how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djr777
Premium
join:2005-01-25
Pacific Grove, CA

Would you use AT&T at 3 Mbps or Comcast at 12 Mbps?

I know it sounds like a no-brainer but I want to see if there is a lot of disgruntled customers with either company.

I currently have AT&T but I'm moving to an area where they don't offer the Elite service(6 Mbps) only the Pro at 3 Mbps.
I would also loose my e-mail that I have had for 7-8 years. The price for Comcast is about $20.00 higher.

Which would you choose?
--
...there will be an answer. let it be

Mickeyme3
You might be right, but, I don't care
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Carson City, NV

If I was to do a lot of downloading Comcast.
Just a websurfer AT&T

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

reply to djr777

At&T.

I have the 3meg service with AT&T. I will recommend AT&T to any and all. My experience with the company has been completely positive in all regards.

I have never personally known anybody with comcast who was happy with the product/brand. It always comes down to the same complaint, way to expensive. It always starts out sounding good but when the bills start coming it is way more than expected.

Don't get me wrong, I have comcast ISP at my workplace and it does work fine (I work in a hotel), and never experienced any serious downtime or connection problems. Download speeds vary wildly from over 20meg down to 2-3meg down with no rhyme or reason to the differences that I can see. And of course I do not pay the bill for it but being a business account I am sure it costs a good coin.

But as I said I have never spoken to anyone personally with comcast at home who had anything good to say about it.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to djr777

I've never had Comcast, and I haven't like Bell since it was split up. but they have the best DSL on the planet or darned near it. I had it four years and was down 20 minutes once. And I didn't have anything near 3 Mbps either. You should not have to lose your email either.. Check that out with the techs.
--
Mac: No windows, No gates, Apple inside

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to BoulderHill1

Comcast. But if you don't want to spend the extra $20 for higher speeds, don't.

Download speeds vary wildly from over 20meg down to 2-3meg down with no rhyme or reason to the differences that I can see.
That's called 'powerboost'. It lets you download around 20/25Mbps for a few minutes before knocking down to your actual provisioned speed of 3/4Mbps.

But as I said I have never spoken to anyone personally with comcast at home who had anything good to say about it.
I had it for four years and had few problems. I may have lost connection once or twice (once was someone hitting a pole with a car, and the other was resolved in couple of hours)

As for the OPs email, I would go with a third party service like yahoo or gmail over a provider email address, for the very reason that if you move, you lose it.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

AT&T. Comcast here sucks.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to djr777

As the saying goes, "Time is money"
I prefer having the faster speed myself.
Not a ver patient person. Would rather get my files faster.

Here, in Hercules, CA - Comcast is the best bang for buck and is WAY faster than AT&T.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by dadkins:

As the saying goes, "Time is money"
I prefer having the faster speed myself.
Not a ver patient person. Would rather get my files faster.

Here, in Hercules, CA - Comcast is the best bang for buck and is WAY faster than AT&T.
Of course! You love Comcast & Sony...

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by Gbcue:

Of course! You love Comcast & Sony...
And you love AT&T. What's your point?

It comes down to a price for return thing. To be honest if you want the faster speed and are willing to pay for it, do that.

If you want to know how well Comcast works in your neighborhood, start knocking on doors and find out who has it. My experiences with Comcast in the SE Atlanta area were great. Meanwhile AT&T (previously Bellsouth) was not.

Unfortunately its somewhat hit or miss. The best thing to do? Find out if you can do a no-risk trial of the one you want.

snolsen

join:2004-01-10
Bedford, NH
reply to djr777

Do you have naked DSL now? What are your cost for DSL and POTS. I use Comcast with VOIP. Well worth it.

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to djr777

Why would you loss your e-mail? When I moved from Black Mountain, NC (Bellsouth) to southern Florida (Bellsouth) there were no issues and kept the same e-mail address. I must be missing something here.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to djr777

The real key is how much you download. If all you do on the Internet (as so many people only do) is browse the web, read email, and download an occasional Windows update or other piece of software, download a few small photo files, etc., the $20 a month for Comcast's higher speed may not be worth it. The Internet service may seem generally just as fast to you on AT&T a 3Mbps.

But if you're downloading movies from Netflix several times a week, buying lots of mp3 tracks every day, buying big software packages online and getting big software update files, moving massive files around from work, then Comcast's speed may seem worth an extra $20 bucks a month. It just doesn't help much with everyday browsing and email. A few seconds here, a few seconds there. Not a big deal to most people.

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Stumbles

said by Stumbles:

Why would you loss your e-mail? When I moved from Black Mountain, NC (Bellsouth) to southern Florida (Bellsouth) there were no issues and kept the same e-mail address. I must be missing something here.
If he moves from AT&T to Comcast, he loses his AT&T email.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to djr777

Here is my experience - I was one of the first in my area to get Cable from @Home which was bought out by ATTBI and then Comcast.

Started at 1.5meg and ended at 8meg in Aug 2008 when we moved to an area that only has Dialup [48kps], DSL[1.5meg] or Satellite.

In our new location, that is very rural we are members of a small Co-Op and to call outside of our prefix we are charged 3 cents per minute. So we would have to get Dialup from our Co-OP, though I have a backup Nationwide Dialup Account.

So here I am on DSL 1.5 megs at $50 per month.

Downloads take much longer and I miss Comcast's 8 megs w/ powerboost @ $50.

Plus I notice some complex web sites take longer to download from the various sites they are aggregated content from, like CNN, Fark.com, Onion and even this site, to name a few.

Plus I use the Morning Coffee Extension in FF, where with one click I am opening up 12 sites from around the World at the same time. Comcast would be almost instant, now I need to wait for complete download.

As to DSL reliability, as soon as-
* I ran a dedicated twisted pair to the DSL modem
* Eliminated bad telephone wiring in the house
* Gave my AP/Router a different IP range to use other than the default
[For some reason my DSL modem was acting as a DHCP server assigning IP's on the same range as the AP/router - which was kicking me off every couple of hours. I own the Co-Op supplied modem and have tried to reset it to default, but for some reason they have it 'locked' down?]
* Had some issues in a cold weather event between me and the CO that were fixed [got VM @ Co-Ops support - described the problem of having to reboot the modem every hour on the hour and it was fixed the following morning]

-DSL has been rock solid.

Comcast Cable on the other hand would "stutter" at times with downtime of a minute to 5 at least once or twice a day. And about once a week go down for 1/2 to 1 hour. And there were not that many people on the node.

And DSL performance issues in D/L are not being affected by the Machine and I have tweaked and have adjusted FF's performance settings.

One bad thing with my current DSL I have to have a POTS line, so that brings my monthly bill to $85.00. No dry! [Our main Phone numbers have been Cells for years so we use the land line very little]

I really have had no reason to call Cable for support/billing or other issues, as I seem to be able to fix and troubleshoot better than any tech. So that is not an issue.

I never use my ISP's e-mail or webspace.

What to choose?
If I were closer in town I would go with DSL. Depending where you live here, for the consumer, one part of town is served by Verizon and the other by Qwest. Currently each is offering 8-14meg at around 25 bucks [have seen some ads for 6megs @15 bucks that can be 'locked in w/o ETF's" and add a basic POTS line for $10 to $15. No dry DSL.

my .02 and experience
--
Darn, its gettin that time to go to Wallymart to gits me picture taken agin.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to djr777

I would say Comcast. You will also have Power Boost with them which really does help on small downloads and surfing. With powerboost, I pull 35000/3000.

I don't have anything against AT&T, but IMHO their speeds are just too slow for the price you pay.

I get 35000/3000 with powerboost and 12000/1000 without powerboost and pay $46.95. I can get faster powerboost (near 50 megs) and 20000/2000 without powerboost and pay $56.95. AT&T would charge $42.95 for 6000/512 in my area, which is the fastest their offer.

My cable connection rarely goes down... If it goes down it's always during their normal maintenance window (12-6 AM) and only a few minutes. This only happens once every few months and only for a few minutes.

Aozora

join:2008-11-28
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to djr777

I think it depends on your needs.

If your needs require fast speeds and money is not a big objective then go with Comcast. If you prefer to save money and do not need big speeds then go with AT&T.

The ping times are similar although AT&T tends to be better on average if you consider latency of a big importance.

The connection works properly for both if done correctly. I have had both and both have been crap until I called a guy up and told him to come fix my issue(I specified the issue for them). Also AT&T has a very good support forum here with competent techs if that matters to you.

KLH

join:2001-09-24
Vincennes, IN
reply to djr777

I've never had comcast, so I don't know anything about it, but have had AT&T.

With AT&T (at least when I had it a year ago) you got:

Free Wi-Fi access at thousands of locations (like airports)
Free backup dialup account (came in handy when traveling)
And a very reliable connection.

I have since switched to a local fiber optic company, but sometimes still miss the free dialup connection, and free wi-fi, but it isn't worth the slower speeds for me.
--
»www.pleaseusemysearch.com

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA
reply to djr777

You will also have to buy a modem or rent one of theirs if you go to comcast. With ATT, there is an option at signup time to bring your own modem. And you have to worry about having a comcast employee or contractor in your house

MineCoast
Premium
reply to KLH

said by KLH:

I've never had comcast, so I don't know anything about it, but have had AT&T.

With AT&T (at least when I had it a year ago) you got:

Free Wi-Fi access at thousands of locations (like airports)
Free backup dialup account (came in handy when traveling)
And a very reliable connection.

I have since switched to a local fiber optic company, but sometimes still miss the free dialup connection, and free wi-fi, but it isn't worth the slower speeds for me.
I have a free dial-up account provided with my cable connection. The Wi-Fi is only good if you live in a populated area and/or travel a lot. I can almost assure you that AT&T has very very few Wi-Fi Hotspots near me. The nearest Star Bucks is over 15 miles from me.

MineCoast
Premium
reply to ninjatutle

said by ninjatutle:

You will also have to buy a modem or rent one of theirs if you go to comcast. With ATT, there is an option at signup time to bring your own modem. And you have to worry about having a comcast employee or contractor in your house
Odd. I brought my own modem with cable. I also picked up a free one from the local office as well to use as a back-up. Never had a single tech in my home.

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

2 edits

Click for full size
said by MineCoast:

said by ninjatutle:

Odd. I brought my own modem with cable. I also picked up a free one from the local office as well to use as a back-up. Never had a single tech in my home.
I don't think his DSL modem will work with cable.

Plus there is the high install fee....The install fee is $100. You have to choose the $100 option or $150 option. You can't continue with the order if you don't select one..

hortnut
Huh?

PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to MineCoast

said by MineCoast:

said by ninjatutle:

x1

Plus I went through an Authorized Reseller several times in the last five years and usually get it at 19.99/mo for 6 mos, usually a rebate from $75 to $100 and a free modem and/or router. And do a Self-Install [usually had to call comcast to give mac address for provisioning].

I do check out the Reseller- do they list a valid address, call any 800 number listed and so on.
--
Darn, its gettin that time to go to Wallymart to gits me picture taken agin.

hortnut
Huh?

PNW

1 recommendation

reply to ninjatutle

Not to be contrary, but I have never paid for an Install or even a modem.

djr777
Premium
join:2005-01-25
Pacific Grove, CA

1 edit
reply to djr777

Thanks for all of your comments.

I get a little frustrated with the service dept. at AT&T. That has been my experience. But the service overall has been good for 8 years. Trying to get a hold of a live operator is a hassle. I lost service 4 times. Twice the modem went out. Twice I had a bad line in the house.

I've read that Comcast speeds fluctuate wildly and that they can throttle your speed for the hell of it.

I imagine security with both companies is about the same.

Thanks again.
--
...there will be an answer. let it be

Safemaster
Premium
join:2004-01-18
Loxahatchee, FL
reply to djr777

I've had Comcast for 3 years and yes the speed is faster but it only worked 50% of the time. with Comcast it was a constant problem and when you call them, all they do is lie.

I switched to AT&T about 2 month ago and so far reliability is good and cost for slower speed.

DSL 6 mps tops and reliability
Comcast double dsl speed with only 50% uptime working

Choose your poison wisely.
--