spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sr98user

join:2006-08-17
reply to ptrowski

Re: [VoIPo] Bad audio calling out, calling back seems to fix it.

I had some provisioning changes done to my account today. And I had some issues after the reboot. I noticed that I was having problems with the Local port 5060 for Line1 (somehow the line1/line2 port was changed). Once I changed it back to 5061, the service was back to normal. I don't have any other device in my network using 5060. Not sure why it was causing issues with port 5060.

digger16309

join:2007-06-26
Reviews:
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

I worked with Brandon this evening to get the line back up and running, do some test calls etc. Got the ports forwarded, disabled STUN and the test calls to voipo were sounding great.

First call to my sister had the static issue again. A call back worked fine.
I haven't read this entire string so forgive me if you've already done this...

While you are eliminating the most obscure reasons for your troubles, port forwarding, STUN this, screwing around with that....

Could it be that you just have a defective PAP2T, or one where the provisioning didn't take so well?

Do you still have the one from VT or did you send it back?

If you have it, can VOIPo provision it?

If not, maybe getting a second PAP2T from Tim to test would help. That would at least eliminate the device from the list of potential causes. Without doing a side by side test, that will remain a possibility as you change setting after setting.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 edit

said by digger16309:

said by ptrowski:

I worked with Brandon this evening to get the line back up and running, do some test calls etc. Got the ports forwarded, disabled STUN and the test calls to voipo were sounding great.

First call to my sister had the static issue again. A call back worked fine.
I haven't read this entire string so forgive me if you've already done this...

While you are eliminating the most obscure reasons for your troubles, port forwarding, STUN this, screwing around with that....

Could it be that you just have a defective PAP2T, or one where the provisioning didn't take so well?

Do you still have the one from VT or did you send it back?

If you have it, can VOIPo provision it?

If not, maybe getting a second PAP2T from Tim to test would help. That would at least eliminate the device from the list of potential causes. Without doing a side by side test, that will remain a possibility as you change setting after setting.
Brandon sent a new config, updated the firmware, was checking the routes, etc. We were on the phone for quite a while.
It just seemed like Murphy's Law that the first call I make after we hung up had the bad audio issue....

I do have a spare PAP2t-NA sitting around, I might beable to try that for a comparison.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to ptrowski

We know what part (if not all) of your issue is. I know you worked with Brandon yesterday and he had setup some traces. In the audio stream to you, there are jumps of over 500ms in some places which would definitely cause an issue. He's going to work with you to determine the best connection for your location/ISP.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Would that cause the static type sounds?

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA

said by ptrowski:

That could be a lot of different things (no way for me to say without having someone track some calls and watch things closely), but since there are some conversions to analog along the way for some areas.

There are really two likely scenarios since you're only seeing it on some calls:

1) Is this only when calling a certain area/provider? If so, it could be related to the conversion when that provider gets the call.

2) In some areas, calls will be handled off differently by different carriers, so there could be some conversion there as well.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by VOIPoTim:

said by ptrowski:

That could be a lot of different things (no way for me to say without having someone track some calls and watch things closely), but since there are some conversions to analog along the way for some areas.

There are really two likely scenarios since you're only seeing it on some calls:

1) Is this only when calling a certain area/provider? If so, it could be related to the conversion when that provider gets the call.

2) In some areas, calls will be handled off differently by different carriers, so there could be some conversion there as well.
Interesting.
I have also had some IM's from others saying they are seeing the same thing, so it may not just be location specific.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA

3 edits

said by ptrowski:

said by VOIPoTim:

said by ptrowski:

Interesting.
I have also had some IM's from others saying they are seeing the same thing, so it may not just be location specific.
If anyone has issues, they should open a ticket about it so it can be looked into and likely corrected.

Thousands aren't having problems, but if a few are having issues and we don't know about it, there's not much we can do.

MikeyRam

join:2009-03-13
Somerville, NJ

1 edit

Hi All- I did PM PTrowski as I seem to have the same issue. The interesting thing is that I still have a Grandstream which I troubleshot with Support (#DMN-359743) both behind and in front of my FiOS router. Since it was still problematic in front of the router we can probably rule out port forwarding as a single root cause. I've had IP telephony with Vonage and currently Voicewing and never had any problems with either. I came to VOIPo due to Voicewing's termination of service.

The problem happens 40-50% of the time for me, but if you hang up and try again it may then work just fine to the SAME number so its not a specific ILEC or carrier.

If it helps, I'm in central NJ with FiOS (20mb/5mb).

Let me know if I can provide any tracerts or anything else.

MikeyRam

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA

said by MikeyRam:

Hi All- I did PM PTrowski as I seem to have the same issue. The interesting thing is that I still have a Grandstream which I troubleshot with Support (#DMN-359743) both behind and in front of my FiOS router. Since it was still problematic in front of the router we can probably rule out port forwarding as a single root cause. I've had IP telephony with Vonage and currently Voicewing and never had any problems with either. I came to VOIPo due to Voicewing's termination of service.

The problem happens 40-50% of the time for me, but if you hang up and try again it may then work just fine to the SAME number so its not a specific ILEC or carrier.

If it helps, I'm in central NJ with FiOS (20mb/5mb).

Let me know if I can provide any tracerts or anything else.

MikeyRam
We can set your account so that we handle your audio path directly and see if that helps for you if you'd like. So far, we've had nearly a 100% success rate with that and any users having quality issues.

Let me know if you want to try it.

MikeyRam

Somerville, NJ

Thanks Tim- Please do whatever you feel would help. My wife is about to throw me and the adapter out into the cold...

Let me know if I need to reboot or anything.

regards,

Michael

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA

said by MikeyRam:

Thanks Tim- Please do whatever you feel would help. My wife is about to throw me and the adapter out into the cold...

Let me know if I need to reboot or anything.

regards,

Michael
Done. Go ahead and reboot.

Also since you're still using the HT502 do you have any issues with losing registration?

If so, definitely contact support for a replacement Linksys device. There were quite a few faulty Grandstreams that had that issue.

MikeyRam

Somerville, NJ

Tim-

Just rebooted. A few test calls to my office's voicemail system worked OK.

I was primarily using Voicewing when the registration problems were going on, so I can't say if I'm in that 10%, but Support did agree to send me a Linksys since I used them successfully with previous services. It should be here in a day or so.

Thanks for the late night support!

MikeyRam

MikeyRam

Somerville, NJ

Update for Tim and the gang- I got the static later last night and again today. As of 8:20 PM tonight I just swapped in the Linksys PAP2T. Dial tone is more pleasant sounding and no static (yet).

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Thanks for posting MikeyRam. Sorry you are having the issue also.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Any updates for you Mikey?

MikeyRam

Somerville, NJ

So far, running the PAP2T with default settings and 3.x firmware, it has been good. I'll try some more calls tonight and report back.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

I hope everything gets working for you two.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

I am currently working with Brandon to move over to East01 for both adapters. I put the Grandstream 502 back online.

MikeyRam

Somerville, NJ

So far- no angry phone calls from my wife and I've been unable to recreate the static myself...of course I've now jinxed it...

Ptrowski- not sure if you have any friends/relatives nearby, but would you consider taking your PAP2 and a POTS phone and trying it elsewhere? That would totally remove your LAN as a variable here. I assume you experience the static and DTMF tones often enough that you'd know fairly soon if the PAP2 was part of the problem or not.

Sorry- I hate unresolved tech problems!

MikeyRam

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by MikeyRam:

So far- no angry phone calls from my wife and I've been unable to recreate the static myself...of course I've now jinxed it...

Ptrowski- not sure if you have any friends/relatives nearby, but would you consider taking your PAP2 and a POTS phone and trying it elsewhere? That would totally remove your LAN as a variable here. I assume you experience the static and DTMF tones often enough that you'd know fairly soon if the PAP2 was part of the problem or not.

Sorry- I hate unresolved tech problems!

MikeyRam
I haven't noticed it since my last posting about it, so the fingers are crossed.

To quote burris, when it works it works well.
--

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA

4 edits
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

I am currently working with Brandon to move over to East01 for both adapters. I put the Grandstream 502 back online.
I'm glad to hear you haven't had any more quality issues.

As far as the HT502s though, just keep in mind that we recalled the 502s for a reason, so we can't provide any ongoing support if they continue to lose registration.

If a user has one that works, that's fine, but the officialy policy internally is that if a user has any issues with them that they're to be replaced with a PAP2 and not be troubleshooted.

I understand you like the 502, but we wouldn't have spent a huge amount of money on recalling/replacing a truckload of them if they all worked properly and maintained their registration.

I'm just being honest and warning you upfront that continuing to use a 502 that has had the registration issue basically guarantees you'll continue to lose registration constantly.

That's the reason we don't offer them any longer and recalled them.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by VOIPoTim:

said by ptrowski:

As far as the HT502s though, just keep in mind that we recalled the 502s for a reason, so we can't provide any ongoing support if they continue to lose registration.

I understand you like the 502, but we wouldn't have spent a huge amount of money on recalling/replacing a truckload of them if they all worked properly and maintained their registration.

That's the reason we don't offer them any longer.
I understand completely and you would not hear a peep out of me should it lose registration. I put it back in service because as my wife was speaking to her grandfather last night who is about the undergo an aggressive chemo/radiation regimen today he asked why the phone was making beeps while she was talking.

--

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA

said by ptrowski:

said by VOIPoTim:

said by ptrowski:

That's the reason we don't offer them any longer.
I understand completely and you would not hear a peep out of me should it lose registration. I put it back in service because as my wife was speaking to her grandfather last night who is about the undergo an aggressive chemo/radiation regimen today he asked why the phone was making beeps while she was talking.

OK. Just making sure you knew.

BTW, I just PMed you as well about it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by VOIPoTim:

OK. Just making sure you knew.

BTW, I just PMed you as well about it.
Murphy's Law....
--

burris
Premium
join:2000-08-22
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by ptrowski:

said by VOIPoTim:

Murphy's Law....
By the way, today is Murphy's day, isn't it..

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by burris:

said by ptrowski:

said by VOIPoTim:

Murphy's Law....
By the way, today is Murphy's day, isn't it..
Very true...
--

miv

join:2006-01-03
Marlboro, NJ
reply to ptrowski

Funny, but I got kind of the same noise thing with PAP2 tonight. It's not completely "static", that is it's not just level "sshhhhhh", reminds AM radio when tuned between stations. And only the other side hears it. And calling again usually helps, but once I started experimenting, well, I got it in about 1/3 of calls.

miv

join:2006-01-03
Marlboro, NJ

2 edits

Oh, wow, there are many threads on pap2 noise, some are dated 2007, and, ptrowski, you were in them

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by miv:

Oh, wow, there are many threads on pap2 noise, some are dated 2007, and, ptrowski, you were in them
Yep. The PAP2 has had a history of some background noise. The DTMF tone issue I think you will start hearing more about as more and more PAP2's come online.

Tim, has there been any ideas as to what would cause the issue that I had originally mentioned?
--