kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to FFH5

Re: Free for all

said by FFH5:

The US is a Republic with a constitution that puts limits on the power of the people exercised thru their elected representatives.
What does that have to do with communities deciding which services they choose to deliver to their citizens?

/tom

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by tschmidt:

said by FFH5:

The US is a Republic with a constitution that puts limits on the power of the people exercised thru their elected representatives.
What does that have to do with communities deciding which services they choose to deliver to their citizens?

/tom
This particular msg thread started with this post:
»Re: Free for all where the poster decided gov't should just seize a private company and take over.
quote:
If the incumbent doesnt want to do it, then strip them of their network and send them packing and bring someone in that will. Even if this means a new company has to be formed to do it.

All the subsequent posts were based on refuting that poor argument.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

said by FFH5:

This particular msg thread started with this post:
»Re: Free for all where the poster decided gov't should just seize a private company and take over.
Sorry about that - I'm not following this thread as closely as you are. Missed that little tidbit.

Government has power of eminent domain but one hopes that power is used sparingly. As you posted the 5th amendment requires just compensation of confiscated property.

My post was about notion government should not compete with private enterprise. That private companies and only private companies are the one to decide how society operates. I reject that premise. Business operates at the pleasure of the people and is subservient to common good.

/tom

buccaneere

join:2009-03-31
Snow Hill, NC

1 edit
quote:
My post was about notion government should not compete with private enterprise.
Government (.gov) is NOT supposed to be in business (.com[mercial) .

Same as 'religion', which it is NOT to 'establish'.

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA
They're in everyone's business..

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to buccaneere
said by buccaneere:

Government is NOT supposed to be in business .
What does that mean?

If I understand you correctly Government should not be involved in Police, Fire, Water, Sewer, roads etc. All those services were once provided by private business. At some point people decided it was best to manage those activities for public good.

For years phone service was a highly regulated monopoly. Is it your opinion that was improper?

Who gets to set the rules of the game, private companies or elected officials?

/tom