TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

simply amazing

It is simply amazing the aragance of this. How many of you do you own auto work? How many of you want to be able to have your car just start in the morning?

Most of these "dumb people" have not been educated in the world of security.

A lot of the elderly who have bought these "magic" boxes that allow them to sit in their chairs and email the grandkids. What do they know of security? What should you know about otheoperosis? Or how to skin a deer? or how your refridgerator actually works. Or god forbid, first aid!

So before berating people for not understanding what they should know, think about what you do not, before you call them names. One of them may someday have their hands in your guts, and you should prey they know the simple things that you do not.
end of rant
--
Reality: I am bearly able to handle ality, why do I want it again?
DO NOT SIGN THIS DOCUMENT UNTIL YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND IT. IF YOU DO NOT READ AND UNDERSTAND ENGLISH, PLEASE SEE YOUR AGENT/BROKER FOR AN EXPLANATION OF THIS FORM.
Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: simply amazing

I know what you mean. It all is so horribly complicated. It is a testament my grandparents ("the elderly") figured out how to drive a car without killing themselves, using a lawnmower, doing their taxes, and not just have sex but raise my father on next to no money. I just don't know how they could figure out how to do all that, and to expect them to learn something new. Well that's just asking way to much for a half dead fossil.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

After a while, you have a hard time learning new concepts. I do not know if you noticed, but most people fear change, and the older you get the more you fear.

You missed Stumbles' sarcasm. Old people stereotypes get real tiring. Many of my peers, in their 50s and 60s, know more about computer and network security than many of the 30 year old people I've met. Sadly that includes my children and grandchildren.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 edit
At the same time you learn the rules of the road before you're allowed to drive a car. Drive on the right (or left if you're in the UK). Red means stop, green means go. Don't drink and drive. Wear your seatbelt. etc

Maybe router manufacturers should require some sort of simple online training course before they allow you to enable the wireless features of your new router or AP.

Half of the problem is that you plug it in and it simply works.

DJMASACRE

join:2008-05-27
Nepean, ON
said by TheRul:

It is simply amazing the aragance of this. How many of you do you own auto work? How many of you want to be able to have your car just start in the morning?

Most of these "dumb people" have not been educated in the world of security.

A lot of the elderly who have bought these "magic" boxes that allow them to sit in their chairs and email the grandkids. What do they know of security? What should you know about otheoperosis? Or how to skin a deer? or how your refridgerator actually works. Or god forbid, first aid!

So before berating people for not understanding what they should know, think about what you do not, before you call them names. One of them may someday have their hands in your guts, and you should prey they know the simple things that you do not.
end of rant
thats no excuse . sit on your hands and knees and wait for people to educate you ?

and if you dont know about computers you shouldnt have one unless your willing to get trained and learn how to use it .

period.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

quote:
thats no excuse . sit on your hands and knees and wait for people to educate you ?

and if you dont know about computers you shouldnt have one unless your willing to get trained and learn how to use it .
period.

and how thick are your rose colored glasses? You do realize that computers and routers and just about every piece of hardware sold to the public is done so in the light of "even a cave man can do it".

Your claim that no one should use it unless trained is so ridiculous and far fetched that its beyond comprehension.

Do you know VB+ do you know the os under which router works? Do you know all the settings and what they do? Can you describe how SSL works, AP Isolation,DTIM Interval, the difference between port forwarding vs port triggering? Do you know what ALL the services do on your pc and their dependencies and what libraries they may call? How bout the hive structure do you understand what it does and why it does it? Do you understand the implications of loopback addressing and why its needed? If not according to you FAIL.

A bit harsh dont you think?

Do I need go on? People make mistakes every day with technology. This "hole" really isnt a big concern for 99% of the public. Those that choose third party firmware will likely not be worried either.

Lets put this "hole" in perspective shall we...

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

I am going to go back to an old joke of the VCR flashing 12:00.
How long was it until someone just started programming them to get the time from cable? Or when it starts up it asks for the date/time when it does not have it.
You are right, DJ, most of the old people do know how to use a computer.
We made it easy, so anyone can use it. The interface is simple now. But how about back when all that someone had when they turned on their computers was a black screen with a c:>
The routers, though they are everywhere are NOT user friendly, and in some cases I do not think they should be, and I am not really sure how to make them so.

Look at the number of people who are getting high speed connections in their house, how many of them do you think have a decent education, now how many do you think have had a decent education in IT?

Just because we take something for granted as gospel, does not mean that the rest of humanity does.

When you talk to someone who is not in IT about security, you end up talking about locking doors and big dogs.

What I was saying is that when you get older, you stop learning or trying to learn. Fortunatly it appears to happen later and later for each generation.
Also that not everyone knows what we know, and therfore, would not take the "simple" protections we would, but that does not make them dumb.

DJMASACRE

Nepean, ON
said by danclan:

quote:

period.

and how thick are your rose colored glasses? You do realize that computers and routers and just about every piece of hardware sold to the public is done so in the light of "even a cave man can do it".

Your claim that no one should use it unless trained is so ridiculous and far fetched that its beyond comprehension.

Do you know VB+ do you know the os under which router works? Do you know all the settings and what they do? Can you describe how SSL works, AP Isolation,DTIM Interval, the difference between port forwarding vs port triggering? Do you know what ALL the services do on your pc and their dependencies and what libraries they may call? How bout the hive structure do you understand what it does and why it does it? Do you understand the implications of loopback addressing and why its needed? If not according to you FAIL.

A bit harsh dont you think?

Do I need go on? People make mistakes every day with technology. This "hole" really isnt a big concern for 99% of the public. Those that choose third party firmware will likely not be worried either.

Lets put this "hole" in perspective shall we...
Yes ... i can explain those things.

but i am talking about the basic things like chaning the default password which is clearly stated in the manual you should be reading =)

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

said by DJMASACRE:

but i am talking about the basic things like chaning the default password which is clearly stated in the manual you should be reading =)
I agree, should be reading, but here comes the FIOS guy and installs everything for you. Puts in the router, makes sure it works, now you have the boxes for everything that he just installed, so, thinking like an end user... "It all works, so why should I bother?"

Have you read the manual for everything you own? Your Fireplace? The Toaster? How about your house? they come with manuals too. But everything is working so why should you?
--
Reality: I am bearly able to handle ality, why do I want it again?
DO NOT SIGN THIS DOCUMENT UNTIL YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND IT. IF YOU DO NOT READ AND UNDERSTAND ENGLISH, PLEASE SEE YOUR AGENT/BROKER FOR AN EXPLANATION OF THIS FORM.

DJMASACRE

Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

said by TheRul:

said by DJMASACRE:

I agree, should be reading, but here comes the FIOS guy and installs everything for you. Puts in the router, makes sure it works, now you have the boxes for everything that he just installed, so, thinking like an end user... "It all works, so why should I bother?"

Have you read the manual for everything you own? Your Fireplace? The Toaster? How about your house? they come with manuals too. But everything is working so why should you?
Well i dont own a fireplace but yes I do read all the manuals before and during and after installation, whether I need them or not. Better to atleast know the device and then a good number to call in case you have questions ( which doesnt always help )

If some guy comes to install something, you should either be asking him to explain how its set up, ask questions about security if it applies, and it should be his job to make sure you change the default passwords right away before he leaves.

thats how it SHOULD happen, lol