spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mcdj

@rr.com

[TWC] My box is getting a "cable card firmware update" right now

1:39am EST. SA8300HD DVR. Any idea what the new firmware will bring?

mcdj

@rr.com

Re: [TWC] My box is getting a "cable card firmware update" right

ok, since no else seems to be around...

the interface has changed somewhat. show titles are now on a black background. there are other UI design tweaks throughout. the search now defaults to search by letter.

one nice thing is that there's an option to tell the box to go to the next closest channel if you punch in an invalid number. pretty sure that wasn't there before.

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY

Here we have a blue background under the show title

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to mcdj

I dont think the cable card firmware has anything to do with the guides or menu system, does it? 2 weeks ago I also got a cable card firmware update...then last week I got an update for the actual boxes software. Maybe you got the boxes software upgraded before, but never noticed, until after the cablecard firmware upgrade?
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

Gsat7

join:2009-03-26
Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Have any of you guys noticed that you were not able to get into the diagnostics screen by pressing vol up and vol down together on the box, waiting for the mail icon to flash, then pressing ch up to enter the screen. I have noticed since this upgrade I am unable to do this.

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL

@Gsat7:

on MDN and ODN (the new guide) you have to hold down the select button until the mail icon flashes then push the down arrow. (if im remembering correctly)

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

1 edit

said by Rombus:

@Gsat7:

on MDN and ODN (the new guide) you have to hold down the select button until the mail icon flashes then push the down arrow. (if im remembering correctly)
Actually that is partly correct at least for the ODN/HDC boxes. The Remote select button procedure brings up a diag menu mostly dealing with ODN and the software side of things while using the volume up and down arrows on the front of the box brings up a menu dealing closely with the hardware like cablecard info, tuner signal, etc.. At least this is the case with the pre-theme change navigator.

The MDN boxes seem to corral it all into a single menu using the remote select button procedure.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Gsat7

Englewood Cliffs, NJ
reply to Rombus

Hey man thanks for the reply, I will try this. I know there is a way to change the resolution via the front panel of the box by doing something similar but I will def try it. Will let u guys know if it works.

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL
reply to Vchat20

@Vchat20: Ahh so THATS where they hid that info on ODN boxes. I never knew that!

mcdj

@rr.com
reply to mckenna797

said by mckenna797:

Here we have a blue background under the show title
my mistake. dark blue here.

Gsat7

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

hey guys unfortunately the diagnostics screen i was able to get into by pressing select and then down was not the one i was looking for. I was looking for the other diag screen for hardware with dbmv signal strenth and correctable/uncorrectable errors for the sa 4250hdc box. Any info would be appreciated.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1

They removed it starting with 3.1.0_7. Right now the latest version is 3.1.1_3 though our division has 3.1.0_11.

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH

said by rv65:

They removed it starting with 3.1.0_7. Right now the latest version is 3.1.1_3 though our division has 3.1.0_11.
You sure? We just got upgraded yesterday to 3.1.1_3 on the OCAP equipment and still have the hardware diag apparently.

Press and hold the volume up and down keys on the front of the box till the mail icon flashes then press the channel up button on the box. Gives you the hardware related info like tuner signal levels, cablecard status, system RAM/Video ram usage, stuff like that.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Gsat7

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Vchat, I used to do just that to get to the screen i wanted to, however, now unfortunately it does not work now after the recent upgrade. I was looking for a workaround or perhaps new button combinations. I like to check for consistency here and there because sometimes the levels fluctuate. I'm an engineer so I can't help but want to take readings and check software/firmware versions. Again, thanks for your input. We all need our little projects to tackle right?

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to mcdj

I wanna apologize and retract my earlier statement. I guess my box didn't get the full update and only had the new Navigator software pushed to it. I just rebooted my 8300HDC and it went through the base OCAP/Cablecard firmware upgrade (counts down in hex characters on the front display). I, too, am without the hardware diag screen now.

Closest I have gotten is that the volume up and select buttons on the box seems to trigger the mail icon now. But that's all I can get. The channel up button doesn't do the job now and I can't find the equivalent button anywhere. So god only knows what TW did to this mess.
--

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to mcdj

Along with some investigating by someone else I found where they hid the hardware diagnostics at on the new OCAP firmware.

Press and hold VOL+ and Info on the front of the box. There is no mail icon this time but it brings up a new menu onscreen immediately with some various pieces of info. A menu is on the left side and you'll see 'Mfr. Diags...' Go there and press the select button like it calls for and the classic hardware diagnostics screen comes up with everything intact.
--

Gsat7

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Wow, thanks so much for checking. I will check at my next trip to the ol cable box.