Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to lxw15

Re: [Scam] Ebay Motors Scam

As the post directly before yours clearly states there are "thousands of eastern European criminals involved in the online vehicle scam and fraud", how can you possibly name thousands of criminals in a Class Action? You can't obviously.

You will most likely have to chalk this up to a hard lesson learned as your money is long gone sadly. What did they do that made you trust them and not verify what they were telling you? Was it the price being *MUCH* lower than the vehicle was really worth/should be sold for and you were impatient so you blindly sent the money as a cash transfer like Money Gram or Western Union? Did you not know there was no shipping service for previewing cars? Did you go to fake escrow sites and not find out about their being frauds sites until after you sent your money? I'm very sorry that you were a victim, but you may have made it possible by not fully practicing due diligence.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

rzaruba

join:2000-08-04

1 edit

said by Doctor Olds See ProfileI'm very sorry that you were a victim, but you may have made it possible by not fully practicing due diligence.
I think of this EVERY time I see a newspaper article with the stock picture of the sad "victims."

The articles never mention the GREED that led them into the situation in the first place.

So maybe we're not dealing with "victims" in a lot of these cases, but people who got just what they deserved.

Cincinnatian

@fuse.net
reply to Hwnsista

I fell victim to an 'ebay motors scam' in July 2007. I placed online bid that got rejected but later received a very detailed 'counterfeit' invoice, after correspondence, carfax, etc.., I wired $8,500 into a bank account (thought it was Ebay Motors account) & never got the vehicle. July 2009, exactly two years later, after much persistence, the 'receiver' of my money went before a judge, was found guilty of fraud, sentenced 6 months, 3 years of probation & ordered to pay me restitution.

The on-line posted 'story lines' are all simply a 'BS' smoke screen containing 'borrowed' Vin #'s, photos, fake names etc... The 'stories' change but it is likely the same individual(s) that repeatably post ads & may even organize 'money mules' to collect wired funds. Another victim's money went into a bank account just 10 miles from where mine went and our cases likely linked. She like I, got the 'run-around' from various government agencies that said they'd or should have helped. If you too are a victim, the most valuable 'step' I took was contacting a police officer in the 'financial crimes division' in the 'city where money was wired to', filing a report & following up. That county's government website may have links to their District Attorney's office, and a task force dedicated to on-line fraud victims. If you are a victim & would like more tips, I'd be glad to help, if I can! Don't give up!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by Cincinnatian :

I fell victim to an 'ebay motors scam' in July 2007. I placed online bid that got rejected but later received a very detailed 'counterfeit' invoice, after correspondence, carfax, etc.., I wired $8,500 into a bank account (thought it was Ebay Motors account) & never got the vehicle. July 2009, exactly two years later, after much persistence, the 'receiver' of my money went before a judge, was found guilty of fraud, sentenced 6 months, 3 years of probation & ordered to pay me restitution.
Those are called "second chance offer scams" and used by scam artists on eBay bidders that didn't win. You are fortunate to have found the thief. Have you gotten your money back or just the judgment?

If you get a second chance offer, go to "My e-Bay" and click on "My Messages". If it isn't stored there, it isn't real.

ASK THE ATTORNEY GENERAL: How can I avoid the "Second Chance" scam on eBay?
»www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumer···?id=1761
quote:
To most consumers, eBay is a household name. It is an online auction for people not only in the United States, but around the world, to buy and sell virtually anything. While eBay is exciting to use, buyers should beware that consumers have already been victimized by the recent "Second Chance" scam.

What is the "Second Chance" scam?

Bidding on an item for sale is often fierce with multiple bidders and only one winner. "Second Chance" scams occur when the bidders who did not win the auction are targeted by a scam artist. When the auction closes, the thief poses as the seller and sends an email to each of the remaining bidders saying the sale fell through and the item is once again for sale. Each bidder thinks they are the only one being given the opportunity to buy the item. The losing bidders are so happy for the second chance they immediately mail their checks, wire the money or pay by credit card. Unfortunately, the thief, who is only posing as the seller does not have the item to sell and takes the money and runs.
Scam Takes Advantage of Ebay's "Second Chance Offers"
»www.americanbottle.com/second_ch···_aba.htm
quote:
4/22/05- SACRAMENTO, CA- A dangerous new scam, directed at Ebay customers, has emerged. If you think you're not vulnerable, you may want to think again. The new "second chance offer" scam works like this. A person puts a bottle on Ebay, it gets, say, 20 bids. It finally sells, and the buyer and seller are happy as clams. Meanwhile, this thief emails the underbidders. Maybe one, two, who knows? They claim that the winner decided he didn't want the item (which does happen from time to time). They also say that, since you are the underbidder, you are given first right to purchase it as a "second chance offer". The underbidder thinks how lucky they are, sends a check to this sleazebag, then waits for the item to be sent to them. Unbeknownst to them, this person never had any intention of sending this victim anything. His only intention is to cash their check.

A friend of mine was recently a victim of this scam and it cost him over $3000. Then, shortly after hearing about my friends unfortunate experience, American Bottle Auctions sold a Corn for the World on Ebay and the third underbidder sent me this message-- "Someone sent me a second chance offer on this item, Corn for the World . I was the 3rd highest bidder, the email they gave me is (email address)... just thought you might want to know." We've left out the true email address and we've forwarded it to Ebay. They quickly responded and said that indeed it's a problem. Here's their response in regard to the "second chance offers":

The message your bidder received is obviously fraudulent and is not a part of eBay's second chance offer program. A real second chance offer would have offered a "Buy It Now" link so the buyer could buy the item directly on the eBay site and be able to see his/her User ID as the winner.

Craigslist Scams and Fraudulent Use of Vehicle Purchase Protection
»forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Ebay-M···10078002
quote:
All members should read this important warning.

If you shop on websites other than eBay, you should exercise caution if someone emails you claiming to be an eBay representative!

We are seeing an increase in reports of fake eBay Motors transactions that originate automotive websites other than eBay, such as Craigslist.

Fraudsters are sending online shoppers fake email messages claiming to be from the eBay Trust and Safety Department, the eBay Motors Finance Center, an eBay Escrow Agent, or from the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. These emails are all fake and often contain links to spoof websites that contain pages that look like authentic eBay Motors web pages, but are not. The fake eBay sites might even ask you for personal information and then send you fake eBay “Personalized Payment” instructions.

Don’t be fooled!
If you are shopping on Craigslist or another website that offers classified ads, you should follow the community warnings (such as these from Craigslist) and meet and pay the seller in person. And if you exchange emails with someone who claims to be an “agent” of eBay you should be very cautious. Fraudsters often send spoof emails that appear to be from eBay (or one of our partners), but are not.

Never pay with MoneyGram or Western Union. Western Union and MoneyGram are prohibited as a payment method on eBay Motors. eBay will never recommend that you use either to pay for a vehicle.

It is important to remember, eBay does not “validate” listings, provide escrow services, or make payment arrangements on behalf of sellers. To verify that an email claiming to be from eBay is legitimate you should sign in to your My eBay account and check your In Box. If the email is legitimate you will find a copy in your My eBay In Box. If you don’t find the same message in your In Box, it is fake.

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

perhaps

@fuse.net
reply to rzaruba

Really? I think your comment seems a bit on the cruel side! Quick to assume it was due to greed. NOBODY deserves to be defrauded unless perhaps they've defrauded someone else or are quick to judge others (so, I'd be careful!). In my case, my car got totalled & I was physically injured (not at fault) I knew others whom purchased cars on Ebay and given the situation, it seemed to be the most logical means.