, 2" high, and have double-sided tape on the back)
--
Dawn,n,The time when men of reason go to bed. (Ambrose Bierce.)

ghghjgjh

@cox.net
reply to sempergoofy

Why not use a refrigerator corkboard that is magneticly attached.

HALLO

@suddenlink.net
reply to sempergoofy

Quit screwing on the bed?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

I've noticed a lot of hotels mount them to the wall.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Nightwing

said by Nightwing:

Stick a couple of these to the frame.

»hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-46···845.aspx
Excellent idea if we go the bumper route. I've seen those at H.D. before in the door-stop display. Sort of like a slice from a solid rubber ball.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

OK,
I'll be the wise guy to say it:

Leave her alone! Quit DOING IT so hard!!

No what I mean?!!
LOL. No way, man! That's why I have substantial equipment for the headboard in our master bedroom.

Seriously, though, while it is a guest room, it looks like my son who is graduating college this spring may have an extended stay over the summer as he prepares for graduate school.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to sempergoofy

Click for full size
View of frame from front
I thought I would add this additional view from the front of the frame for your viewing benefit. Sorry for it being a bit tilted, but you get the idea of what kind of space at the corners of the frame I would have to attach bumpers, if that is the final chosen route.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to ghghjgjh

While it is a great idea for adhesion, I think magnetically attached would not work out in the long run as they would come dislodged too easily. Imagine if someone leaned back to read a book. (Or go back to that other thought some of you had. )
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
reply to SparkChaser

A lot of hotels, but also you'll see on shows like HGTV they'll do it in homeowner's houses as well.