share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to tshirt

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

What I was envisioning would be the SB6120 telling the provisioning system "Hello, I am an SB5120", so that whatever provisioning was used for that model would set up the 6120 for DOCSIS 2.0 service, without the need to develop/test any additional configuration files. Then, in the future, the proper file could be sent out to enable the DOCSIS 3.0 capabilities of the SB6120.

Obviously, I do not know the internal details of the SB6120, but it seems like Motorola could have programmed in a default condition such that this model would accept and respond to the 5120 configuration files that the ISP is already using.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I'm not sure I see the value in that.
Rather then expending time/money/energy on making the 6120 act like a 5120 (sort of like buying a truck with a big V-8 and then cutting 7 of the sparkplug wires)
when with less effort/time/money you could write a generic "I'm a 6120, but I only run in D2 mode"
or what's really needed, "I'm a 6120,running in D3 backward compatible mode, limited to XXX/xxx speeds"
But any given cable provider stiil needs to be sure that mode will work on their system before they go with a system wide release.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

I guess there are several options as to what Motorola could have done.