All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ramsfansam
join:2002-08-27
Springfield, MO

ramsfansam to whizkid3

to whizkid3

Re: Water Splinkers in the Server Room???

I take insult at being called "un knowledgeable" - which you misspelled, BTW. I am a "maintenance man" with an associates degree in computer programming, as well as many further hours of training in various areas.

Dry-type sprinklers are often not allowed by local codes. This is why NFPA 13 has a clause stating that the final decision is up to the AHJ. However, I believe in this case, NFPA 101, the Life Safety Code, takes precedence over a data center - as does the AHJ.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

said by ramsfansam:

I take insult at being called "un knowledgeable" - which you misspelled, BTW. I am a "maintenance man" with an associates degree in computer programming, as well as many further hours of training in various areas.
So, did they teach you how to install sprinkler systems while getting your degree or was that part of your "many further hours of training in various areas".

I'm willing to bet you've got no professional experience in installing sprinkler systems, and thus you are "unknowledgeable" with regards to said subject.

ramsfansam
join:2002-08-27
Springfield, MO

ramsfansam

said by james16 See Profile

I'm willing to bet you've got no professional experience in installing sprinkler systems, and thus you are "unknowledgeable" with regards to said subject.
[/BQUOTE :

Sure - I spend about 48-50 hours each year keeping updated on changes to the NFPA, and five years ago attended a 750 hour course on sprinkler installaton.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to ramsfansam

MVM

to ramsfansam
said by ramsfansam:

No one said you, or all maintenance men are unkowledgeable, so cool your pits. I said this maintenance man was unknowledgeable, (with regard to data center design). Local codes have precedence. The requirements and design of sprinkler systems is a very complex subject. It takes an engineer that specializes in fire protection, period. We have designed thousands of data centers and computer rooms - every last one with either pre-action sprinklers or gaseous or both. In no instance, has there ever been a situation where pre-action (dry) was not acceptable, so I disagree with your statement that 'dry-type sprinklers are often not allowed by local codes. It has to be done right, of course.

For a fire to get hot enough to actually set off a sprinkler head in a data center, no one will be concerned with water in the data center. The equipment in that area will already have been destroyed, with the fire threatening to destroy the entire data center and building. Even without sprinklers, the fire department is going to come in and dump tens of thousands of gallons of water into the room. Its too late.

The point of having pre-action, is to prevent leaks and accidental discharge of sprinkler heads (when there is no fire) from damaging the equipment and/or causing an outage.

james16

james16 to ramsfansam

to ramsfansam
Wait, I just noticed that you weren't the OP and no one was even talking about you. How about you go cause some drama somewhere else.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by james16:

said by ramsfansam:

So, did they teach you how to install sprinkler systems while getting your degree or was that part of your "many further hours of training in various areas".

said by james16:

Wait, I just noticed that you weren't the OP and no one was even talking about you. How about you go cause some drama somewhere else.
I'm willing to bet you've got no idea what you are talking about, and thus you are "unknowledgeable" with regards to what you post.

james16

james16

said by Snowy:

I'm willing to bet you've got no idea what you are talking about, and thus you are "unknowledgeable" with regards to what you post.
I'm willing to bet that your avatar is stupid looking, and thus you are "unknowledgeable" with regards to good avatars.