Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to thively

Premium Member

to thively

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

said by thively:

said by AVonGauss:

said by dadkins:

Also, no channel bonding would occur if you didn't subscribe to one of the D3 service levels.
Are you sure about that? I don't believe the number of bonding channels is dependent on the service level, but I could also be wrong.
My SB6120 is bonding 3 channels and I only have 16Mbps Blast service. I upgraded the modem (bought my own) but haven't upgraded my service level.

Getting up to 90Mbps Power Boost. The burst is so short because it's so fast it's hard to measure because it drops to 16 nearly immediately.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2 3 1
Frequency 681000000 Hz 687000000 Hz 705000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256

Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK [3] 64QAM
said by C_Chipperson:

(example) If I am on the 12/2 tier, and buy a D3 modem, would my powerboost speed increase? Would the modem utilize channel bonding? I understand that sustained speeds would be 12/2 but just curious
And so as I just mentioned, I am getting faster power boost speeds while staying on my 16/2 "Blast1" tier. Up isn't any faster Still 8-10Mbps, but down is ridiculous. I don't know if that's totally normal as most people don't report that kind of power boost, either that or they're not testing from the right source.
I'm using »speedtest.comcast.net/ along with windows perfmon to monitor and graph the network speed.

The attached graph is going through a switch and a router. But when I plug my computer directly in to the cable modem I've seen it almost peg 100Mbps.
actually alot of people on D3 service have reported 90+Mbit (120 being the most I've heard so far)

and it makes since that the Powerboost is insane unless that add something into the config to dsiable bonding (would be counter productive normaly) then in a D3 enabled area if a D3 modem is used the available bandwidth would be 38*# of channels

and as the available bandwidth is higher the powerboost will be higher

that said if a D3 modem is used in anarea thats undergoing testing convertion sync you might not have the channels allthe time (if they are switching it on and off at the cmts and not expecting any D3 users
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

and it makes since that the Powerboost is insane unless that add something into the config to dsiable bonding (would be counter productive normaly) then in a D3 enabled area if a D3 modem is used the available bandwidth would be 38*# of channels
The change would be on the CMTS side I believe, but I doubt (guessing) that they will go out of their way to artificially curb the PowerBoost effect as it will level itself out naturally through attrition as more D3 modems are brought online on the segment. At the moment, I would imagine its current net effect is more positive than not as it would seem to be a good way to advertise the capabilities of D3.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

The change would be on the CMTS side I believe, but I doubt (guessing) that they will go out of their way to artificially curb the PowerBoost effect as it will level itself out naturally through attrition as more D3 modems are brought online on the segment. At the moment, I would imagine its current net effect is more positive than not as it would seem to be a good way to advertise the capabilities of D3.
Powerboost will indeed be rate limited in the future. In some markets very soon.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member