Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to dcurrey

Re: Nothing is sacred...

said by dcurrey:

I am in range of 3 wireless networks. 2 of them are close enough to connect to. Even logged into routers. Guess I should change the default password for them at least.
I would not do that, if I were you.

Because connecting to another network that you do not own is illegal.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by dcurrey:

I am in range of 3 wireless networks. 2 of them are close enough to connect to. Even logged into routers. Guess I should change the default password for them at least.

That's not entirely accurate.

First of all, there's no federal law as of yet of such and such cases are being handled on either a state by state or municipality by municipality case basis.

Secondly, connecting to another network you do not known is not illegal. "Maliciously" connecting to another network you do not own is illegal.

Additionally, Simply the wording alone of what you stated is too broad and makes the entire premise of the internet illegal, after all, aren't you merely "connecting to another network that you do not own"?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by PapaMidnight:

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by dcurrey:

First of all, there's no federal law as of yet of such and such cases are being handled on either a state by state or municipality by municipality case basis.

Secondly, connecting to another network you do not known is not illegal. "Maliciously" connecting to another network you do not own is illegal.

Additionally, Simply the wording alone of what you stated is too broad and makes the entire premise of the internet illegal, after all, aren't you merely "connecting to another network that you do not own"?
another thing to add to yours is that if it where 100% illegal to connect to wifi that isnt yours then 1000s of windows users would be guilty without pushing a button. i have seen winXP laptops that see default SSID'd WLANs with no security and just autoconnect with no user input.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

1 recommendation

reply to PapaMidnight
said by PapaMidnight:

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by dcurrey:

Lets start our own lawyer firm .

But in all reality, connecting to a network that you do not have authorization for is most likely illegal as its not *your* network. If you leave the door open to your house, does that give the right to walk in and out as I please?
As far as using network resources, that is illegal - revisiting the concept of the open door. Is it legal for me to walk in your house and turn on your faucet to fill my glass with water that you pay for? Even if you have access to a system, resource, or wireless router does NOT mean you have authorization to use said items. Accessing a system, resource, or wireless router without authorization IS illegal.

james1

join:2001-02-26
said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

If you leave the door open to your house, does that give the right to walk in and out as I please?
No, but if you lived around here someone would close the door for you if it seemed the right thing to do. I've closed my neighbors backyard gate and back door many times when the dog has opened it (smart dog). Yeah, it's trespassing, but intent has more to do with criminal charges than you seem to realise.

damonlab
Premium
join:2001-05-02
Detroit, MI
reply to k1ll3rdr4g0n
said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

If you leave the door open to your house, does that give the right to walk in and out as I please?
said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

Is it legal for me to walk in your house and turn on your faucet to fill my glass with water that you pay for?
The discussion is about computers and wireless networks. Discussion of houses, doors, faucets, and glasses of water is an entirely different topic that is not applicable to computers and wireless networks.

DJMASACRE

join:2008-05-27
Nepean, ON
reply to aefstoggaflm
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by dcurrey:

where do you people get this shit

its not illegal, you are not breaking in .

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to PapaMidnight
said by PapaMidnight:

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by dcurrey:

Ok, I will correct my self...

Because connecting to another network that you do not own and you do not have permission to connect to, is illegal.

^^

Does that make you happy?
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

1 edit
reply to damonlab
said by damonlab:

said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

Is it legal for me to walk in your house and turn on your faucet to fill my glass with water that you pay for?
The discussion is about computers and wireless networks. Discussion of houses, doors, faucets, and glasses of water is an entirely different topic that is not applicable to computers and wireless networks.
Isn't that a Red Herring? This is the one place that is very easy to point out fallacies in people's "arguments". It's so much fun .

Not to lead this down a off topic thread. But for the kids following at home what I was used was called an anology, a defense lawyer (or an argument that a District attorney) can use in the court room that is filled with the accused peers.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to DJMASACRE
said by DJMASACRE:

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by dcurrey:

where do you people get this shit

its not illegal, you are not breaking in .
Because it is 100% true and accurate. If you connect to and then use a Wireless Network without the prior express permission of the owner of that Network then you are a thief performing an illegal act that is punishable under the Law.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

DJMASACRE

join:2008-05-27
Nepean, ON
said by Doctor Olds:

Because it is 100% true and accurate. If you connect to and then use a Wireless Network without the prior express permission of the owner of that Network then you are a thief performing an illegal act that is punishable under the Law.
Which Law section is that again ?