All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
digger16309
join:2007-06-26

digger16309 to ptrowski

to ptrowski

Re: [VoIPo] Bad audio calling out, calling back seems to fix it.

I have had the original problem - wife calls me at work from home and it sounds like she is talking while a fax line is handshaking in the background. She hangs up and calls back and all is fine.

It's happened maybe 4-5 times, always during the day. I don't remember me calling people at other times and having them say they heard the same thing.

This is when I had one of the the screwy GS502's.

I don't think we've experienced the problem since we got the PAP2T.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Thanks digger. My most recent episode with it was on my pap2 about 2 nights ago when I called someone around 7:30.
VOIPoTim
VOIPO.com
Premium Member
join:2006-06-06
Irvine, CA

VOIPoTim to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
ptrowski - Can you see how your quality is now and if you have the DTMF issues? I'm curious if it's resolved.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Sure, I will see if I can find someone to talk to.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Why not call VOIPo CSR or Tim .

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Heh. So far two calls, sounds good. My daughter is home sick and sleeping so I don't want to have the phone ringing too much.

dcshobby
Premium Member
join:2004-11-24
Rochester, MN

dcshobby to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
We just happened to receive the replacement PAP2 and I have to say I am not impressed. The audio is very crackly on calls and for the first 10 minutes, all toll free calls gave me a fast busy.

The audio is like there is heavy traffic on the line but pings to Voipo's servers is 58ms. Also, according to the router the audio for all calls is being routed through Voip's servers and not directly to Level3 servers like I'm used to seeing.

Is this a known issue at all?

VTNoMore
@ameritech.net

VTNoMore to ptrowski

Anon

to ptrowski
Yikes....some of these VOIPo threads are starting to look like VT reruns.
VOIPoTim
VOIPO.com
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

3 edits

VOIPoTim to dcshobby

Premium Member

to dcshobby
said by dcshobby:

We just happened to receive the replacement PAP2 and I have to say I am not impressed. The audio is very crackly on calls and for the first 10 minutes, all toll free calls gave me a fast busy.

The audio is like there is heavy traffic on the line but pings to Voipo's servers is 58ms. Also, according to the router the audio for all calls is being routed through Voip's servers and not directly to Level3 servers like I'm used to seeing.

Is this a known issue at all?
The best thing to do when you have problems like this is to contact support.

Send in a ticket so they can look into what's going on for you and likely resolve it.
VOIPoTim

VOIPoTim to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Thanks digger. My most recent episode with it was on my pap2 about 2 nights ago when I called someone around 7:30.
Glad to hear. Keep us updated.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to ptrowski

to ptrowski
Just dropping in to let everyone know I have had *perfect* service since the 502 was replaced with the PAP2T.
Kill4Speed
join:2007-01-12
Ashburn, VA

Kill4Speed to ptrowski

to ptrowski
uhm, my parents just told me that they too have experienced bad audio (sometimes!??) last week
BTW, they're using a VOIPo (HT-502)

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I just tried calling the house to see how my daughter is feeling and the calls went over to the failover number again. Will submit a ticket.

"You do not currently have any devices registered to our servers! "

montano
join:2001-04-29
Central Cali

montano

said by ptrowski:

I just tried calling the house to see how my daughter is feeling and the calls went over to the failover number again. Will submit a ticket.

Man, if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all !!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by montano:
said by ptrowski:

Man, if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all !!
Yep. My wife is working from home today so she is just going to use her Blackberry and cell phone. Even if the thing is losing registration it should be re-registering back quickly. This PAP2 doesn't seem to.

montano
join:2001-04-29
Central Cali

montano

Did they hardcode the DNS servers in your TA ?

What version of Tomato are you running ? I had problems with the latest version, so I switched to DD-WRT and all my registration problems went away.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by montano:

Did they hardcode the DNS servers in your TA ?

What version of Tomato are you running ? I had problems with the latest version, so I switched to DD-WRT and all my registration problems went away.
Not sure. I don't think it is the latest and greatest but I will check tonight when I get home.

To be honest I am not sure if they hardcoded the DNS servers. I would assume they did.
ptrowski

ptrowski

Premium Member

Got an email back from support, very prompt. Said that the PAP2 will need to be rebooted for it to register again. Problem is that the wife tried that already, no dice. They said it may be NAT related, so I guess it is time to forward some ports although I have not had to do that in the past.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Ptrowski you need to go to Ooma. They could use your unique ability to stress test the system.. If it holds up to Ptrowski its a keeper.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by dcurrey:

Ptrowski you need to go to Ooma. They could use your unique ability to stress test the system.. If it holds up to Ptrowski its a keeper.
I know huh? For me the PAP2 is losing registration more than the GS was. I have never had to forward ports before so maybe something changed but I never mess with my router. It has been pretty much plug and play. The PAP2 was for a while, but now seems to be flaky.
FastAtLast
300 baud and beyond
join:2004-04-07
Vero Beach, FL

FastAtLast

I know huh? For me the PAP2 is losing registration more than the GS was. I have never had to forward ports before so maybe something changed but I never mess with my router. It has been pretty much plug and play. The PAP2 was for a while, but now seems to be flaky.
Ptrowski,

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm having issues today with VOIPo service using a previously stable PAP2T.

Started with receiving fast busy after dialing and long delay before ring on regular & toll-free numbers. I made sure I was registered by calling my number and that was OK. I switched back to central01 from east01, but it is no better. As a matter of fact, received audio from Hostgator toll-free number was very choppy.

I was feeling good about the service after setting up the PAP2T, but I still find myself checking registration every day. My comfort level is still not where I would like it to be. During my four years with Vonage, I never checked registration or browsed the forums every day as I do now.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Thanks FastAtLast, I appreciate it. I just want my phones to work and my wife to stop asking me why they are not working.
FastAtLast
300 baud and beyond
join:2004-04-07
Vero Beach, FL

FastAtLast

said by ptrowski:

Thanks FastAtLast, I appreciate it. I just want my phones to work and my wife to stop asking me why they are not working.
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but at this point I feel like the PAP2 is not a factor in quality-related issues with the service.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by FastAtLast:
said by ptrowski:

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but at this point I feel like the PAP2 is not a factor in quality-related issues with the service.
I tend to agree. I will start forwarding ports tonight, but first it was a database issue, then a 502 issue, then the static sounding quality issue and now the PAP2 can't keep a registration. I really want it to work, but this has been the rockiest start to service I have ever had. I had the VT and the Voipo adapters sitting next to each other during testing, no ports forwarded etc and they both worked.

I haven't changed a single setting on my router in quite a long time. The only thing I do is an occasional reboot to the network. Nothing has changed, and now the service is dropping registration on the PAP2 and it won't re-register just like the GS did. I haven't changed anything on my end, they say nothing changed on their end except for some of the gain level, new server, etc. Voipo said that there are no other pap2's having this issue so it has to be my side.

Why would the PAP2 start flaking now?
VOIPoTim
VOIPO.com
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

3 edits

VOIPoTim

Premium Member

said by ptrowski See ProfileI had the VT and the Voipo adapters sitting next to each other during testing, no ports forwarded etc and they both worked.

I haven't changed a single setting on my router in quite a long time. The only thing I do is an occasional reboot to the network. Nothing has changed, and now the service is dropping registration on the PAP2 and it won't re-register just like the GS did. I haven't changed anything on my end, they say nothing changed on their end except for some of the gain level, new server, etc. Voipo said that there are no other pap2's having this issue so it has to be my side.

Sorry to hear you're having issues again.

This is the only report I know of with one of our PAP2s having an issue like this at all with the exception of one guy whose MWI is causing an issue. The others seem to be problem-free.

Go ahead and forward the ports and see if that solves it for you.
slow mo
join:2002-03-19
USA

2 edits

slow mo to ptrowski

to ptrowski
ptrowski,

It's pity that you couldn't get it to work properly. For me, the voice quality was never the issue. When I had ht502 the only problem was the re-registration issue. My pap2t arrived yesterday and it's been running nicely.

The night before pap2t arrived, ht502 dropped registration again. I swapped out with my new pap2t last night. The voice quality is good. I don't expect any registration issues on my pap2t. It's been up 16 hours now.

I also did a tracert on my end. sip, east01, central01 and central02 were all good (less than 50). I only had sip up to 120 a couple of times. I believe I am on sip. Do you think something physical over your line may have degraded? I had Comcast replace my 20-year old line from the pole to the house when the connection was bad.

P.S. I didn't mention that I don't do port forwarding or DMZ, not a thing, just plug-n-play.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to VOIPoTim

Premium Member

to VOIPoTim
said by VOIPoTim:
said by ptrowski See ProfileI had the VT and the Voipo adapters sitting next to each other during testing, no ports forwarded etc and they both worked.

This is the only report I know of with one of our PAP2s having an issue like this at all with the exception of one guy whose MWI is causing an issue. The others seem to be problem-free.

What I don't understand is when this happened 2 days ago the device eventually registered again after an hour or so. Today it hasn't at all.
VOIPoTim
VOIPO.com
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

VOIPoTim

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

said by VOIPoTim:

What I don't understand is when this happened 2 days ago the device eventually registered again after an hour or so. Today it hasn't at all.
I really don't think it's not the device not re-registering. I don't remember for sure, but think before you mentioned a few times your wife rebooted and it wouldn't register? That sounds like it's just having issues connecting to us in general.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to slow mo

Premium Member

to slow mo
said by slow mo:

ptrowski,

It's pity that you couldn't get it to work properly. For me, the voice quality was never the issue. When I had ht502 the only problem was the re-registration issue. My pap2t arrived yesterday and it's been running nicely.

The night before pap2t arrived, ht502 dropped registration again. I swapped out with my new pap2t last night. The voice quality is good. I don't expect any registration issues on my pap2t. It's been up 16 hours now.

I also did a tracert on my end. sip, east01, central01 and centrol02 were all good (less than 50). I only had sip up to 120 a couple of times. I believe I am on sip. Do you think something physical over your line may have degraded? I had Comcast replace my 20-year old line from the pole to the house when the connection was bad.
I don't think so. The ISP after some upgrades has been rock solid as they split the downstream in my area, so the line is pretty clean. The drop from the pole is only 3 years old or so as it was replaced after I moved into the house. Modem stats look good also.
ptrowski

ptrowski to VOIPoTim

Premium Member

to VOIPoTim
said by VOIPoTim:

I really don't think it's not the device not re-registering. I don't remember for sure, but think before you mentioned a few times your wife rebooted and it wouldn't register? That sounds like it's just having issues connecting to us in general.
That was this morning and you are right, it didn't. The other day it came back on it's own as she didn't want to mess with it.