how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

strugs

join:2000-11-01
Tinley Park, IL

The blue light & HDMI

Does the blue HD light stay on after you turn off your TV?
Mine turns off.
I have the Cisco DVR hooked up via HDMI and I'm having problems with no picture on startup.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
HDMI hookups, the blue HD light goes off when the TV is off (HDMI is a "smart" connection, and therefore the box knows when that connection is severed, and the blue light going off indicates that)

Component hookups, the blue HD light stays on 24/7. Component is a "dumb" connection/1-way connection, and the box has no idea if the TV is on or not. So it is sending the TV the feed all the time, hence the Blue Light always being on.

AVI Match

@sbcglobal.net
reply to strugs
The STBs ATT uses conform to HDMI standards, where a lot of TV sets do not conform to these standards, and use their own, modified, standards which cause issues, which end up in people complaining that the STBs are faulty, when in reality, its their $1k-$2k TV set which is at fault.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
kudos:1
reply to ILpt4U
I was just wondering myself why the blue HD light stays on all the time on the STB in my bedroom, but not the one in the living room. Now I know. The living room is connected via HDMI, and the bedroom is connected via component.

bc

@comdata.com
reply to strugs
mine stays on all the time via HDMI.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to strugs
Does it take a while for the picture to come up after startup? Or do you have to actually turn the stb off and then back on?

strugs

Tinley Park, IL
reply to strugs
I have to power cycle the STB and the TV a few times or, unplug the HDMI cable,and plug it back in. Sometimes I have to reboot STB by holding down the power button.

Neighbor has same setup, blue light stays on all the time.
AT&T really needs to address this.

mmay149q
Premium
Dallas, TX
Can you PM me your billing account number, and your telephone number? I work in U-Verse, as Tier 2 technical support. We usually don't get this issue with the Cisco STB's, usually only the moto's, it could be a defective STB.

wirphotos

join:2002-07-22
Green Bay, WI
reply to strugs
My DVR is upstairs hooked up to my 42" LCD via component cables. The blue light is on ALL the time.

I have a STB hooked up via HDMI to my 46" LCD in the basement and the blue light doesn't stay on. This STB I have a coax cable running to a second tv, not sure if this is causing it or not. This same STB doesn't work with the remote for crap. I can stand 6" from it with the remote and it doesn't work unless I tip the STB way up.

Tech

@ameritech.net
Check the settings on you TV, (power saver mode, ect) until you find the setting that lets the remote control the STB. The problem is due to the current settings on you TV causing interference with the signal from the remote.

strugs

Tinley Park, IL
reply to strugs
Well an AT&T tech came out today and swapped out my STB for one with a newer hardware revision. Still the same problem.
Also tried swapping out HDMI cable, no luck. Still have to power cycle over and over again to get the STB to sync with the TV via HDMI.

dipswich
Premium
join:2003-06-27
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to strugs
The HDMI authorization handshake is killing the HD when the TV is off. It's part of HDMI security to keep you from getting a digital "perfect copy."

I was wanting to feed two sets with HD using both the component and HDMI outputs on the STB. But, whenever I switched the HDMI set to another source, or "off," the component output followed the blue light and went to 480p. I have no problems or noticable loss in picure quality by just splitting the component, so I abandoned HDMI.

I never had a problem where I received no picture at all, though (just the low resolution). If it's an option for you, you'll save the HDMI hassles by just going with component.

wirphotos

join:2002-07-22
Green Bay, WI
reply to strugs
I found if I turn on my tv first and then turn on the STB it works perfectly fine. If I use the uverse remote and turn them on at the same time, I don't get the blue light/hd right away.

Otherwise it feeds both tv's just fine with HDMI

mmay149q
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to strugs
What happens when you leave the STB/TV on for a minute or two after booting up the STB/TV? Does your TV just give the "No signal" error message?

Chryzm

join:2008-12-31
Alpharetta, GA

1 edit
reply to strugs
I have the Cisco box hooked up to my Pioneer Elite Receiver through HDMI. Then HDMI out to my Projector and when I turn off everything the Blue Light turns off and when I turn it on it's on. Only thing that really annoys me is no 5.1 Audio over HDMI having to run a Optical Cable and an HDMI cable is retarded and unnecessary...