Krispy1
Premium
join:2001-12-11
the stix
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

Usage Billing

Ok I’ve got my flak jacket on and buttoned up tight but before I dive in please remember Chelle’s comments and try to keep your comments constructive as otherwise they’ll get ignored and/or deleted and you won’t get your point across – even venting can be done in a constructive manner.

Here’s your officially unofficial notice that shortly you will be receiving a letter informing you of a change to bitcap policies as Cogeco begins usage billing – note that there will be a 2 month monitoring period where numbers appear on your bill but NO MONEY IS CHARGED TO YOU during this 2-month period, this is to help customers understand what the impact will be to them BEFORE we start to bill. The letter will have full details but basically the gist is that there’ll be a per Gigabyte overage charge dependent on plan with a maximum charge, for example here’s the residential packages and overages,

Lite – 10GB/mo bitcap - $2.50 per GB over to a maximum of $30
Lite Plus – 20GB/mo bitcap - $2.00 per GB over to a maximum of $30
Standard – 60GB/mo bitcap - $1.50 per GB over to a maximum of $30
Pro – 100GB/mo bitcap - $1.00 per GB over to a maximum of $50

Now I’ll try and proactively answer questions I can think of,

1. When?

For April and May you’ll see usage charges on your bill BUT they’ll be credited back to you which means we will not start charging until June 1st. This is to give you all an idea of what your usage is to help you prepare

2.Will you warn me before I go over?

Yes, we will send a notice to your Cogeco email address before you go over and then as you’re going over we’ll redirect you to a webpage before we start charging so that you’re aware

2a. Can you send the notification to a non Cogeco email address?

Not right now…well we could but we actually care about your privacy so we want to ensure we have a system in place that will properly vette those email addresses so we’re not sending the notices and your info to whomever. I have no ETA for this feature right now but I will let you know when I have more

2b. Can you forward my Cogeco email address to a non-Cogeco email address since I never check it?

Again, not right now but I’ll see if we can maybe implement this faster than 2a and get back to you all

3. Are you raising the bitcaps?

There are currently no plans to raise the existing bitcaps

4. What happens if I download lots even though I’ve hit my maximum charge?

If the activity is degrading the service to other customers we’ll temporarily interrupt your connectivity like we do today

4a. But what if I WANT to download lots more over my maximum charge without degrading other people’s service?

You should probably investigate a higher tier of service as you’re probably on the wrong plan for your usage requirements.

5. At what bitcap will you charge and how much will you charge?

Lite – 10GB/mo bitcap - $2.50 per GB over to a maximum of $30
Lite Plus – 20GB/mo bitcap - $2.00 per GB over to a maximum of $30
Standard – 60GB/mo bitcap - $1.50 per GB over to a maximum of $30
Pro – 100GB/mo bitcap - $1.00 per GB over to a maximum of $50

6. What about commercial?

Currently commercial accounts are not in scope for June usage billing. I don’t have a concrete ETA on when it will be implemented for commercial but I will give an educated guesstimate of “not much longer”.

6a. What the heck…so commercial customers get a free ride?

Not really, it will be coming for them shortly as well but in the interim see my answer to #4

7. What’s considered billable traffic?

Everything that passes through your modem except Cogeco VOIP traffic

8. Where can I check my bandwidth?

»selfcare.cogeco.com – as you’ve seen in other threads we’ve got a new meter which will hopefully meet your needs a bit better than our older version, that should be fully operational shortly once we resolve issues discovered yesterday

9. Why are you doing this?

There’s no possible way I can answer this question in a satisfactory manner for 100% of people or answer it in less than 30 pages and I’m sure someone, somewhere will likely violently disagree with me anyway but reality is that “bandwidth” is not free. While “transit” may appear cheap the reality is a network like this takes continual maintenance and upgrades to get the “transit” to and from you and the internet is becoming more and more media rich every year so it’s just a natural evolution of the technology. You can scream it’s a money grab and that’s your right to have that opinion but if you want my opinion it’s not a money grab and personally I’ve been saying this is the direction the industry is taking since 2000 and long term I personally feel this is for the best as we will all be paying for what we use and not the usage of others that may have drastically different online needs and habits.

10. Cogeco is [insert negative comment]

Well technically it’s not a question but I figured I may as well proactively address the negativity that will likely ensue plus I wanted a #10 to balance the list out! Seriously though, I fully understand that some of you are not going to be happy about this and it may indeed prompt you to investigate other options – while I hate to see customers leave I understand that you need to find the best solution for your online needs and while I personally do not feel there will be the mass exodus that many envision only time will tell so maybe time will show me as being entirely wrong. I will tell you that I’ve been looking at these bitcap numbers since about 2001 and reality is those people that exceed current bitcaps are in the minority…by a LONG shot… so personally I don’t anticipate usage billing to impact the majority of customers except maybe to cause some unnecessary concern or confusion in the short term.

So there you go, that’s the deal, you’ll be getting the official letter in the mail shortly. Please respect BBR and the moderators if for no other reason than your voice won’t be heard if you don’t – if you REALLY need to scream and yell at someone send me a PM so you can direct your anger at me and avoid hitting innocent bystanders in the forum. As always there are many Cogeco employee eyes on the forum so they’ll be tracking it and we’re always open to good ideas so we are listening however I will be bluntly honest with you and tell you I do no foresee any change to this policy and usage billing disappearing but maybe time will show me as wrong and you’ll all get the joy of pointing and laughing at me.

Lastly...no, this is not an April Fools joke

EDIT NOTE: Edited my mistake in #2
--
you can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make him drink...you can put a man through school but you cannot make him think --ben harper

Airdog

join:2008-09-10
Windsor, ON
At least there's some certainty now, thanks for the heads up.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Krispy1
Krispy, thank you for bearing the brunt of the explosion and taking the time to give us this information.

Regarding the 'maximum' charges - Is this an ambiguous way of saying you could go over, and get away with doing some heavy downloading if you curtailed it to early AM hours, or are you directly indicating that users should definitely not be going into this area?

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON
reply to Krispy1
lol... april fools anyone?

IloveToast

join:2009-03-24

1 edit
reply to Krispy1
This has to be a april fools joke...

Even bell has a 100 gig cap on their 40 dollar tier with max charges.Cogeco is a joke.

alamarco
Premium
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON
reply to Krispy1
Thank-you Krispy1 See Profile.

Very informative post and it clears up a lot of questions I had going through my head.

I love the fact that you'll have to go through a redirected webpage to let you know that you are being charged. However I have a follow up question to this:

- Does this mean you can't use the internet at all? For example if a user is playing their XBOX 360 console on XBOX LIVE they wont have a chance of being redirected. Are they going to be charged even though they never accepted the charges via the redirect or will they have to go to the redirect first?

I hope the answer is that the redirect is mandatory and that once the cap is reached the internet is blacked out until accepted.

Krispy1
Premium
the stix
said by alamarco:

I love the fact that you'll have to go through a redirected webpage to let you know that you are being charged.
I was actually just en route here to clarify that point as in my haste I miscommunicated that piece and have had a few coworkers alert me to it. Currently the plan is to email you once as you come close to the cap and then again as you hit the cap but there is no plan to redirect you automatically to a webpage unless we need to take action as I mentioned in #4

said by alamarco:

However I have a follow up question to this:

- Does this mean you can't use the internet at all? For example if a user is playing their XBOX 360 console on XBOX LIVE they wont have a chance of being redirected. Are they going to be charged even though they never accepted the charges via the redirect or will they have to go to the redirect first?

I hope the answer is that the redirect is mandatory and that once the cap is reached the internet is blacked out until accepted.
So I guess my clarification makes you unhappy since we're not doing what you want...sorry . The issue at hand was that we do temporarily interrupt service when we do this redirect (aka: your XBOX Live connection would suddenly die) so it was taken out of the original plan but maybe if enough of you want that it will be reconsidered.
--
you can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make him drink...you can put a man through school but you cannot make him think --ben harper

alamarco
Premium
Windsor, ON
Thanks for the clarification.

Would there be any way to setup the account to be blacked out until calling in to Cogeco? For example, calling in and setting up something like this in the scenario that a redirect does not get implemented?

IloveToast

join:2009-03-24

2 edits
reply to Krispy1
said by Krispy1 See Profile
9. Why are you doing this?

I am not quoting your Number 9 answer. This is the biggest load of BS i have ever read. You try to pit people against each other by saying heavy users are why cogeco is slow and not because cogeco dosen't want to invest more money into upgrading infrastructure. It's because of corporate greed and nothing else. So if you want to try and justify it so you can sleep at night working for a corporation that is ripping off customers then be my guest.

You are the reason internet in Canada is going in a downward spiral, but that's what cogeco wants.
--
"Guess I was wrong, I am throttled."-Urbanriot

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4
reply to Krispy1
Bandwidth isn't free Krispy, but it's CHEAP! Cents per GB - why are we paying $1.5+?
--
"I am against net neutrality" - Urbanriot

Krispy1
Premium
the stix
reply to alamarco
said by alamarco:

Thanks for the clarification.

Would there be any way to setup the account to be blacked out until calling in to Cogeco? For example, calling in and setting up something like this in the scenario that a redirect does not get implemented?
Currently nothing like this set up but it's a good idea so I'll champion the suggestion on up the chain.
--

Shamans

join:2007-09-22

4 edits
reply to Krispy1
#4's answer needs a lot more clarification...

"If the activity is degrading the service to other customers we’ll temporarily interrupt your connectivity like we do today"

Got some examples or further elaboration? What kind of warnings are in effect? Would some people experience different cut-off points based on their location?

What I want to really know is...what happens to the old "2 warning followed by 2 suspensions system".

Also...any ETA on when we'll see this info on the website?

#2 needs clarification as well when it says something about re-directing your webpage...how does it do it exactly. Will it somehow ruin our browsing experience for just 1 page or for a few minutes, etc?

Let me give you a couple scenarios and tell me what would happen under the new system:
A person on the standard plan downloads 100 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 150 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 200 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 300 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 400 gigs.

Also elaborate what "upgrade" options a person who is cut off has.

I think heavy downloaders are basically trying to determine what will be allowed and what won't be.

I live in a neighbourhood that's been stable for a long time (no new houses, and a family rarely moves in/out). So if I download 24/7 and there's plenty of bandwidth left over...does this mean it's okay? Like how would Cogeco know....

I know in the past, before caps were enforced, that people have been told to temper it down if they were downloading 500 gigs or more.

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
said by Shamans:

"If the activity is degrading the service to other customers we’ll temporarily interrupt your connectivity like we do today"

Got some examples or further elaboration? What kind of warnings are in effect? Would some people experience different cut-off points based on their location?

What I want to really know is...what happens to the old "2 warning followed by 2 suspensions system".

That's what I really want to know, I don't want to pay $30 is over usage then get disconnected the next day - that would defeat the purpose.
--
"I am against net neutrality" - Urbanriot

Krispy1
Premium
the stix
reply to Gixxer
said by Gixxer:

Bandwidth isn't free Krispy, but it's CHEAP! Cents per GB - why are we paying $1.5+?
By this logic it only costs me 89 cents a litre and ONLY 89 cents a litre to run my car...wahoo I'm gonna get quite the rebate from my insurance company and dealership!!

Seriously though, there are two sides to this debate with many valid points and we could debate it forever but I really don't have the time or energy for it so yes I understand where you're coming from but no I don't agree that the cost per Mb on the transit providers page is the final cost but ultimately I'm not participating in that debate at this point in time.

So if people want to blame me or name me as the biggest threat to Canadian internet so be it but just respect other posters and save your truly angry rants for my personal message box.
--

alamarco
Premium
Windsor, ON
reply to Krispy1
Thanks again Krispy1 See Profile, I appreciate the help and answers given.

krauserx15

join:2006-05-20
reply to Krispy1
said by Krispy1:

By this logic it only costs me 89 cents a litre and ONLY 89 cents a litre to run my car...wahoo I'm gonna get quite the rebate from my insurance company and dealership!!
Do not compare bandwidth to gasoline, it's a completely different situation. No, we wouldn't need to debate it, Cogeco pays .10 cents per GB, then charges $1.5-2.0 per GB, Cogeco makes a ridiculous return. Where is this money going? Wallets of mangers, share holders, investors, CEO, big bonuses? If the full amount was going to infrastructure, I would be OK with this but really... I'd be flabbergasted.

Shamans

Can we make this thread a discussion about what's going to happen rather than why it's happening or the morality of it. I know I'd rather not pay extra but nothing I'll say will change it...

Krispy1
Premium
the stix
reply to Shamans
said by Shamans:

Well honestly there is nothing set in stone right now so I couldn't tell you even if you paid me - basically it's a protection mechanism to ensure everyone is getting fair service. I will try and clarify once I get further info but I probably won't be able to ever clarify as much as people would like.

said by Shamans:

Old system is gone completely.

said by Shamans:

No but I will try and find out

said by Shamans:

#2 needs clarification as well when it says something about re-directing your webpage...how does it do it exactly.
Well first off #2 in my original post is incorrect as we're not redirecting you as you go over...we'll only do the redirect if you're degrading the service -- I just don't want to edit the original post and have people freak out that I did an edit.

That said, on the matter of redirects...I can't detail that publicly how we do it but I can say that I'm talking about a redirect like we did with the old system and not any browser injection or anything.

said by Shamans:

Let me give you a couple scenarios and tell me what would happen under the new system:
A person on the standard plan downloads 100 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 150 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 200 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 300 gigs.
A person on the standard plan downloads 400 gigs.
Honestly I don't know right now

said by Shamans:

Also elaborate what "upgrade" options a person who is cut off has.
Upgrade to next tier I guess

said by Shamans:

I think heavy downloaders are basically trying to determine what will be allowed and what won't be.
Yup for sure

Understand that as we make this move to usage billing the whole bitcap thing moves out of my realm so I'm kinda just being messenger here so I don't have all the answers at hand and I wasn't as involved with this initiative as I was with previous bitap initiatives. As always I'll try and help and get answers but it's just not something I'm in the loop on anymore.
--

Shamans

I guess we'll see an updated AUP soon that outlines everything in detail... hmm

metrotitan

join:2008-11-21

1 recommendation

reply to Krispy1
With such low caps and ridiculous overage fees, this is about maintaining the viability of their TV and movie services. Stifling progress and innovation to hold on to outdated models, same old crap.

Shame on you.

krauserx15

join:2006-05-20

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by metrotitan:

With such low caps and ridiculous overage fees, this is about maintaining the viability of their TV and movie services. Stifling progress and innovation to hold on to outdated models, same old crap.

Shame on you.
Makes sense, right now their HDTV is suffering from ridiculous technical issues for years now. You'd get better quality by just downloading your show in HD and streaming it to your TV/PS3/360/HTPC, etc.

If ANYONE thinks this wasn't done for money is wrong. Just wanted to get that point across.

DrunkenClam

join:2008-09-29

1 recommendation

reply to Krispy1
The sad attempt to try and get cogeco users to fight it out by blaming people who use the service more then others is a manipulation tool by cogeco.

If A) user uses 20 gigs on a standard plan and B) User uses 60 gigs on a standard plan. Cogeco pays less peering charges and makes more money from customer A. There is more to it, but I can't type out pages to explain it.

To try and lie about it is disgracful. Cogeco wants to make more money by getting people to use their internet less. It's all corporate greed.

Shamans I agree with you to keep it to what will happen, but it seems Krispy felt it neccessary to post Corporate propaganda along with the new prices and caps policy, so really that was one of the many poor decisions cogeco makes on a day to day basis.

xeroid2

join:2009-01-22
Kingston, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Krispy1
This is Corporate GREED to the MAX. One of the reasons we are in a recession today. Krispy can make NO JUSTIFICATION or defend this move by Cogeco to gouge it's own customers. Not with the profits and revenue increases that are easily found all over the net.

Krispy, show us a report where Cogeco is hurting SO BAD that they just HAD TO DIP INTO THEIR CUSTOMERS POCKETS once again. Fortunately, we don't have to be Cogeco customers if we choose .... and this move will make all COGECO CUSTOMERS RE-THINK about who they want as their media provider.

I HOPE THIS HITS THE CBC NEWS TONIGHT OR TOMORROW !

* Revenue rose 18.9 pct to C$299.4 mln

TORONTO, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Cogeco Cable Inc (CCA.TO) reported a stronger quarterly profit on Wednesday, helped by growth in its Canadian operations.

The Canadian media company earned C$23.6 million ($19.3 million), or 48 Canadian cents a diluted share, in the first quarter ended Nov. 30, up from C$20.4 million, or 42 Canadian cents a share, a year earlier.

Revenue was C$299.4 million, up 18.9 percent from C$251.8 million from the fourth quarter last year. ($1=$1.22 Canadian) (Reporting by John McCrank; Editing by Derek Caney)

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Krispy1
Well it seems I and thousands of residents of Peterborough have an alternative to Cogeco. I posted a question in this thread:
»Here is a I-Zoom flyer in mailbox today, anyone try them?
for a friend who lives in Dialupville Ontario. Low and behold a rep. from Nexicom posted some interesting information. While caps aren't an issue right now for myself, although by the sounds of it they might, it's nice to know I have a choice.
BTW Krispy will you need a drink tonight?

exseven
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6

1 edit
reply to xeroid2
said by xeroid2:

This is Corporate GREED to the MAX. One of the reasons we are in a recession today. Krispy can make NO JUSTIFICATION or defend this move by Cogeco to gouge it's own customers. Not with the profits and revenue increases that are easily found all over the net.

Krispy, show us a report where Cogeco is hurting SO BAD that they just HAD TO DIP INTO THEIR CUSTOMERS POCKETS once again. Fortunately, we don't have to be Cogeco customers if we choose .... and this move will make all COGECO CUSTOMERS RE-THINK about who they want as their media provider.

I HOPE THIS HITS THE CBC NEWS TONIGHT OR TOMORROW !

* Revenue rose 18.9 pct to C$299.4 mln

TORONTO, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Cogeco Cable Inc (CCA.TO) reported a stronger quarterly profit on Wednesday, helped by growth in its Canadian operations.

The Canadian media company earned C$23.6 million ($19.3 million), or 48 Canadian cents a diluted share, in the first quarter ended Nov. 30, up from C$20.4 million, or 42 Canadian cents a share, a year earlier.

Revenue was C$299.4 million, up 18.9 percent from C$251.8 million from the fourth quarter last year. ($1=$1.22 Canadian) (Reporting by John McCrank; Editing by Derek Caney)
maybe you should look at the actual numbers before posting media garbage.

revenue went up 18.9%... great... what did Operating Costs increase by?

Pretty much by a quick look at the quartly books (that are public) everything increased by about 17% Costs and Revenue so that means the company made money and thats bad?

QuickSurfer

join:2001-12-15
Georgetown, ON
reply to Krispy1
Well Cogeco

It's been real.

Shamans

reply to Krispy1
Atleast most of you have DSL alternatives haha....oh man...I'm stuck ;(

Yllzarith
Tech Support minion

join:2002-05-27
Burlington, ON
reply to DrunkenClam
said by DrunkenClam:

To try and lie about it is disgracful. Cogeco wants to make more money by getting people to use their internet less. It's all corporate greed.
If we wanted to do that don't you think we would start charging at a lower usage level by lowering the caps?

Snickerdo
Premium
join:2001-02-28
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to Krispy1
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to see that there'll be limits, but I'm a little miffed that the maximum on Pro is $50 while everything else is $30. That just isn't cool. Should be $30 all around.

xeroid2

join:2009-01-22
Kingston, ON
reply to exseven
said by exseven:

Revenue was 299.4M, please post what the net income was. thanks
Re read it exseven ... Cogeco is paying dividends in a recession! That means they are doing extremely well profit wise.

Just Google and you will see for yourself.

THIS IS Corporate Greed ... no way around it. It's what screws up our economy and puts people out of work.
« moving to miltonWeekend Installs »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 26 · 27 · 28 · next