uniqs
psale
Peter
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Santa Monica, CA

psale

Premium Member

DIR-655 label says Hardware Ver A3, while Admin says A4?!

Click for full size
The printed label on the bottom of my Dir-655 says the hardware version is A3, firmware ver is 1.21. When I logon to the ADMIN panel it displays the Hardware Version:A4 and Firmware Version: 1.21. Which is correct?

I wanted hardware version A4 to enjoy cooler running device with a slightly better (longer range) radio. What did I "really get?"

tipstir
join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

tipstir

Go with what the Admin say, but what does the device say on it? You could alway open it up and see if you have this inside?

A4 PCB

A3 PCB

I don't know about your cooler unit as the A3 has heatsinks you just have tin on A4

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5
join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ

4 edits

Scree to psale

to psale
Well unless the dlink assembly line workers made a blatant mistake with the labeling, I would go by the label and not the admin. Because in the past, there was the whole admin firmware version mess with whatever version saying the A2 was A1/A2 or something like that. LOL So I would chalk it up to that 1.21 firmware version not properly distinguishing the A3. Otherwise do confirm if brave enough to open up the router (and do so anyway if going to return/exchange just to solve the mystery for us).

P.S. -- Since yours has the 2008/10/09 version, try the latest official release of 1.21 (2008/11/13 as installed) from the dlink DIR-655 support site. Maybe that fixes the model detection.

tipstir
join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL

tipstir to psale

to psale
It would be better to remove the two rear rubber feet under the case which would expose the screws to unscrew case. Then using a plastic knife pry up the cover on the sides without scratching the case. Thus doing that you'll see what your really got inside. Playing guess what you got going to be harder to do. Make sure you don't have any power connected.