Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

said by daveinpoway:

In order to to encourage sales of this new model, Motorola should have allowed it to be provisioned as a SB5120 (or some other DOCSIS 2.0 model) now, so that it could operate in DOCSIS 2.0 mode until the customer's ISP upgrades to 3.0 service.

I think the problem is having a config file ready, ie Motorola provides a generic config file to the cable company, then the cable company decides what settings need to be adjusted for their system, and builds (or pays Motorola in this case to do it) a config file for each tier they plan to offer, tests it, tweaks it if nessesary, retests, etc.
Moto would probably provide a D2 version if requested/payed for, but Cox maynot be willing to release it, or may still be testing.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

What I was envisioning would be the SB6120 telling the provisioning system "Hello, I am an SB5120", so that whatever provisioning was used for that model would set up the 6120 for DOCSIS 2.0 service, without the need to develop/test any additional configuration files. Then, in the future, the proper file could be sent out to enable the DOCSIS 3.0 capabilities of the SB6120.

Obviously, I do not know the internal details of the SB6120, but it seems like Motorola could have programmed in a default condition such that this model would accept and respond to the 5120 configuration files that the ISP is already using.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

I'm not sure I see the value in that.
Rather then expending time/money/energy on making the 6120 act like a 5120 (sort of like buying a truck with a big V-8 and then cutting 7 of the sparkplug wires)
when with less effort/time/money you could write a generic "I'm a 6120, but I only run in D2 mode"
or what's really needed, "I'm a 6120,running in D3 backward compatible mode, limited to XXX/xxx speeds"
But any given cable provider stiil needs to be sure that mode will work on their system before they go with a system wide release.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

I guess there are several options as to what Motorola could have done.