spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mruhn

join:2003-08-26
Richardson, TX

How to bridge/extend home network w/ Uverse?

Hi, I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I have a 3800HGV-B Gateway with my Uverse service, and use it for both physical and wireless connections around the house. The problem is the range isn't good enough to use devices wirelessly in my game room.

I haven't kept up with networking tech lately as the one router has been good enough for my needs until I purchased a larger home. What are my options here? Can a wireless bridge be used with this router to extend the wireless range, i.e., is there a wireless device that I can put in another room that will connect to my router, thus doubling my wireless coverage?

I have an older Uverse router from my previous home that they never took back. Can that be used to solve my issue? Any help/tips is much appreciated!

TheDuck6

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
Just put another wireless router on and run a cable to it. You can have multiple wireless routers. Just have different SSID and channel.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
It's much better if you can run a wire to the second access point. But you can wirelessly extend the network too, at the expense of halving your maximum throughput.

A Linksys router running DD-WRT is definitely able to wirelessly extend the U-verse RG. I've tried it, and it works. There's off-the-shelf products like the Linksys WRE-54G that are designed to do wireless range extending too, although most require WDS and I'm not sure if the U-verse RG works with that or not.
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to mruhn
If you're willing, you can probably get a tech out to "extend" the use of your RG by the way of a 8 port netgear switch that they should provide (also, if something happens to that switch, it's supported/covered by AT&T) and it can extend how many things are plugged into the RG by a max of 7 ports. I work for U-Verse as Tier 2 Technical support, you should be able to get this for no charge, since it wasn't done during your installation, and you might be able to get them to run the Cat 5e to that room, and hook up the switch, and then add a wireless access point on that switch to have wireless availability in that room, not only that, but it saves you time, and saves you money buying the equipment, if you need any assistance, just PM me your billing account number, and your call back number so I can assist you.

mruhn

Richardson, TX
Wow, why would AT&T be willing to do all that for free? Sounds almost too good to be true, but I guess I will give it a shot. Thanks for the other replies everyone.

So can I actually use a second 2Wire router as my secondary wireless access point? Like I said, I have an old one sitting around, I could run a cat5 to it up to the room (or the attic). All wireless would be easier, but doesn't sound quite as effective. Hmm...

Tech

@ameritech.net
reply to mmay149q
Not going to happen for free. The techs do not carry wireless access points, only the RG. You will be billed for a truck roll and for running the new line.

mruhn

Richardson, TX
reply to mruhn
Ok I have chained both of my 2Wire routers together, but cannot get service to work on the second one. I ran a cable out of one of the local ethernet ports on my primary router to the broadband input on the secondary one. The broadband light stays green, but the service light blinks and eventually turns red. Anyone know what settings I need to change on one or both routers to make them like each other? Thanks!

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use your old U-verse 2wire RG from your previous residence along with your current 2wire RG. When people are telling you to add another router, they're referring to something like Netgear, D-link, Linksys, etc that you'd purchase somewhere.

mruhn

Richardson, TX
said by scots:

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use your old U-verse 2wire RG from your previous residence along with your current 2wire RG. When people are telling you to add another router, they're referring to something like Netgear, D-link, Linksys, etc that you'd purchase somewhere.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I'll just have to run to Fry's and pick one up I guess. Oh well. Thanks.

wirphotos

join:2002-07-22
Green Bay, WI
reply to mruhn
I have read that others were given a switch when they got installed. The tech never offered me a switch. I have my RG maxed out and have a couple more things to hook up.

So they will give free switches out? Can they mail them to those of us who were never given one? Or stop at an AT&T store and pick one up?

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium
join:2007-01-20

1 edit
reply to mruhn
I just wired the house with cat5e, and use the wireless for the WII. Pain in the rear crawling around in the attic with fish tape, drill and wire ties, but it's done and it works! Everything terminates at a D-link 8-port gigabit switch, then down to the RG by the TV set. I was offered a 5-port hub (probably a switch, based on the installer's general level of network knowledge) but I preferred to use my own.
--
Read your contract and TOS before signing anything.