how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thien

join:2009-03-14

Extremely slow upload speed

Hi,

I am currently having a problem with Covad DSL. The upload speed is extremely slow. When I run a speed test on internetfrog.com or speedtest.net, it slows the download speed around 2 Mbps and the upload only around 70 kbps! I have called Covad and they suspected it was their DSL modem. I can't wait for a new to be shipped so I went and purchased an ActionTec ADSL modem. I configured it and tested the speed and it's still showing the same slow download/upload speed. However, on the Actiontec's status it shows the its connection speed is 6 Mbps/768kbps which is correct package speed but the real speed test shows otherwise. I called Covad back and told them what happened and they ran some tests but still could not pinpoint the problem.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thien

I have also isolated just the modem and one known working computer. I have used different Ethernet and Phone cables. None of which fixed the problem.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Since your Modem is syncing at the proper rates have you tried any tests like the Tweaks Test here and the Line Quality Test here?
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

thien

said by Doctor Olds:

Since your Modem is syncing at the proper rates have you tried any tests like the Tweaks Test here and the Line Quality Test here?
I have tried it with two different known working computers and this has been working fine for the past four years and suddenly yesterday, it started happening. So I don't think the Tweaks Test will help, but I will try to run the Line Quality Test. Thanks for the suggestions!

Here's also some info from the Modem:

DS speed: 6016 Kbps
US speed: 768 Kbps

DS/US Latency: Fast

Trellis Coding Enabled

Line Attenuation: 23.5 dB
Down Noise Margin: 21 dB
Up Noise Margin 9 dB
Line Up Count: 1

Loss of Signal/Loss of frame/down CRC error: o

down crc error: 1

thien

Results from Line Quality Test:

Simple ping loss check
10secs of 40byte packets 2 per second 0% loss 51.8ms 53.9ms 56.7ms
pass

low bandwidth stream
10secs of 56k/bit ping stream 512byte packets 22% loss 94.9ms 1042ms 3044ms
fail

medium bandwidth stream
10secs of 128k/bit ping stream 512byte packets 60% loss 3788ms 6159ms 8049ms
fail

your first hop ping
stream of 40byte pings to 207.88.183.158 0% loss 63.3ms Could not estimate first hop speed
pass

There are obviously a lot of loss packets here.:-(

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to thien

Your Port Rates are correct as seen by the sync rate in the Modem, but that is not the only thing that controls your speeds. If the Service Type doesn't match, you get throttled to the Service Type speed instead. Usually they are matched, but I have seen the rare occasion where they are out of sync. For example you are Syncing at 6.0, but are getting 3.0 Plan speeds instead. That would be the 3008/384 Service Type and would show up as 2500 Down and 340 Up on speed tests.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to thien

said by thien:

There is a link in bold on the result page that you use to post in your reply.

Here is my test result.

»/linequality/nil/2500196
--

thien

said by Doctor Olds:

said by thien:

There is a link in bold on the result page that you use to post in your reply.

Here is my test result.

»/linequality/nil/2500196
Sorry. Here's the link: »/linequality/nil/2500206

thien

reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

Your Port Rates are correct as seen by the sync rate in the Modem, but that is not the only thing that controls your speeds. If the Service Type doesn't match, you get throttled to the Service Type speed instead. Usually they are matched, but I have seen the rare occasion where they are out of sync. For example you are Syncing at 6.0, but are getting 3.0 Plan speeds instead. That would be the 3008/384 Service Type and would show up as 2500 Down and 340 Up on speed tests.
The Covad Tech did verify the service plan was 6 Mb/ 768 kbps.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Try the tests here:

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Where are the TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool Locations?

thien

Connected to: miranda.ctd.anl.gov -- Using IPv4 address
Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 69.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.63Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Other tests yield the same results.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

I'm out of thoughts then. It is not on your end, so that leaves congestion at the local DSLAM or mis-configuration on Covad's Network Gateway.

thien

said by Doctor Olds:

I'm out of thoughts then. It is not on your end, so that leaves congestion at the local DSLAM or mis-configuration on Covad's Network Gateway.
Thanks for the effort, man. I didn't believe it was something on our end. The Covad Tech said the circuit tests were passing so I'm not sure what's going on? Anyway, appreciate it.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by thien:

said by Doctor Olds:

Thanks for the effort, man. I didn't believe it was something on our end. The Covad Tech said the circuit tests were passing so I'm not sure what's going on? Anyway, appreciate it.
It's definitely on their end., but where exactly I can't tell. That is the hard part to determine. I have the same 6.0/768 Plan as you and my speeds are withing normal ranges.
--