mrham
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Seneca, MO
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

1 edit

[IE] IE8 and Adobe Flash Question

I have IE8 on a XP Pro machine and its working fine so far, with one exception.

Since the install of IE8, some sites are requiring I d/l and install the latest version of Adobe flash player.

Well, I go to their site, and d/l it and it installs, but, the site wanting this new version keeps saying I need to install it.

And, yes, I restarted the computer after I installed it.

Anyone have this problem?

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18

Have you tried uninstalling Flash using Add/Remove programs and then reinstalling Flash?

Can you give an example of a site where the problem exists?

mrham
Premium
Seneca, MO
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

I have uninstalled Flash player 10 plugin, as that is all that shows up on my computer, and is downloaded.

As an example, I go to »www.BestBuy.com and when it comes up, I click on the "weeklyad". A window opens where the weekly ad would be, but, it tells me that Adobe Flash Player 9 is required to see the ads.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to mrham

I had the same problem with Flash 10 on one of our XP boxes, kept saying it was installed, then wouldn't load flash content. Uninstalling Flash 9 in add/remove programs and reinstalling flash 10 fixed it. I also ran CCleaner to fix the registry entries.
--
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke. "Walk the Talk".

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON
reply to mrham

Also, can you check here?:

IE > Tools > Manage Add-ons > Toolbars and Extensions >

Then make sure "Shockwave Flash Object" is "Enabled"

mrham
Premium
Seneca, MO
reply to mrham

Auggy, I did as you asked, and it shows that it is enabled, and it is version 9.0.45.0
Seems odd since I've d/l'd a version 10.x

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

2 edits

Try running the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller from the following link:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

Close all applications beforehand and restart the computer afterwards.

Then reinstall Flash from the following link (un-check the "Google Toolbar" offer) and restart the computer:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Then go to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder and confirm that the flash10b.ocx exists in that folder.

Then confirm that the Shockwave Flash Object in IE Manage Add-ons is at version 10.0.22.87

mrham
Premium
Seneca, MO
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

Well, I did as you instructed, and all went well, until the last part. I went and looked in the manage add on's, and this is the version it says is "there":

Name: Shockwave Flash Object
Publisher: Adobe Systems Incorporated
Type: ActiveX Control
Version: 9.0.45.0
File date:
Date last accessed: Today, March 25, 2009, 3 minutes ago
Class ID: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
Use count: 295097
Block count: 0
File: Flash10b.ocx
Folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

Notice the version is 9.0.45.0 and it says that is the version in that flash10b.ocx folder.

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

What version shows up in the following link?:

»kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon···liceId=2

Also, does "Debug Player" say "No" (it should).

mrham
Premium
Seneca, MO

Upon clicking on the link, it says I have version: 10.0.22.87

And the Debug Player says NO

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

Can you do the following?:

Start > Search > All files and folders > expand "More advanced options > then make sure "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders" are selected.

Then enter .ocx under "All or part of the file name" > Search.

What .ocx file(s) come up that start with Flash and what are the location(s)?

mrham
Premium
Seneca, MO
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

Doing what you asked gave the following results:

Flash.ocx @ C:\WINDOWS\system32

flash.ocx @ C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

Flash 10b.ocx @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromedia\Flash

Notice in the 3rd file that came up, the space between the word Flash & the 10b

mrham
Premium
Seneca, MO

As a side note, I tried the BestBuy site last night to see if I could see the weekly ad, and it worked.
I tried it again this morning, and it still worked.

warmac

@netins.net
reply to mrham

If you are using Vista and you are having flash problems try coping the Macromed folder from the sysWOW64 to the System32 folder. This cured my problems.

mrham
Premium
Seneca, MO

Thanks for replying warmac. However I am using Xp Pro, and I beleive the problem is fixed now.

Oblivian32

join:2009-05-08
Lanoka Harbor, NJ

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to mrham

(This is a possible solution for most users) I have found that inside the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash (WinXP Home/Pro) (Computer > C: Drive > Windows > System32 > Macromed > Flash for Vista) there should be a file named FlashUtil10b.exe (IF NOT YOU SHOULD UPDATE AS SPECIFIED!) (or FlashUtil10a.exe or for older versions something similar depending on your version), which is the update utility for flash player. Click on this and if it updates, you will have to restart your computer. This should fix any missing files, and update you to the latest version.

On a side note to all those who read this, I downloaded and installed 5 different times, the same version, from different websites, all for the "new" flash version, and they didn't work (this also included trying to update Shockwave player itself). Apparently, going directly to the website and downloading a new version of Adobe Flash Player, and installing, doesn't uninstall the older version, (though it says it does) nor fixes the problem. I assume they are aware of this problem, because they included this bug fix in revision 10b. This fix should work for those of you whom cannot view/see flash images as well. There also appears to be a bug/reference problem with the installation of IE8 giving the error "Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA", when trying to play a Shockwave/Flash file, which seems also to affect Firefox and other browsers. It doesn't recognize that the folder or files that it needs in it, exist. I never had his problem before, until IE8 was installed. I checked which version I had in the system32 folder and found this updater built in to Adobe. Version 10a does NOT automatically update, but version 10b includes this fix. I currently had version 10a when I received this error, and began digging for a solution. Doing the update as described above fixed the problem, and updated it to version 10b.

The new flash version 10b has some new features, such as volume control, auto-updating, and several rendering options for those who may have a faster or slower computer/video card. This view only works for the flash files built recently with the new adobe flash making software. Most flash you see online now was made to be viewed with 9 or lower, and does not have these options available.

I found this works great for XP users but unsure of the Vista users. The process is the same for Vista and the update should still work the same, as long as you run it as Administrator, I assume. It appears to work for everyone so far. I have not heard of any problems from users with this problem running the RC (Release Canidate) for Windows 7 yet.

I hope this works to your benefit.

I created another Topic post on this for those who want to elaborate more or have stories of their own that this fix has worked or not. If not, please describe and I will try to help as much as I can. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22361930-Adobe-Flash-Player-10-Fix-for-WinXP-IE8-Firefox-ect

(I would like to recommend those not using IE8, or Firefox 3.5, get the updated versions) Below, are some links that should help you with Adobe Flash Player, that I have found for you.

If your looking for uninstallers go to this site:http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

If your looking for a TRUE FULL INSTALL, you can download this developer version for Windows and Mac: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flash_player_update2_flash10.zip (44MB) (If you download this, I would recommend you still follow my instructions for the Flash Utility before restarting your computer.)

If you find this helpful, please give some kudos. Thanks!

--
What man is a man, who doesn't try to make the world a better place?

jt97

@tm.net.my
reply to mrham

I hv given up on installing flash on my IE8. I am now using Firefox and it has no problem whatsoever with sites using flash

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to mrham

And I thought I was the only one having a problem with IE8 and Flash.
See my problem at '»MSN.com missing ad?'

HeadHodge

@76.197.11.x
reply to Oblivian32

This fixed my Shockwave problem with IE8 and saved me hours of troubleshooting.

THANKS!!!!!

Bob

Oblivian32

join:2009-05-08
Lanoka Harbor, NJ

1 edit

Your welcome. I've read all kinds of links all across the web, and I seem to be the only one so far who has discovered or posted a quick fix on the issue. I am glad it worked for you.
--
What man is a man, who doesn't try to make the world a better place?

yeahyeah

@comcast.net
reply to mrham

I can use flash on opera but not on IE. My os is Windows XP(definitely), 2002(i thimk) Service Pack 2.

Molli

@tpgi.com.au
reply to Oblivian32

Thank you to everyone who posted here - this was driving me absolutely nuts!