uniqs

delusion ftl
@algx.net

2 recommendations

delusion ftl to Gary13579

Anon

to Gary13579

Re: Comcast blocking incoming ports?

It's important for everyone to understand that on the comcasts network ports are blocked by your very own cable modem. The config file clearly states which ports your cable modem is to block and it does so. Comcast only has pretty much one config type and it only blocks a handful of ports that does not include 80 or 21. They also have a config file they will send to your modem that blocks 25 if they feel you've abused the mail.

This means that 99% of the time when someone claims a port is being blocked (that is not in the generic config file) it is not comcast.

dillenger69
@infospace.com

dillenger69

Anon

well ... isn't this special. It wasn't working for about a week and I actually got frustrated enough to contact the comcast chat-bot. I sit at work to try the exact same operation that failed last night and boom ... it works fine. Nothing changed on my end. They must have glanced at my chat log and changed something.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Considering the amount of chat logs that must be generated everyday, somehow I doubt that. Glad it is now working for you.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to dillenger69

MVM

to dillenger69
"Post hoc, ergo propter hoc." Name of a logical fallacy.
Gary13579
join:2008-11-20
Minneapolis, MN

Gary13579 to delusion ftl

to delusion ftl
said by delusion ftl :

It's important for everyone to understand that on the comcasts network ports are blocked by your very own cable modem. The config file clearly states which ports your cable modem is to block and it does so. Comcast only has pretty much one config type and it only blocks a handful of ports that does not include 80 or 21. They also have a config file they will send to your modem that blocks 25 if they feel you've abused the mail.

This means that 99% of the time when someone claims a port is being blocked (that is not in the generic config file) it is not comcast.
This is very good to know. Would you happen to have the list of ports that they do block, however? I'm just interested in why they would block some, but not hit the bigs ones like 80, 21, etc.
I can only assume that they block the ports for customer security, then?