uniqs
share rss forum feed

RetarTed0

join:2009-03-26
Galveston, TX

Regarding 3Com and Capital4

Ref:
»3COM Power of $Zero cancelled?

I am dealing with a small fab shop here in the Houston area that got screwed by Ish Villa-Lobos, Bryan Lockhart (Managing Director - Power of $Zero Program), and Dave Dawson of Capitol4 (used to be Infinitel). They also had 3Com representatives here helping with this install through this program by the names of William Condra and Jim Jenkins. I was never comfortable with this purchase nor was I feeling good about the intentions of Capital4. None the less, just about everything outlined in that link is what happened here, with the exception that we do own the equipment now as everyone has gone out of business that sold it to us. However, that also includes no more support. We are now stuck with a perfectly fine running system that we are going to have to scrap due to 3Com outright denying to help claiming the unit is discontinued and the warranty has expired. All I need to know is how to log into this system as we do not have the login information. I am sure there are countless techs that would know how to do this, but 3Com remains adamant that they do not have a clue about this system. Apparently once they discontinue it, they scrub the brains of all employees.

Needless to say, I have been dealing with 3Com and Cisco phone systems and by no means would Cisco ever leave an end user high and dry like this. I spoke with 3Com support and their supervisor who both confirmed that they will not help at any cost. Oh well, I should have listened to all the internet and datacom folks who warn about 3Com. I feel at this point, their only supporters in here were folks on their payroll. 3Com and Ish Villa-Lobos were perfect for each other and I am sorry for those like us who got caught up with them.

RetarTed0

Galveston, TX

Yeah... so if anyone knows how I may be able to reset the login or hack the NBX100 system, that would be much appreciated.

rjs1003

join:2002-12-04
united kingd

I don't know what firmware version you're running but this guy seems to have done a bit of work in this area...

»web.abnormal.com/~thogard/nbx/password.html

Be careful though - some of the things he does need to be done with the right firmware version or you can turn the thing into a brick, and it seems the versions he used are quite old.

NBX100... I've got a feeling that I remember that 3Com laid off the development team a couple of years ago... which might explain 3Com Support's apparent amnesia!

Is there a chance that the password is still the factory-set one?
Also... is it worth checking whether if you take the cover off there are any reset buttons/flash-clearing links like you often find on a PC motherboard which might reset it to factory settings?

Bob

RetarTed0

Galveston, TX

All factory settings could be in place. That ia why I just needed basic info from 3Com.

The only reason I do not want to "reset" is because I don't have a clue how to set it back up. I don't want to cause any downtime. I do know how to manipulate the control panel to add new lines and change settings, but I can't get to it.

rjs1003

united kingd

With this kind of product there will typically not be any way in to the product without either the correct password or a reset-to-factory-defaults... that would be a security flaw...

The manual for the NBX 100 (found it online) specifically says that there is no backdoor password...

It seems to me quite likely that even if 3Com were willing to help you the best they could do would be to reset your unit, which isn't what you want...
I take it that webpage I linked to was no help (or your firmware version too recent??)

Bob

RetarTed0

Galveston, TX

If you could tell me what firmware I have, than it might be usefull, but all I know is I have a metal box with a label on it "NBX100 Superstacker"...

Feck 3Com for not offering any way out of this.

skinsfanusa

join:2001-03-09
San Marcos, CA
reply to RetarTed0

Hello,
Sorry to hear about the troubles with 3com.

If you want to give me a call( 760-804-1435 ask for Rocky and Mention DSLR), I can walk you through connecting into your NBX and resetting the password.
The link someone posted earlier has instructions also.
You will need a DB9 console cable connected to comm port on the NBX.

Also,
If it part is out of warranty, 3com will not support it through it's RMA department without a service contract.
Service contracts are available for all most all of 3coms discontinued products.
I'm sure there are some support options for you.

Let me know what part numbers you have and I will see what options are available.

BTW, I'm not trying to sell you anything. Feel free to discuss without a push to purchase a contract or any hardware.

Some Clarification:
3Com has not dropped the NBX product line, in fact, 3com released a new version of software yesterday for the NBX.
SIP supported with VM on the V3000, V3001, V3001R and V5000!!!

I am 3com NBX and VCX Connect certified and I work for an authorized 3com partner so my opinion is biased but I like working with 3com and would recommend them and most of their products to anyone.

RetarTed0

Galveston, TX

3Com products are great, but their lack of concern for the debacle they left me in is not acceptable. They (3Com customer support supervisor) told me flat out that no amount of money would have them service this unit. It was obsolete and trash as far as they were concerned...

I did just get a call from a tech that coached me through some standard passwords set by 3Com and was able to get in. Thank you very much community and as for 3Com, stop taking customer service lessons from Capitalist America and learn that it is supposed to be a service provided to the customer rather than just "can't" and "don't" and "won't"...

skinsfanusa

San Marcos, CA
reply to RetarTed0

what is the part number of your chassis?

I've curious as to why 3com would not service your equipment.

They have a flat rate of $675 for support.

Do you know the supervisor name or have a case number? I would like to look into this.

RetarTed0

Galveston, TX

I do not know the name of the supervisor, but my call was made on Tuesday of this week. I was working very hard to make the supervisor think instead of reading his computer to me, but he just kept repeating that I was dealing with an obsolete unit and there was nothing they could do. I even went as far to explain that I did not need service or warranty, just to speak with someone who may have a clue, and he informed me that nobody at 3Com can support this product anymore.

s/n 523238776

Thanks for your help and concern. If you are with 3Com, than your company is barely saving face at the moment, but this whole ordeal has left a very sour taste in my mouth that is reiterated by many on the Internet.

skinsfanusa

San Marcos, CA
reply to RetarTed0

I completely understand.

I'm not a 3com employee but my company has ties with them.
There are always options.

Is this an NBX 100 system?

RetarTed0

Galveston, TX

YESSIR

rjs1003

united kingd

Yep, sorry, for anyone else reading this thread I didn't mean to imply that NBX was discontinued, only the NBX 100.

Sounds like skinsfanusa is going to be able to help you, anyway, so best of luck getting it all sorted.

Bob

skinsfanusa

San Marcos, CA
reply to RetarTed0

Ted,

I talked to one of our sales guys(who is a former 3com manager) and he says that you can still get service contracts on that chassis but it's based on approval which is almost always approved. The price of an Express8x5xNextBusinessDay service contract for a Chassis and call processor is less than the price of a new 3102 phone and includes phone support.

If you are interested, let me know what part numbers you want on the contract and I will get the service part numbers for you to shop around.