how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

phirephoto

join:2000-01-26
Fremont, CA

Can I REALLY get 6.0 mbps?

I'm currently with a different DSL provider who says my line maxes out at 1.5 MBPS. I've been looking all over, and almost tempted to switch to - let's just call them the 250 gigabyte Cable provider. But I'd rather have DSL. Someone reccomended Earthlink. I went to earthlink's site, and put in my address. It says I can get 6.0 Megs. I called earthlink, and spoke to more of a sales person. When I told him my current provider says my line is maxed out at 1.5, he says "If our website says you can get 6 megs, you can get 6 megs".

I'd be happy to PM a EL rep my address / telephone # for a more indepth prequal...

If I do switch, what's the process / what's the downtime? My current DSL Provider is DSL Extreme.

Thanks!

Evan

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
If the vendor who's telling you that your line maxes out at 1.5 is your telephone company [AT&T, I presume?], then it's doubtful you can get 6Mbps. Personally, I wouldn't trust Earthlink's sales department as far as I could throw the desk their scripts are taped to.

If you can post your port rates and some noise margins, someone here may have a better idea whether or not your current line can support 6Mbps.

If the noise figures aren't good enough, either there's something in your inside wiring that's degrading your signal, or the [outside] line is too long or not good enough quality to handle the higher speed. Inside problems can usually be fixed. Outside problems usually can't be, unless you find a telco willing to drop a lot of money to condition your line [not likely!] or you order a dry loop [(aka stand-alone or 'naked' DSL) which costs more, but it's a different pair of wires; it might be able to handle higher speeds].

phirephoto

Fremont, CA
Here's my line readings from DSL Extreme.. Thanks for any insight. The line from the MPOE to the house is a brand new line.

DN STREAM ERRORS During the last measurement period of 8 hours and 15 minutes the line ran error free in the downstream direction.
UP STREAM ERRORS During the last measurement period of 8 hours and 15 minutes the line ran error free in the upstream direction.
DN STREAM SPEED The line is running at the maximum bit rate of 1536 kbps.
UP STREAM SPEED The line is running at the maximum bit rate of 384 kbps.
DN STREAM S/N The line noise margin is 16.0dB, which is above the target noise margin of 6.0dB.
UP STREAM S/N The line noise margin is 16.0dB, which is above the target noise margin of 6.0dB.
DN STREAM POWER The line power is 17.0dBm, which is below the maximum of 20.0dBm.
UP STREAM POWER The line power is 5.0dBm, which is below the maximum of 13.0dBm.
DN STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is running at 56.0% of relative capacity on downstream transmission path.
UP STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is running at 50.0% of relative capacity on upstream transmission path.
--

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
West Hartford, CT

1 edit
reply to phirephoto
Your current line conditions tell me your line supports 1.5Mbps reliably but can't quite support 3.0Mbps, let alone 6.0.

If you can test the connection at the NID [aka the demarc, the grey telco box outside if you're in a house] and the stats are better, then you might be able to install a whole-house splitter and a dedicated wire [aka a 'home run'] to the jack where your modem plugs in.

phirephoto

Fremont, CA
Thanks for the info.. Not sure what a whole house splitter is, but the line from the MPOE to the DSL modem is a brand new dedicated line.

So why is earthlink thinking I can get 6.0 mbps?

Do they maybe use a different line or something (sorry not sure the correct terminology)

I'd like to switch this weekend but I'm hoping it's not to that 250 GB cable company

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
West Hartford, CT

1 edit
A home run is what you have, more or less. Do you have splitters in all your phone jacks, or is there a splitter at the MPOE?

Earthlink doesn't know what you can get until they connect [or try to connect] you. They'll sell you up to 6.0. It's a 'best effort' service. They're using the same line as DSLExtreme, as far as I know. I don't think they can access AT&Ts remote terminals.

The way I see it, you have two options if you want 6.0:
1. Standalone DSL [no guarantees here].
2. The cable company.

BTW switching DSL providers usually takes a week or more. I've seen it take several weeks.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to phirephoto
The deal is "up to" 6.0 Mbps (that could mean "best effort" 1.5 Mbps) and it is a sales tactic the outsourced Sales Group uses to get their commissions, nothing more. You only speak to them once, your line is not tested, your number/address is checked only in a database that shows simply yes/no for service (no line distance info, so there is no way to tell what your line will support) and if you order, they get the commission and have no one to answer to if you later complain since they don't work at Earthlink.

Look at your Modem Stats for the Downstream Attenuation value.. The lower this value is in dBs the better.

• For 3 Mbps DSL the Downstream Attenuation must be under 48 dB with 10 dB SNR or better.

• For 6 Mbps DSL the Downstream Attenuation must be under 38 dB with 10-12 dB SNR or better.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?