Click for full size
Is unlike another

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1
I'm not a cable man by any means... So I could be off base...

But most of the Alpha boxes like that I see here are for batteries and power supplies. I may have seen one that was used as a fiber to coax node, but even then I'm not sure.

Someone wanna fill me in? I'm sure the Alpha boxes are just empty boxes that can have many uses. I just always see them used as power supplies more than nodes. Most nodes I see are similar looking to amplifiers.
--
Justin - DSLR resident grouch and Mr Negativity
TSI Fanboy - "Dontchya wish your 'net was hot like mine! Ohhh Dontchya!"
Have a nice day!

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL
Kewlkeed is right, Usually they are just power supplies and battery backups.

perki

join:2008-12-01
Santa Maria, CA
reply to perki
My Bad I had heard that they were kept in large metallic boxes so i just assumed it was.

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1
reply to perki
It does happen on occasion. But rarely. Most of the time the big metal boxes house batteries and power injector equipment. At least they're not doing the "garbage bag" technique that I've sometimes seen cable companies do in a panic.

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL
Around here, they are usually in one of the low profile boxes like this: »www.charlesindustries.com/main/c ··· atv.html

If they are underground that is.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to kewlkeed
said by kewlkeed:

Someone wanna fill me in? I'm sure the Alpha boxes are just empty boxes that can have many uses. I just always see them used as power supplies more than nodes. Most nodes I see are similar looking to amplifiers.
Alpha mostly makes UPS's and power converters... It is possible that there's other gear mounted inside the cabinet as well, but not terribly likely (given the style of cabinet that is.)

»www.alpha.com/Products/Cable-Bro ··· t-Power/

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to kewlkeed
said by kewlkeed:

It does happen on occasion. But rarely. Most of the time the big metal boxes house batteries and power injector equipment. At least they're not doing the "garbage bag" technique that I've sometimes seen cable companies do in a panic.

*cough* Qwest *cough*
--
"No job is so important, and no service is so urgent that we cannot take the time to perform our work safely."
-- AT&T, Your World, Destroyed.
--Safety One Tower Rescue Certified
--LLigetfa:"Wimax is like teenage sex. Everyone talks about doing it."

perki

join:2008-12-01
Santa Maria, CA
reply to perki
Strange thing is a few days after taking a picture of this thing some kids vandalized it. lol

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
reply to perki
said by perki:

Is unlike another
For what it is worth there is a good possibility that is a node, I attended a “utility suppliers” convention a month or so back and Alpha had a cabinet on display that looked like the one in the photograph. The lower part of the cabinet housed the rectifier/power supply and batteries while the upper cabinet had a rack built in for mounting the fiber to the x equipment within.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
reply to perki
Click for full size
said by perki:

Strange thing is a few days after taking a picture of this thing some kids vandalized it. lol
Like this?

The cabinet door has been pried off and the batteries stolen and maybe $600 or so of damage to Comcast’s power supply, which by the way the thieves will receive a royal payment from the scrap yard of two dollars per battery for a total take of $10 or so.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.