All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Does router have cable modem bulit in?

I need a router because I'm planning on signing up with Comcast. I don't want to pay their rental fee for the cable modem they provide, but I'm not sure if most routers these days would have a built in cable modem or not.

Thanks for replies or even some good low cost recommendations.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
I would say no but you really need to go to their web site and view what available.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to on target 2009
The Comcast forum would be the best place to know what 3rd party cable modems also have routers that would work with Comcast.
»Comcast

All of the ones I found at Linksys (BEF series) is simply a router with switch with no built in modem.

It could very well be extremely difficult if not impossible to find a cable modem with built in router that you can buy.

Also important to note that Comcast in no way will support the modem or router portion. You will be on your own with any issues.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

While "most" routers do not come with a built in modem, be it cable or DSL, they do indeed exist.

Personally, I prefer a separate modem and router, but it is not a biggie either way.

Not promoting anybody, but I've seen the Cable/Router combos at Staples.
--
Deeds, not words

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to on target 2009
Yes indeed, and you're better off, really, with separate modem and router, and it will likely be cheaper I'm guessing, but perhaps no.

shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD
reply to on target 2009
Routers set up easily for cable right out of the box. Just get your cable setup to the computer and it is pretty easy to then put the router in after. I actually did a self install of the internet because I had cable. This was back in the excite@home days though.
--
Simple rules - no offsides, no intent to maim, everything else is all good!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
They don't want just a router - they are trying to get a modem so they don't have to rent one.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to on target 2009
I also prefer separate units, but combination units are available. This one is on the approved Comcast list also. Here is a Motorola modem/wireles router combo that is available. »www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboar···001MQSB2
Here is a link to more good info:»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

ComTech 4
Premium
join:2002-11-28
USA
reply to on target 2009
RCA DCW725

Motorola SBG940

Motorola SBG900

Netgear CG814WG

Linksys WCG200

Thoes are all combos. Remember you do not have any control over the firmware on these devices. Comcast controls it all. They put what firmware they want on these devices.

I allways preferred having the modem and a router separate. You can buy a modem so you dont have to rent

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

It could very well be extremely difficult if not impossible to find a cable modem with built in router that you can buy.
Not true. Why do you state that ?

I.M.O., gateway devices bite !! I would never use one !!

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
said by EG:

I.M.O., gateway devices bite !! I would never use one !!
I couldn't have said that any better myself.

Personally, I have had nothing but trouble with the Linksys WCG200 and Netgear CG814WG that comcast has rented out to subscribers. Every client that I have that has had one of these devices has had issues with them, I would avoid them like the plague. Get a separate modem and router and be done with it.
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

DavisPhotog
Flyingphotog
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-26
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to on target 2009
I think the best way to phrase it is a gateway device, or a modem that has a built-in router.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Actually, at least a couple of the manufacturers (D-Link, and Linksys, I believe) offer combo modem/router units for both cable and DSL (though they are not interchangeable).

Personally, I prefer separate units.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to on target 2009
Like a poster said above, it is better to have your router separate from your modem. My advice? Go out and buy a Linksys router (I have had the WRT54GL for years and it has always worked great....And you can load third party firmware in it...It is only b/g though), and purchase a good compatible modem that works well with Comcast. Go to Newegg and check out what they have, or look around the web.
--
"That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to on target 2009
said by on target 2009 :

I need a router because I'm planning on signing up with Comcast. I don't want to pay their rental fee for the cable modem they provide, but I'm not sure if most routers these days would have a built in cable modem or not.

Thanks for replies or even some good low cost recommendations.
with cable modem with wireless router built in

is Crap as there is NO UPGRADES FOR FIRMWARE!

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lordpuffer
I can understand the desire to have an "all in one" unit even though from a technology view point one is better off with separate modem and router.

Some people, unlike most of us, are not geeks who believe the one with the most "stuff" at the end "wins".

There are people ( I have one in my family ) who just wants it simple and basic. Why have 2 boxes, an extra cat5 cable and an extra wall wart when one could do it?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

2 edits
said by pende_tim:

There are people ( I have one in my family ) who just wants it simple and basic. Why have 2 boxes, an extra cat5 cable and an extra wall wart when one could do it?
If all you need to do is surf the Web, and read email, a combo unit is just fine. But for anyone willing to pay for all that blazing past-DSL-speed, the router side of the combo unit may turn out to be a limiting factor.

I don't know how it is with the cable combo units; but many who get the DSL combo units wind up bridging the combo unit and putting a beefier router between it and the computers. Doing that, one might as well buy the modem only (cheaper) from the get-go, and the beefier router.

--
Norman

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by CylonRed:

Actually, at least a couple of the manufacturers (D-Link, and Linksys, I believe) offer combo modem/router units for both cable and DSL (though they are not interchangeable).

Personally, I prefer separate units.
I looked at Linksys and found nothing - they have cable/dsl routers but they explained that the cable modem had to be connected to the router (the BEF family of hardware).

This link from searching Linksys with the string "cable modem and router"
»www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/pro···/BEFSR41
quote:
Just connect your DSL or Cable Modem to the EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch and all the computers in your household can share a wired connetion to the Internet, at the same time.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to on target 2009
lots of combo units available. avoid them. even comcast doesnt use them anymore. they are junk.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by pende_tim:

If all you need to do is surf the Web, and read email, a combo unit is just fine. But for anyone willing to pay for all that blazing past-DSL-speed, the router side of the combo unit may turn out to be a limiting factor.

I don't know how it is with the cable combo units; but many who get the DSL combo units wind up bridging the combo unit and putting a beefier router between it and the computers. Doing that, one might as well buy the modem only (cheaper) from the get-go, and the beefier router.

I think this pretty much sums it up perfectly. If all you are doing is basic web and email and very little else, by all means go for the all-in-one solution if that is what you want.

But if you think you are going to make more use of it later, spend the money now on separate devices.

And if you do go for the all in one unit, don't go for the offering from Comcast. If not because of the limitations they usually put in, but because it also adds an extra 'home networking' fee on your bill for most providers that goes month to month in addition to the broadband subscription.

Yes, the all in one units are available if you look. They aren't as common as standalone routers, but they ARE out there and are well differentiated. If anything, just ask the sales people at whatever store you decide to search and specify specifically what you are after.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

jupiter

join:2001-03-09
Chicago, IL
reply to on target 2009
If you are getting Comcast voice then you will use the voice modem as your internet modem. If you want wireless then you have the option of renting a wireless router from them for $2 a month or purchasing your own. If you are not getting voice you can buy your own modem or rent one from them for $5 (they keep changing the price of modems etc.)

Before you purchase anything make sure you look at their list to ensure it will work with their service. I have been through this. If you need any help please feel free to IM me. Ah, one last thing....make sure to find out what speeds your area is upgraded to. Comcast tends to lie and try to sell you higher speeds when your area is not upgraded yet. It happened to me a couple weeks ago and messed up my entire set up. Dont ask.

jupiter

join:2001-03-09
Chicago, IL
reply to on target 2009
If you have Voice with Comcast you don't have the choice of getting a gateway (modem and router all in one). Comcast has stopped using home gateways due to all of the problems they have been having. The ideal situation if you are only getting internet is to purchase a separate modem and router (if you need wireless). DO NOT GO WITH AN ALL IN ONE GATEWAY! You will have nothing but problems!

Agent Smith

join:2008-07-07
New York
reply to on target 2009
They do have firmware updates sometimes.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
said by Agent Smith:

They do have firmware updates sometimes.
Ya but you don't have control over them on combo units

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to jupiter
said by jupiter:

If you are getting Comcast voice then you will use the voice modem as your internet modem.
Not necessarily. Posts here have indicated that there is an option (and sometimes their install techs use this option) to use their eMTA for the CDV service, and a seperate modem for their HSI service.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
correct, it all depends on the house wiring setup, as well as if the customer wants to pay an extra $3 potentially for renting an extra modem...more often then not, your emta rental is free so your not adding any extra charges

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I looked at Linksys and found nothing - they have cable/dsl routers but they explained that the cable modem had to be connected to the router (the BEF family of hardware).
They used to sell a BEFCMU10, but I don't see it as a currently listed product.

»www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/sup···download
--
Norman