tomkb
Premium
join:2000-11-15
Tampa, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

differences in policy maps and qos from router to switch

We have recently upgraded our bandwidth from T1 to an ethernet offering. Because of this, I would like to retire our router in favor of our 4500 series switch which has the enterprise routing image.

We do run voice-over-ip via SIP and have the router configured for QOS. A few issues I have noticed that I am hoping someone can help with.

On the router, we have a class map setup. The switch has accepted all of our class map commands except

match ip rtp 10000 10000

Additionally, our policy map on the router looks like this.

policy-map voice-policy
class voice-policy
priority percent 33
class class-default
fair-queue

However, the switch will not accept priority percent.

Any help appreciated.

belushi
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-08
Twinsburg, OH
Yeah, you are pretty much not going to like this answer. Queuing outbound a switch does not act the same way as it does on a router for the most part.

Go here and check out what your options are:

»www.cisco.com/web/psa/products/index.html

Pick out your specific version of code and switch type including your supervisor.

The issue is essentially that switches are not built to support the same characteristics as routers. Even though your switch may support full enterprise routing does not mean it can do everything a router can. This issue is a limitation of hardware. Generally though on a switch you can't support outbound queueing using service polices. You can however support inbound queueing. Not that it helps you here.

tomkb
Premium
join:2000-11-15
Tampa, FL
kudos:5
ok, thanks, I'll check it out.