spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sragle
join:2005-08-08
San Jose, CA

sragle

[Business] upgraded to 22/5 package but still using SMC8014

I was told I needed a D3 modem for 22/5 package, the tech came over and did some test and loaded a new profile on my modem so I now get 22/5 on the SMC8014. Is the SMC8014 D3? Or I was told wrong that you don't need D3 for 22/5?

Current speed test on my new plan. »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 9183.png

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Here was a thread concerning using a D2 modem with a D3 tier: » Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

Pulled from that topic: »Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem
tthnow
join:2006-06-07
Oakland, CA

tthnow

How much are you paying for business account?

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

Cjaiceman to sragle

MVM

to sragle
The 22/5 and 50/10 are D3 packages and you need a D3 modem. While 22/5 is possible on a D2 setup, its not the best way to do it. On a D3 setup you can use multiple channels to get the 22/5 which is easier on the local network for your area. You should have gotten a SMCD3G modem.
»www.smc.com/index.cfm?ev ··· pid=1678

You need to call up tech support and get them to give you one of those modems, or a SB6120 would also work if you don't have a static IP address, but you will need a pretty decent router. Hope this helps.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco to sragle

Premium Member

to sragle
Here are the Docsis 3.0 Modems:

Ambit: U10C035

Cisco: DPC3000 v2

Motorola: SB6120

sragle
San Jose, CA

sragle to Cjaiceman

to Cjaiceman
Thanks.

I will give them a call about this. I am using static IPs.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman

MVM

said by sragle:

Thanks.

I will give them a call about this. I am using static IPs.
If you are using static IP's then you must have a SMCD3G for your service and static IP's. Tell them that's the modem you need. Good luck
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Related, but unrelated, do we know if the SMCD3G is more agreeable(?) than the SMC8013/SMC8014 series?
sragle
San Jose, CA

sragle to Cjaiceman

to Cjaiceman
Just got off the phone with the Tech Support and the lady said D3 is not available yet for San Jose, and said the SMC8014 can do the 22/5 package just fine so no modem upgrade is needed until July when D3 is available. Which I thought D3 was already available since their web site says it is, and so does the sales rep tell me as well. oh well long as I am getting the speed I am paying for I can deal with my junky SMC8014.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Yeah, we are getting all kinds of variable info on business class docsys 3.0 rollouts in San Jose

I was told it rolled out in San Jose on Mar 10 by sales. My "starter" business class install was a couple days later (13th), and of course it synced up at 6/1, not the 12/2 upgraded speed. Called monday, they said oh yeah, you need the updated file... over to the actual folks who do it... on hold... "oh, that is rolling out tomorrow (3/17) and you'll be updated automatically." She was quite sure of it.

The update's not happened as of 5:30pm today, so I'm guessing its not going to happen today - unless they roll this stuff out at night? I'm on the 8014 (5 statics) here as well, although I've not had any issues with it at the slower speeds. Maybe I'll call in tomorrow to see if they have a different answer (I'm in 95129 area code)
Der_Idiot
join:2008-02-10
Norwood Young America, MN

Der_Idiot to sragle

to sragle
The problem with a smc gateway on the 22/5 package, is really it is only locking down on 1 downstream channel. This poses a risk, of two 22/5 connections using all the bandwidth on a node pair, which means everyone else calling in angry

So yeah, get that gateway replaced when you can, you wont see optimal speeds until you are locked down on 3 or 4 carriers. I thought all areas were starting to introduce the docsis 3 smc gateways?
sragle
San Jose, CA

sragle

Makes me wonder if I am the only person in my area that has cable internet. Most people are retired elderly people. All since I had the business internet installed I have been running a ping graph of 3 pings per sec to 3 different sites, and see no lag or packet loss ping times only change about +/-4ms makes me feel like I am all by myself on this net connection that no one else is out there using up the bandwidth to causes slow down for me.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Another thing to consider is that business accounts could be provisioned to a different downstream/upstream channel from the residential users. This doesn't change the fact that your current tier overloads those channels like was already stated but at the same time you aren't likely to affect the residential users either. If you've never noticed a slow down or latency increase then chances are you are the only (business) user in the area.
Windogg
join:2002-07-24
Redwood City, CA

Windogg to sragle

to sragle
Hi,
How did you ask about getting 22/5 on docsis 2.0? I have called sales three times since last October and the helpful but not so clued in salespeople could not help much.

Replies I've received include, "What's dot sits?" (sic) and "those speeds are impossible because the fastest package Comcast sells is 16 megabytes" (sic). I did not want to explain the difference between bit and bytes at that point. The third person told me "end of Q1" for 22/5 on D3 for Comcast Business here in Massachusetts.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to Der_Idiot

Premium Member

to Der_Idiot
said by Der_Idiot:

The problem with a smc gateway on the 22/5 package, is really it is only locking down on 1 downstream channel. This poses a risk, of two 22/5 connections using all the bandwidth on a node pair, which means everyone else calling in angry
How could CC even allow this to occur. Even temporarily...
EG

EG to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

Another thing to consider is that business accounts could be provisioned to a different downstream/upstream channel from the residential users.
Not certain here, but I think that as of now, the channel allotments on a given segment are non discriminate.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm sure it's not happening everywhere. Most cases you are either in an all business area (like my office) or all residential area and just opt for business class service. In either of those cases I can see where they would only have one set of frequencies. But in areas where they have a high concentration or business AND residential users it would be in everybody's best interest for them to separate them. In the OP's area chances are there is only one channel allotment but it's certainly possible for multiple.
sragle
San Jose, CA

1 edit

sragle

Someone re-profile me to 12/2 this morning when my contract is for 22/5.
sragle

sragle

Called my sales rep and have them put me back on my plan that the contract is for 22/5.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 recommendation

netcool to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

How could CC even allow this to occur. Even temporarily...
Denver has been "pre-selling" the 22/5 service to some business subs. I started noticing business ultra bootfiles popping up on the CMTS in a few areas. Hopefully the D3.0 CMTS go in fast before they sell too many more of them.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Thanks for this info netcool See Profile