Obama '08
join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

sturmvogel6 to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ

Re: Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management - All discussion here

said by JohnInSJ:
quote:
The cap has officially been at 250GB since October 1st of last year...
Wow... nearly 6 months... it will NEVER change!

Check back in a year. It will be higher. Perhaps, really really, you are on the high end of usage among all Comcast customers? Naw, it can't be you.
Probably will change for the worse. Should we also hope when we check back in one year that the famed meter would be available shortly ?
sturmvogel6

sturmvogel6 to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:
said by IPPlanMan:

And before it was official, I'm sure that it was somewhere around that as well... for how many years going on?
You might have missed it, but a couple pages back Sunny See Profile posted a FAQ link that includes post links to 2003 where people reported getting "the letter" (the precursor to "the call") for traffic volumes as low as 80GB/mo.

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Does Comcast have bandwidth use limits?

Clearly the situation has changed over the years.
It would be interesting to plot the growth/year of the CC cap, advertised internet access speeds (yeah, we know the up to disclaimer) and disk storage.

I have a feeling that the less steep curve would be ...

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to sturmvogel6

Premium Member

to sturmvogel6
quote:
Probably will change for the worse.
Change we can believe in, eh?

Seriously, why would you expect it to get worse? I get that you cannot grasp how 250GB is "just a number" picked such that 99 out of 100 comcast customers would never notice a cap. But if you could just, for a moment, assume that might be true, then as the average usage goes up (which you tell me MUST happen since everyone will be using more and more high-bandwidth services) then the cap will have to go up, since say 10 or 20 out of 100 will start bumping into it.

sturmvogel6
Obama '08
Houston, TX

1 edit

sturmvogel6

Yeah, I would. If they are rooting out the heavy users, then their average/median usage could come out as lower numbers. Then they could invoke "market conditions", usage trendings, the weather at the South Pole and lower the caps. Just my opinion.

After all, we have seen this lower service for the same price trend. First it was (implied) unlimited, now it is heavily limited.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

quote:
now it is heavily limited
1/4 of a TB is not "heavily limited".

They will always root out the heavy users, as those are customers they don't make money on. They're in this for the money, or did you not know that? If you want to get a public utility for broadband, Comcast isn't it. Likely that would be very slow (so slow you'd never pull down 1/4 of a TB/mo) if it did happen.

What other options are available for you? Seriously.

sturmvogel6
Obama '08
Houston, TX

sturmvogel6

said by JohnInSJ:
quote:

For which I am paying 1/25000 of a million dollars. Using divisions of larger units works both ways.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:
quote:

They will always root out the heavy users, as those are customers they don't make money on. They're in this for the money, or did you not know that? ......

What other options are available for you? Seriously.
1/4 of a TB is becoming more and more limited...

They'd make money if they switched to metered billing.... and that would show that they're in it for the money. Because what the cap does is it keeps other sources of media like iTunes/Apple TV, Sling Box, NetFlix Streaming, etc. from grabbing any kind of real foothold since Comcast doesn't make money on them. I mean jeez... it's not hard to use up 1GB of bandwidth on an iChat conference while you're downloading something from the iTunes store. So all of your hypothetical bandwidth calculations don't take things like that into account. It's a glaring omission in my opinion.

What other options?... Fios.... hopefully soon.
IPPlanMan

IPPlanMan to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Seriously, why would you expect it to get worse?
It's getting worse everyday.... the cap is the same and files are getting larger. New technology like the SlingBox/Apple TV/NetFlix Streaming/Vonage comes out and oh look at that... the cap is still 250GB.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:
quote:
Wow... nearly 6 months... it will NEVER change!

Check back in a year. It will be higher.
Care to put some money on that prediction, John? (I have no inside knowledge.)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

It'll change someday
but with the others putting is rock bottom caps they might lower it not raise it

lets hope verizon stays uncapped so that its a bad idea to lower the cap for Comcast