MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed to on target 2009

MVM

to on target 2009

Re: Does router have cable modem bulit in?

The Comcast forum would be the best place to know what 3rd party cable modems also have routers that would work with Comcast.
»Comcast

All of the ones I found at Linksys (BEF series) is simply a router with switch with no built in modem.

It could very well be extremely difficult if not impossible to find a cable modem with built in router that you can buy.

Also important to note that Comcast in no way will support the modem or router portion. You will be on your own with any issues.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

While "most" routers do not come with a built in modem, be it cable or DSL, they do indeed exist.

Personally, I prefer a separate modem and router, but it is not a biggie either way.

Not promoting anybody, but I've seen the Cable/Router combos at Staples.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

It could very well be extremely difficult if not impossible to find a cable modem with built in router that you can buy.
Not true. Why do you state that ?

I.M.O., gateway devices bite !! I would never use one !!

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman

MVM

said by EG:

I.M.O., gateway devices bite !! I would never use one !!
I couldn't have said that any better myself.

Personally, I have had nothing but trouble with the Linksys WCG200 and Netgear CG814WG that comcast has rented out to subscribers. Every client that I have that has had one of these devices has had issues with them, I would avoid them like the plague. Get a separate modem and router and be done with it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Actually, at least a couple of the manufacturers (D-Link, and Linksys, I believe) offer combo modem/router units for both cable and DSL (though they are not interchangeable).

Personally, I prefer separate units.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by NormanS:

said by CylonRed:

Actually, at least a couple of the manufacturers (D-Link, and Linksys, I believe) offer combo modem/router units for both cable and DSL (though they are not interchangeable).

Personally, I prefer separate units.
I looked at Linksys and found nothing - they have cable/dsl routers but they explained that the cable modem had to be connected to the router (the BEF family of hardware).

This link from searching Linksys with the string "cable modem and router"
»www.linksysbycisco.com/U ··· /BEFSR41
quote:
Just connect your DSL or Cable Modem to the EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch and all the computers in your household can share a wired connetion to the Internet, at the same time.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by CylonRed:

I looked at Linksys and found nothing - they have cable/dsl routers but they explained that the cable modem had to be connected to the router (the BEF family of hardware).
They used to sell a BEFCMU10, but I don't see it as a currently listed product.

»www.linksysbycisco.com/U ··· download