Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ctggzg

Re: Google Uses Your Browser History To Target Ads

Or perhaps you should be rational and not paranoid.
I'm quite rational, and not at all paranoid, thank you.

On starting the browser, I delete all cookies except for a few sites. I do retain dslreports cookies (to maintain my login). I delete because cookies result in unwanted behavior. When I go back to a site, I want to see it the same as I saw it the first time.

I am sometimes investigating malware sites. And some of those sites set a cookie, so that they redirect to somewhere else on a second visit. That makes investigation harder. So I shut down and restart the browser and I am back to the way it was on the first visit.

Flash cookies have not thus far been much of a problem. But they are a potential risk. And flash cookies set in one browser profile can affect a different browser profile or even a different browser, so there is a potential for problems there.
--
AT&T dsl; Westell 327w modem/router; openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.6

FunnyBones
Premium
join:2004-01-22
usa
kudos:1

2 edits

said by nwrickert:

Or perhaps you should be rational and not paranoid.
I'm quite rational, and not at all paranoid, thank you.

On starting the browser, I delete all cookies except for a few sites. I do retain dslreports cookies (to maintain my login). I delete because cookies result in unwanted behavior. When I go back to a site, I want to see it the same as I saw it the first time.

I am sometimes investigating malware sites. And some of those sites set a cookie, so that they redirect to somewhere else on a second visit. That makes investigation harder. So I shut down and restart the browser and I am back to the way it was on the first visit.

Flash cookies have not thus far been much of a problem. But they are a potential risk. And flash cookies set in one browser profile can affect a different browser profile or even a different browser, so there is a potential for problems there.
Flash web beacon's like web pages hulu.com and yahoo.com Application Data\Macromedia

I agree its not being paranoid as pages advertise products to you in sneaky little ways and it is becoming worse then all the years of spyware by big corporation's that will have ads when you walk in a mall etc.

I really question those that don't take privacy seriously or use the term if you have nothing to hide why worry about it.
--
Fb:2009 The nightmare men have returned.

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4
reply to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

Flash cookies have not thus far been much of a problem. But they are a potential risk.

Why not just set preferences not to accept them?

----
rich

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by mysec:

said by nwrickert:

Flash cookies have not thus far been much of a problem. But they are a potential risk.
Why not just set preferences not to accept them?
I don't recall an option for that, though I know there are some flash options such as limiting the size of saved data for a site.

I use flashblock, so I don't get flash cookies from very many sites. But there are a few sites where I want to save preferences, so I can't just turn off globally. My choice would be a script I can run periodically that nukes everything in the flash saved data, except for that from the few sites where I want to keep preferences. I just haven't got around to doing that yet.
--
AT&T dsl; Westell 327w modem/router; openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.6

mysec
Premium

You can set preferences here:

»www.macromedia.com/support/docum···r03.html

I think you can choose to store information on selected sites, but I'm not sure:

»www.macromedia.com/support/docum···r07.html

Site settings are stored in the settings.sol file in your Macromedia/Sys directory.

----
rich

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

said by mysec:

You can set preferences here:

»www.macromedia.com/support/docum···r03.html

I think you can choose to store information on selected sites, but I'm not sure:

»www.macromedia.com/support/docum···r07.html
Yes, that's right.
But, e.g., you have to allow a cookie from YouTube in order to log-in if you have an account there (you need to do that here at DSLR too, for that matter).
You don't have to allow any Flash storage on your computer to view videos at YouTube and other such sites, but if you don't you're constantly bombarded with a pop-up asking over-and-over if you'd like to allow the storage. A real PITA.

I find it's easier to just allow the Flash storage for sites that I frequent regularly, then clean out the storage folders from my machine every so often.

Cookies they can go pound sand on, with the exception of a small handful of sites that I either have an account with, frequent regularly, or require a cookie to use the site.
But even those cookies only last as long as my browser session, and sometimes not even that long.

mysec
Premium

said by AB:

I find it's easier to just allow the Flash storage for sites that I frequent regularly, then clean out the storage folders from my machine every so often.

That is my method also. The settings are stored in settings.sol in the Macromedia/Sys directory. Using Deep Freeze here, anything written to C:\ is discarded on reboot.

----
rich