spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

bw_unlimited

join:2009-03-19
Quebec, QC
reply to light_speed

Re: Primus Traffic Shaping :: For Better or for Worse !!!

i was going over some interviews on Bell position about throttling. for 7% user's heavy duty behavior rest r getting penalized....

id like to see what happens end of this year when CRTC's new spectrum earners go live and may be they might give better cell based BW that we will move to that than landline...

light_speed :: @ primus DSL you can get 300GB and no restriction ?

otty

join:2008-10-24
Revelstoke, BC

said by bw_unlimited:

i was going over some interviews on Bell position about throttling. for 7% user's heavy duty behavior rest r getting penalized....
Don't drink the Bell koolaid! This is what they say, but have never provided evidence for. There are much more likely explainations...do some research!!

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by otty:

said by bw_unlimited:

Don't drink the Bell koolaid! This is what they say, but have never provided evidence for. There are much more likely explainations...do some research!!
And the major part of it, some of the CRTC reports seem to suggest if they had any congestion it was because of the few legacy ATM links they still have. So we're giving them millions and they're spending it on marketing or their wireless network!

freejazz_RdJ

join:2009-03-10
kudos:1

2 edits

Actually the vast majority of their customers are on ATM links. Anyone on old equipment which uses these chipsets: Alcatel (Alcatel), Broadcom (Alcatel), connexant (Stinger FS+, 1st Gen remotes), TI (Anymedia) or Globespan (Anymedia) is 100% ATM on the initial uplink. As anyone with the "upstream" sync problem can tell you, Stingers use Ikanos.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

I meant backbone, not last mile.

Maynard G Krebs

@teksavvy.com
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

So we're giving them millions and they're spending it on marketing or their wireless network!
Check out the $2.80 monthly 'Touch tone service charge" on your monthly Bell bill.

Originally allowed to help subsidize the cost of converting from rotary to touch-tone networks, today it's used to subsidize the one or two Strowger switches Bell probably keeps alive just so they can collect $10+ million/month in fees because their network still has a few party lines.

This fee ought to be quashed by the CRTC and Bell forced to repay many years worth to each subscriber.

Queue Dire Straits with the lyric "Get your money for nothing".

otty

join:2008-10-24
Revelstoke, BC

My family held out on the touchtone changeover until 3-4 years ago. We were still using those old Bell rotary phones that were the only ones you could get back in the day. Those old black phones weigh a ton and will probably outlive all of us. I remember some of my friends when I was a kid didn't even know how to dial a rotary phone....off topic sorry, just reminiscing.