spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jaghar
join:2001-01-30
Painesville, OH

Jaghar

Look At Electric Utility Deregulation

It really sounds like the telecoms want a system similar to what the electric utility industry has gone to because of deregulation.

There are generating companies (providers) and transmission (infrastructure...pipes).

The utility in Illinois wants the utilities in California and Ohio for "shipping" electricity from Ohio to California via their lines.

It's a legitimate issue because the lines in Illinois where probably never designed for cross country "traffic" combined with the local "traffic". That's one of the reasons that transmission is still regulated.

It's very complicated.

Transfer that over to the internet world, and you have at&t upgrading their equipment because of "joes info service" traffic from Comcast. You can bet joe isn't paying at&t for bandwidth, yet at&t suffers a financially.

However, with that said, I really don't sympathize with the pipe owners and telecoms. Google from California should absolutely not have to pay for at&t equipment in Ohio (directly). I just don't know the answer to the problem.

Well...I know one answer, but it involves the government...and we really don't want that.
bngdup
join:2007-02-20
Old Bridge, NJ

bngdup

The problem is not a problem at all. They carriers get paid by all sides for the traffic. The carriers ship information. ITS WHAT THEY GET PAID TO DO. The do not get paid to create content. The issue is that they are able to single out a few companies that are making boatloads of money and they want to share in that because everyone wants money. No different than the Mob asking local businesses for "Protection" fees.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Jaghar

to Jaghar
said by Jaghar:

It really sounds like the telecoms want a system similar to what the electric utility industry has gone to because of deregulation.

There are generating companies (providers) and transmission (infrastructure...pipes).

The utility in Illinois wants the utilities in California and Ohio for "shipping" electricity from Ohio to California via their lines.

It's a legitimate issue because the lines in Illinois where probably never designed for cross country "traffic" combined with the local "traffic". That's one of the reasons that transmission is still regulated.

It's very complicated.

Transfer that over to the internet world, and you have at&t upgrading their equipment because of "joes info service" traffic from Comcast. You can bet joe isn't paying at&t for bandwidth, yet at&t suffers a financially.
That's bull because what about "joe info service" traffic from at&t that goes over Comcast's pipes? See it goes both way. That's what you call a push.

at&t isn't suffering anyways. Not when they literally charge 10,000X the actual cost of a text message. not when ther wirless data plans have $503 per GB overage fees. at&T is just fine.

Besides if I can't use the internet for anything there is no point in having it and at&t won't get ANY business.
Jaghar
join:2001-01-30
Painesville, OH

Jaghar

What I'm saying is that joe is connected to Comcast and his customer is connected to at&t.

Don't misunderstand my opinion. I'm saying I understand their issue, however I don't agree with their resolution.
Jaghar

Jaghar to bngdup

to bngdup
Well...joe pays Comcast since he's hooked up to it.

The customer pays at&t because he's hooked up to it.

I would venture that there are some pipes in between not owned by either company that don't get any money from the transaction.

Either way..I don't agree with the telecom's desired resolution. I firmly think that greed is the ultimate reason for their resolution and nothing to do with expanding, maintaining and upgrading their system.

lovswr
join:2001-09-15
Riverview, FL

lovswr to Jaghar

to Jaghar
Well let me take a stab at it

Probably the Government should become the "dumb pipe" provider. AT&T et al are really complaining because there is no revenue GROWTH as just the pipe holder (all puns intended).

So, IMHO, it would be best if the Government just provided the access & let anybody provide the service (that is access to the pipes). All service providers would pay a percentage (say 2%) of their own revenue to the Government to pay for the upkeep/maintenance. & so on & so forth for the pipes. Then the service providers would, you know, actually have to compete with each other over who gives better service. Now of course the AT&T's of the world would scream bloody murder over stranded/legacy costs (even though we the public heavily subsidized these networks) so we would have to bribe them.

Say we pay them a one time amount equal to 20% of each companies (the existing dumb pip providers) CAPEX for the last 3 years. I realize that this would be a huge amount of money, it is the only way I can see that this idea could get off the ground.