share rss forum feed

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

Re: Need ideas to keep new headboard from hitting wall

I've attached some felt strips to the back of the headboard, fixed the problem (still hits the wall but it's much softer).
[OT] look at the bright side, many would love to end up damaging the walls but can't [/OT]

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

A lot of hotels, but also you'll see on shows like HGTV they'll do it in homeowner's houses as well.
The biggest drawback that I believe is annoying the wife with mounting it on the wall is the lack of flexibility in rearranging furniture in the room. The bed is "anchored" to be in front of the bedframe that is mounted to a wall.

Now, in the long run, I don't see that as such a problem. But right now, she is in decorate mode. Flexibility in placement and movement appears to be a must.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
i hate when my wife gets like that. one time a few years back every time i walked into our bedroom it was arranged differently. i solved the problem by telling her she cna do what she wants but teh TV is going in X location and it WILL remain easily visible from my side of the bed, preferably just to teh right of my feet as i look that way.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

MLou
Premium
join:2007-05-01
Madison, WI
reply to cork1958
said by cork1958:

Leave her alone! Quit DOING IT so hard!!
No what I mean?!!
You wouldn't want brain damage to occur from repeated "orgasmic headaches".
Not to mention the time involved in fixing the "orgasmic hairstyles"!

I have a couple of extremely heavy antique bronze gates attached to the wall for my headboard. I used a bunch U shaped brackets spray painted the same color at the gates (with the screw in flat ends painted the same as the wall color). You can't tell they're not part of the original unless you look very closely.

For your situation, I would go with the 2x4 solution, with maybe a couple brackets for safe measure.

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ
reply to sempergoofy
tennis balls.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit
reply to Nightwing
said by Nightwing:

Stick a couple of these to the frame.

»hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-46···845.aspx
I picked up some of these at lunch today at H.D. I think they will fill the bill nicely (if not perfectly) for keeping the headboard from hitting the wall and doing damage. The diameter looks to be less than the size of each corner, so they should be nearly invisible. They have a self adhesive backing. Directions look interesting. They say to apply to the wall (as they are door-handle bumpers) and hold for 3 minutes. I wonder what is so special about three minutes. (Edit: I intend to mount to the frame corner, not the wall. Though now that I think about it as I type this, that might cause hemispherical depressions in the wall.)

Once she is out of decorating mode, I hope to mount it to the wall if she will allow it.

Thanks everyone for your great ideas.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

jmmilner

join:2001-11-20
Yorkville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy
Most hardware stores carry closed-cell foam weatherstripping with self-adhesive backing. While it is intended for sealing loose-fitting windows, doors, window-mounted A/C units and such, it does a very good job of filling the gap between the back of the headboard and the wall. You'll want the widest and thickest they sell - say 3/4" by 1/2". Just mount it horizontally across the top backside of the headboard. Have used this approach myself for the past 6 years.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to sempergoofy
Make a cleat, rib a 2x4 lengthwise at a 45 deg angle. Then screws half of it with point downward to the headboard. The other screw to the wall point upward then mount the headboard to the cleat and push down.

ravencajun
Premium
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy
I am afraid you will end up with divots in you wall board from those half round bumpers.

This is another idea that has worked, you know those little cheap vinyl hacky sack balls that are filled with beads, get 2 of those and a pack of self stick velcro, stick one to the ball and one to the back of the frame at the corners, stick ball to frame. They can be easily removed and provide good cushioning with out damaging the wall.
--
Registered Linux user:476595

squirrel21

join:2007-03-12
New Port Richey, FL
reply to sempergoofy
Tennis balls! Have her hold them between her knees!

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to sempergoofy
I just glued/velcro-ed a couple of pieces of carpet left over from the new carpet install, onto the corners of the bed frame. I guess they're about three and a half inches square. No marks, no smudges! Works very well.
--
I was born at night... but not last night!

sharondippity
Premium
join:2000-12-26
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

I've attached some felt strips to the back of the headboard, fixed the problem (still hits the wall but it's much softer).

I was thinking the same thing, I bought a package of felt things for the bottom of chairs etc for my wood floors. They stay stuck forever and do a great job.
--
God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

eakes

join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX
reply to sempergoofy
Get two large angle brackets from HomeDepot and attach to the 'legs' of the headboard through the holes that normally attach to bed frame. This will make 'feet' for the headboard. Use a couple of your rubber bumpers on the wall side of the headboard. Now set it in-place at the head of the bed. It will set on the floor resting against the wall. The feet will keep it from tipping forward onto the bed. It will be readily portable as the room gets rearranged!

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to sharondippity
said by sharondippity:

said by cowboyro:

I was thinking the same thing, I bought a package of felt things for the bottom of chairs etc for my wood floors. They stay stuck forever and do a great job.
I actually did that, I stacked two of them and used that.

wilbilt
Pronto Resurrected
Premium
join:2004-01-11
Oroville, CA
reply to sempergoofy
I have a similar issue due to those flimsy adapter plates. California King bed frame with Eastern King headboard. I can watch them flex when I push on the headboard.

I have thought about fabricating some new ones out of 3/8" steel plate.
--
We were taking a vote when the ground came up and hit us.

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to sempergoofy
Cut a piece of wood, to put behind the feet of the frame, so the headboard never touches the wall. If the headboard may still may touch the wall (as in someone is bouncing around a lot), get some green sticky felt stuff to put on the top areas of the headboard (it comes in big sheets). Cut it to fit.

I have used the large felt pads for chairs to keep a small bookcase from leaning into the wall, but since your headboard is metal, you can't pound the felt chair pads into it.

--
Team Discovery

fhghjghjg

@cox.net
reply to sempergoofy
You could try mounting a chair rail behind the headboard. Also possibly cinderblocks at the feet of the headboard or of the bed. I assume the metal isn't bending so the bed has to be moving right?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to sempergoofy
You could just take say a small piece of styrofoam and wedge it down behind the headboard and the wall. Should work great.

CCTVTech
Premium
join:2003-04-23
Phoenix, AZ
reply to sempergoofy
We used a piece of soft foam behind ours.

Ender3rd

join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
reply to sempergoofy
I ran into the same issue with a new bed frame. My elegant solution was to strap an old pillow to the frame with bungee cords, slightly lower than the top of the mattress, to keep the headboard spaced about 3 inches from the wall. So far so good! Might be enough even though your headboard does have some flex to it.
--
My Jeep is not an SUV. Your SUV is not a Jeep.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to james1
said by james1:

Try having sex in the shower instead.
Agreed

buttoni
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Temple, TX
reply to sempergoofy
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some of those extra thick felt pads with self adhesive you can find in the section where they have furniture leg protectors and casters. Very inexpensive and effortless solution. They come precut in various sizes and shapes, including 4-5 sheets you cut exactly to the size you need. The are nearly as thick as commercial carpet and come in beige and very dark brown. The adhesive is VERY good and I have them on the bottoms of all my furniture on my new hardwood floors. I use a pair of 1.5" square ones on the back of a wooden chair that scoots around and is inclined to bump a wall behind it. Nary a mark on that wall since applying them to this chair.
--
WinXP Home SP3 IE6; 512MB ram; Firefox 3.0.7; Comodo CIS 3.8.65951.477(w/o AV); Avast!Home AV; SuperAntiSpyware Pro; MBAM on demand.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

sharondippity
Premium
join:2000-12-26
San Jose, CA
Great minds think alike.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy
Since my son showed up to spend a few days during college spring break on Friday evening, my wife took a towel and folded it up and attached it by tying with a strip torn from an old t-shirt. It was placed right about at the level of the top of the mattress. Seems to to do the job of preventing wall banging well. As a precaution and because I had them, I adhered two of the hemisphere door stops at the upper corners, too. They don't appear to be needed but are there just in case. They are out of site and hidden by the corners.

Everybody's excellent suggestions on this topic are much appreciated.
--
nohup rm -fr /&