MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to Pacrat

MVM

to Pacrat

Re: brown "tears" on walls

said by Pacrat:

Looks like someone shook up a bottle of cola... and openned it it the bedroom. I've seen similar spots and drips from just that cause. Have to tried simply washing the walls to see if they're deeply stained, or just "spotted"? try a spot and see what happens. If the previous tenants had kids, my money is on, "I wonder what'll happen if I do this"!
Exactly. Someone threw a drink on the wall. Its not coming through the paint. Wash it with a sponge and mildly walm soapy water - it will go away until the next time someone does it.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

said by whizkid3:
said by Pacrat:

Looks like someone shook up a bottle of cola... and openned it it the bedroom. I've seen similar spots and drips from just that cause. Have to tried simply washing the walls to see if they're deeply stained, or just "spotted"? try a spot and see what happens. If the previous tenants had kids, my money is on, "I wonder what'll happen if I do this"!
Exactly. Someone threw a drink on the wall. Its not coming through the paint. Wash it with a sponge and mildly walm soapy water - it will go away until the next time someone does it.
I had this same problem in a bathroom at my former apartment. I lived by myself, so I can confirm that nobody sprayed soda on the wall. The previous tenants did not have kids. I washed it off and it didn't happen again.

I'm guessing bathroom moisture problems, although my bathroom did have an adequate fan.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

3 recommendations

tp0d

Premium Member

Its smoke tar bleeding through the paint.

When we moved into our house, the walls, which were at one time white, had turned a light orangish-yellow color. We painted, and about 1/2hr after painting, you could see the same stuff thats in your pic. We wiped it off with a damp cloth, and painted again, only to have the friggin stuff come back. We washed the crap out of the walls, and repainted with oil based primer/sealer, and it didnt come back. We washed all the other walls and ceilings with TSP, and primed with the oil base, and didnt have a problem again. Lots of extra work, yet another reason not to smoke.

good luck

-j
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP

My money is also on tobacco/smoke tar. We had it in our house, the former occupants smoked.

(Not to give an anti-smoking commercial, but if it's that hard to get off your walls, imagine a smoker's lungs...)

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

Completely agree with the tobacco theory. I had this in my last apartment where I lived for 16 years and I smoke.

After a shower or bath and the room is somewhat humid yet, I would take a sponge mop with a drop of bleach added and simple sponge the walls down. You may have to repeat it a couple of times, but it will eventually disappear.
said by ErikRP:

My money is also on tobacco/smoke tar. We had it in our house, the former occupants smoked.

(Not to give an anti-smoking commercial, but if it's that hard to get off your walls, imagine a smoker's lungs...)