3 recommendations

DogFace056

[Proggy] Update! Google Voice dialer

gvdial.zip
18,692 bytes
gvdial-0-80-0.zip
21,785 bytes
Updated version !
Update on 11-September-2011. Since this thread is old, DogFace05 asked me to update this post as follows:
"Seems Google made some changes recently that broke the last version of gvdial (0.72.0). Here's a new incarnation that should work until the next time they fiddle with it. This release also adds support for sending SMS text messages."
~dbmaven~

Here's a Google Voice adaptation of my original Grandcentral command line dialer. Note that this version only works with GV. The command line parameter syntax is identical to the Grandcentral dialer's, so refer to the Grandcentral dialer thread for usage suggestions. Note that Google Voice use an email address as username, as opposed to Grandcentral's simple username.

To anyone downloading this program, please note and respect that I am its copyright owner. I am giving exclusive permission to, and only to DSLReports.com to host it. It may not be further distributed, nor posted to any other site, P2P network, or any other form of distribution facility, without my prior explicit consent. Note that I am making it available only in the hope that it may be useful. However, I do not guarantee nor claim that it will work to anyone's satisfaction or even at all, let alone be useful or convenient for anyone or anyone's use, misuse, or even failure to use. It comes with no warranties or guarantees of any kind, shape or form. Use at own risk.

XEON
@rr.com

XEON

Anon

Re: [Proggy] Google Voice dialer

I got:
Error: Failed to properly login.

DogFace056
join:2005-12-09
Cary, NC

DogFace056

Are there any special characters in your email address or password?
hillsdalebob
join:2006-05-15
Hillsdale, MI

hillsdalebob to DogFace056

to DogFace056
Very nice!! Works great for me. Thanks
slow mo
join:2002-03-19
USA

slow mo to DogFace056

to DogFace056
Anyway options to save the login name, pw and GV number? It would be nice to just type in the destno.
ilhy
join:2005-11-07
Detroit, MI

ilhy

Or only ANI adn destno.?

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056

This program is just a no-frills quick and dirty thing I put together to make it easier for me to make calls with GC, and now GV, without having to go through the trouble of browsing to and logging in to the web site. At some point, perhaps I'll make the effort to further develop it into something more user friendly and feature filled. For now, however, I have my plate full with other projects.

For the time being, and as discussed in the Grandcentral dialer thread, you can create a batch (.bat) file, and or Windows shortcut with your parameters preset. There are suggestions and examples in that thread.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

1 edit

mazilo to XEON

Premium Member

to XEON
said by XEON :

Don't you need to first do a web login to use this dialer?

XEON
@rr.com

XEON to DogFace056

Anon

to DogFace056
NVM, I used my GC account....
works perfect after I entered my GV username(email address).
thanks!

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056 to mazilo

to mazilo
No. The dialer does its own login. However, being a quick and dirty implementation, it currently does not in any way process the username and password to make them web correct. In other words, if either contain any HTTP/HTML reserved characters, such as <, >, +, /, \, :, ;, =, quotes, etc, they will be passed along to the server unescaped and certainly confuse it. Eventually, I'll get around to fixing this, but for the time being, one can specify the parameters with such characters pre-escaped. For example, if your password happens to be something like "1234=5678", you'd specify it in a DOS prompt command line as "1234^%3D5678". Note that % is a reserved character in the DOS CLI, and thus may need to be escaped itself (depending on what follows it) by preceding it with a caret ('^').

XEON
@rr.com

XEON

Anon

last night, I tried it when I was logged in my GC account using FIREFOX.
I get what you explained, maybe its a FF and IE problem since I have no special symbol in my psw?

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056

My last post was specifically a reply to Mazilo's post, but also meant to help anyone who might happen to have problems caused by special characters in their username/password.

In your case, however, you've established that it was caused by your trying to use it with Grandcentral. As stated in my OP, this version is only for Google Voice; it is not compatible with Grandcentral. For a Grandcentral version, you need to follow the link (also posted in the OP) to the older Grandcentral version. However, if you've already upgraded to GV, the GC version won't do you much good, unless you have another current GC account to use it with.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to DogFace056

Premium Member

to DogFace056
DF05, many thanks for your clarifications and I appreciated that.
phrider
join:1999-12-17
Pasadena, CA

phrider to DogFace056

to DogFace056
Thank you for this.

Now, how about a Blackberry app that does the same thing, linked to the Blackberry address book?

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056

Don't have a Blackberry, so it'll have to be a project for someone else.
iforst
join:2001-05-14
New York, NY

iforst to DogFace056

to DogFace056
Hey there. Pretty neat utility. Any chance you'd be willing to share your source code or some samples? I'm trying to develop an Outlook Extension which would let me dial directly from my addressbook.

thanks!
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ

This would be awesome if you could make it into an IVR service reachable from a sip uri...something like user@gvcallback.com where you can then enter a account code or pin code and the number you want to call. It would hang up and a few seconds later you'd get an incoming call from Google voice. I'd imagine some people would pay for that convenience.

Jose
@rr.com

Jose to DogFace056

Anon

to DogFace056
..zip
148 bytes
Can u send sms through this application?

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056 to iforst

to iforst
said by iforst:

Hey there. Pretty neat utility. Any chance you'd be willing to share your source code or some samples? I'm trying to develop an Outlook Extension which would let me dial directly from my addressbook.

thanks!
Thanks for the kind words. I do have some bigger and better plans for it, but to be able to justify any further development, I have to be able to make a living from my work. Being an independent developer, I depend entirely for my livelihood on what little income I can derive from the solutions I develop. Unfortunately, it's not possible to make ends meet giving away one's work. As I've had to learn the hard way, having been burnt severely by a number of career plagiarists over the past few years, sharing one's work has time and again proved to be a guaranteed recipe for financial disaster and serious health consequences. Sorry, but so long as I still have plans to further develop my dialer, it's source will remain for my eyes only.
DogFace056

DogFace056 to OmagicQ

to OmagicQ
said by OmagicQ:

This would be awesome if you could make it into an IVR service reachable from a sip uri...something like user@gvcallback.com where you can then enter a account code or pin code and the number you want to call. It would hang up and a few seconds later you'd get an incoming call from Google voice. I'd imagine some people would pay for that convenience.
I started work on a project along those lines (except better) last fall, back when it was still for Grandcentral. However, it's ended up on hold, while I've had to focus on other higher priority projects.
DogFace056

DogFace056 to Jose

to Jose
said by Jose :

Can u send sms through this application?
No, this is just a simple, dumb, no frills dialer. It does not do anything other than allow one to make outgoing calls dialed through the app, instead of having to log in and navigate through the GV web interface.

kermitshen
@comcast.net

kermitshen to DogFace056

Anon

to DogFace056
hi,DogFace05:
My account name include a ".", I try to use:
et /P destno="Enter number to dial: "  

gvdial.exe aaabb^%2Ewen 12123 %destno% 6504567899

But I always get:
GVDial 0.60.00 (alpha)
Copyright (c) 2009, DogFace05 / Custom ATA.
All rights reserved.

When I use "." directly about account name such as "aaabb.wen" Got the same result!

BUT I can use those account name and password login in my account in web. What' wrong

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056

Last I checked, GV used fully qualified email addresses as user ids. In other words, if your email address is something like "aaabb.wen@postal.com", you have to specify the whole shebang, not just the part that precedes the @. Thus, you'll run gvdial as:

gvdial.exe aaabb.wen@postal.com 12124 %destno% 6504567899

If you don't specify the full email address, then GV have no way of knowing who the hell you are.

BTW, the period should not need to be escaped.
kermitshen
join:2009-07-12
Santa Clara, CA

1 edit

kermitshen

Thanks for the reply,
Those is got from the cmd prompt:
I don't know what's wrong?

D:\kermit\router>gvdial.exe xxxx.xxx@gmail.com 1plus122 408xxxxx 6504567899

GVDial 0.60.00 (alpha)
Copyright (c) 2009, DogFace05 / Custom ATA.
All rights reserved.

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056

It's clearly failing the login. All I can suggest is that you double check your password and keep in mind that it is case sensitive. Also make sure that you're specifying the password for your GV account, and not necessarily that of your gmail account (unless they are the same). And keep in mind that this app is for GV, not Grandcentral. If you're trying to use it with Grandcentral, it won't work.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to DogFace056

Premium Member

to DogFace056
said by DogFace056:

If you don't specify the full email address, then GV have no way of knowing who the hell you are.
Perhaps, what you said above is ONLY true with your GV dialer program. I have a GV account with a username (not a complete e-mail address as the username) without the @e-mail.address.any and have no problem to use a Google Voice Add-on for Firefox to place a web click2call. Last night, I created a new GV account, from a GV invitation sent to me a couple of days ago, using a plain username (again, without an @e-mail.address.any) and placing an outbound call using the Google Voice Add-on for Firefox without a problem at all.
hillsdalebob
join:2006-05-15
Hillsdale, MI

hillsdalebob

Dogface05, thanks much for the GV Dialer program. It works exactly as it is supposed to when one just follows your directions.
kermitshen
join:2009-07-12
Santa Clara, CA

kermitshen to mazilo

to mazilo
That's wired!
I use google voice add-on for firefox, it works great!
I think there is other thing I need tell Dogface05 is that my os is based on chinese, maybe the unicode problem!

Thanks anyway!

DogFace056
Cary, NC

DogFace056 to mazilo

to mazilo
Looks like my bad. When I first transferred over from GC to GV, GV would require the fully qualified email address. Just tried without, both logging in to the web site, and also with the dialler, and it worked without the @gmail.com part. Don't know if this is only good for gmail.com accounts, or with any email address. Both my GV accounts are tied to gmail email addresses, so I can't test the latter. Perhaps someone else could try and report their findings.
DogFace056

DogFace056 to kermitshen

to kermitshen
said by kermitshen:

That's wired!
I use google voice add-on for firefox, it works great!
I think there is other thing I need tell Dogface05 is that my os is based on chinese, maybe the unicode problem!

Thanks anyway!
Good thinking! That's probably it. My program is just a dumb ASCII app. It most certainly won't handle any user names containing characters that are not part of ASCII.