primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI

brown "tears" on walls

Click for full size
Bedroom Wall
Click for full size
Bathroom
Hey all, looking for some help. House is about 10 years old. Bought it about 2 years ago. Been seeing around the house what looks like brown tears, like the wall is crying or bleeding. I have had no luck finding out what it is. We are looking at doing a new paint job this year, but are putting it off now till we find out what this is. Home the pictures below help some. We are non-smokers. Unsure if the owners before us did. The marks are not only in the corners, but also on the walls, sometimes going down to the floor. One thing, the bathroom wall (2nd pix) was painted by the wife. Close to same color as it was, just a coat of paint over it, no primer or anything.
Thanks!

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Roof Leak?

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

reply to primeomega
You need to vent the bathroom moisture.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to primeomega
Looks like someone shook up a bottle of cola... and openned it it the bedroom. I've seen similar spots and drips from just that cause. Have you tried simply washing the walls to see if they're deeply stained, or just "spotted"? try a spot and see what happens. If the previous tenants had kids, my money is on, "I wonder what'll happen if I do this"!

The bathroom looks like condensation running through dust!
--
I was born at night... but not last night!

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
said by Pacrat:

Looks like someone shook up a bottle of cola... and openned it it the bedroom. I've seen similar spots and drips from just that cause. Have to tried simply washing the walls to see if they're deeply stained, or just "spotted"? try a spot and see what happens. If the previous tenants had kids, my money is on, "I wonder what'll happen if I do this"!
Exactly. Someone threw a drink on the wall. Its not coming through the paint. Wash it with a sponge and mildly walm soapy water - it will go away until the next time someone does it.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to primeomega
Oops! I misread your post. These spots appeared after you repainted? In that case it appears like incomplete/insufficient mixing of an oil-base paint... or very old paint to begin with.
--
I was born at night... but not last night!

Sopper
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Rochester, MN

1 recommendation

reply to primeomega
Any smokers in the house?

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

Oops! I misread your post. These spots appeared after you repainted? In that case it appears like incomplete/insufficient mixing of an oil-base paint... or very old paint to begin with.
Or...someone threw the drink on the wall, after it was repainted.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

said by Pacrat:

Looks like someone shook up a bottle of cola... and openned it it the bedroom. I've seen similar spots and drips from just that cause. Have to tried simply washing the walls to see if they're deeply stained, or just "spotted"? try a spot and see what happens. If the previous tenants had kids, my money is on, "I wonder what'll happen if I do this"!
Exactly. Someone threw a drink on the wall. Its not coming through the paint. Wash it with a sponge and mildly walm soapy water - it will go away until the next time someone does it.
I had this same problem in a bathroom at my former apartment. I lived by myself, so I can confirm that nobody sprayed soda on the wall. The previous tenants did not have kids. I washed it off and it didn't happen again.

I'm guessing bathroom moisture problems, although my bathroom did have an adequate fan.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

3 recommendations

Its smoke tar bleeding through the paint.

When we moved into our house, the walls, which were at one time white, had turned a light orangish-yellow color. We painted, and about 1/2hr after painting, you could see the same stuff thats in your pic. We wiped it off with a damp cloth, and painted again, only to have the friggin stuff come back. We washed the crap out of the walls, and repainted with oil based primer/sealer, and it didnt come back. We washed all the other walls and ceilings with TSP, and primed with the oil base, and didnt have a problem again. Lots of extra work, yet another reason not to smoke.

good luck

-j

ErikRP

join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB
My money is also on tobacco/smoke tar. We had it in our house, the former occupants smoked.

(Not to give an anti-smoking commercial, but if it's that hard to get off your walls, imagine a smoker's lungs...)

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to primeomega
Honestly, that looks like soda, but I'm not sure only because I have something similar in one bathroom - the only one we shower in.

We don't have brown tears/streaks, but we have brown dots, about the same diameter as a thumbtack head. Only in the bathroom, and no other room. We shower and don't ventilate the bathroom well enough, they show up. Clean them, and then we open the window or turn on the fan when showering, and they don't appear.

So, my guess is moisture, but I'm new at this house stuff, so YMMV.
--
"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy." - George Carlin

[my ramblings]

EveryName
Premium
join:2001-12-05
Montreal
reply to primeomega
Those walls look 50 years old, not 10.

Dooby
Premium
join:2001-05-08
The Boonies
reply to primeomega
Is there piping running across/above/through the ceiling?

Could simply be rust seepage. Water drops down from random places depending where the water collects on the pipes above.
--
As quiet as a fish..

Agent Smith

join:2008-07-07
New York
reply to primeomega
Happens to me to its cause to much humidity makes it condense on the walls or ceiling then it drips and turns brown you need to open the windows or let all the hot air out if showering so long.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to primeomega
looks like a leak of some sort from the roof area...

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
reply to primeomega
had this in a condo that we rented. no one was a smoker ever (was not allowed in the complex due to fire concerns). was due to a mixture of two things:

(a) bathroom moisture
(b) dryer vent

both cases caused large amount of moisture to accumulate in several spots in the house. this moisture mixed with grease/dust/dirt/etc in the house and created a brown droplet. when there was enough moisture, it would run down the walls.

vent out the moisture and the problem is fixed.

q.

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to primeomega
Thank you all so far. As for soda, thought that also. But it was in all most all of the rooms. So if it was, would have been a large soda party, lol.

I did clean most of it about 1 year ago, during spring cleaning. Looking around the den, clean it here, it did not come back.

The bathroom was clean, and repainted. But, was just wiped down and ony one coat of paint. Not sure on paint also, could have been cheap stuff. Wife did it in one day.

My worry was a roof leak. But as it seems to be on all the wall, and a newer house, did not know. Did have insurance out here about 3 months ago and walked the roof, as we though we had a issue. He said the roof looked good.

It sounds like the walls will need a very strong wipe down, primer and a new paint job?

Thanks again.

tekmunki
Tekmunki
Premium
join:2001-12-06
Lake City, FL
reply to primeomega

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day
reply to primeomega
Looks like smokers. If it's in every room, it's probably smokers.

Scrub the walls with TSP. Prime them with Kilz latex primer. Then paint whatever colors you wish.
--
Remember the 2008 firefighters and police LODD's in St. Louis:
PO Ballman, Sgt. Biggs, FF Hummert, Sgt. King, FF Riggins... all murdered...RIP brothers.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to primeomega
A couple of folks have nailed it. It's smoke / dirt running down the walls with condensate. I get this all the time when the kids take a shower without the fan running. The only thing you can do is clean your walls occasionally until you are ready to seal and repaint.
Repainting with latex doesn't help if there is a lot of smoke / dirt underneath it. It'll just come back.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to primeomega
Yes its smoke/dirt/grease from a fryer perhaps.I get it also but it is more so in the bathroom with no vent so steam from shower brings it out.Get the bathroom all filled with steam and use a bleach/soap mixture and wash the walls/ceiling with a cloth/sponge.
--
Planet Phillip-Home of HL1 and 2 mods

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

said by Pacrat:

Or...someone threw the drink on the wall, after it was repainted.
Nope, I think you're wrong.
I have seen a similar problem arise due to excess moisture.

-Tzale
--
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to andyb
said by andyb:

Yes its smoke/dirt/grease from a fryer perhaps.I get it also but it is more so in the bathroom with no vent so steam from shower brings it out.Get the bathroom all filled with steam and use a bleach/soap mixture and wash the walls/ceiling with a cloth/sponge.
From a fryer? In all rooms? Um....

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

2 edits
reply to primeomega
It really looks like shower steam/stain. It just happened again since you painted. It only takes one high steam exposure to do it. A combinaation of bleach and water will clean it. Have anyone that likes to take long hot showers open a window or at least a door.

It could be bleeding through. You should never paint over untreated stain.
It's exterior exposure of some sort. If it was coming from behind the wall there would be soft spots.

Are you running a vaporizer??

--
My grandkids ARE cuter than yours!

dingo4
Premium
join:2009-02-08
reply to primeomega
vent your showers...excessive moisture

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day
said by dingo4:

vent your showers...excessive moisture
Its in all rooms...not just the bathrooms.

Sopper
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Rochester, MN
reply to primeomega
Did the previous owners smoke in the home?

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
reply to primeomega
I have seen that more than once.I would say it's a water leak somewhere or other type moisture related.

Telly Boot
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Vancouver, BC
reply to primeomega
It's just bathroom condensation plus dust- we have the same thing occasionaly and no smokers or soda parties in our bathroom. You need to open the window or vent the bathroom to the outside air. You can get a timer switch to run the fan for 15 minutes after you leave the scene.
--
Dawn,n,The time when men of reason go to bed. (Ambrose Bierce.)