spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

go2cdmb

@rr.com

best Time Warner cable modem?

Is there one modem that's offered that is better than the others? Thanks for your time!

CajunTek
Insane Cajun
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-08
Arlington, TX

Any of the Modern Motorolas or Linksys will do just fine.
--
da Cajun Darn I hate Malware

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to go2cdmb

The best one i ever had was a PCX5000

NSA_CIA

@charter.com

said by Dude111:

The best one i ever had was a PCX5000
Which hasn't been made or supported for 5 years.

orangepine

@rr.com
reply to go2cdmb

Do all modems support a decent number of concurrent connections. Do they have limitations like routers do?

NSA_CIA

@charter.com

said by orangepine :

Do all modems support a decent number of concurrent connections. Do they have limitations like routers do?
Older modems like Toshiba PCX5000, 1100u, and Motorola 4100s certainly have issues with a high number of concurrent connections.

Get something newer, preferably DOCSIS 2 compatible. A new Linksys or Motorola shouldn't be a problem.

NSA_CIA

@charter.com

My Motorola 5100 handles over 1000 concurrent connections without a problem...

RR User

@rr.com
reply to go2cdmb

I use to have a Motorola SBV4200 that literally choked and rebooted every time I tried to video conference. Can't even begin to tell you how annoying that was.

I had TW come and swap it out for a Motorola SBV5121, and it's never had any problems. I'd really recommend anything in the Motorola "51xx" family.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to go2cdmb

I would have to say the Motorola SurfBoards. I have some friends who are heavy internet users who still have their modem from the Adelphia days. Modem works like a charm.

tomkb
Premium
join:2000-11-15
Tampa, FL
kudos:5
reply to go2cdmb

what about the ambit modem used for business class?

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

Have an Ambit. Hate it. Does not handle heavy use well at all. Doesn't have enough RAM for more than 1 heavy user.

}Davoice

Method3909

join:2008-08-30
New York
reply to go2cdmb

The first modem I got from TWC was a PCX600, and it sucked. A few months ago I went to exchange it because I upgraded to Turbo. I ended up getting an RCA DCM425, and there is a huge difference in speed and stability.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to NSA_CIA

said by NSA_CIA :

My Motorola 5100 handles over 1000 concurrent connections without a problem...
Terayon can handle 3100 or so connections without a problem

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to davoice

said by davoice:

Have an Ambit. Hate it. Does not handle heavy use well at all. Doesn't have enough RAM for more than 1 heavy user.
I use my Internet connection heavily with an Ambit U10C018 cable modem, and don't have that problem. ALso, the cable modem is shared with other house members.

Reinvent3d

join:2004-12-06
Camarillo, CA

Motorola SB5101 has been very good to me.

I have an Ambit here too. I didn't like it a whole lot because it overheated all the time when I put any sort of load on it.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Reinvent3d:

Motorola SB5101 has been very good to me.

I have an Ambit here too. I didn't like it a whole lot because it overheated all the time when I put any sort of load on it.
Uh oh. That's not good for me since my room can go up to 90F degrees in the room. Today is really hot. So far, no problems YET!

Reinvent3d

join:2004-12-06
Camarillo, CA

It's all good now. Got some AC going on today.

I heard from the TWC techs that the Ambit is a good modem...however, I'm so used to the Motorola's, I wouldn't turn back.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Reinvent3d:

It's all good now. Got some AC going on today.

I heard from the TWC techs that the Ambit is a good modem...however, I'm so used to the Motorola's, I wouldn't turn back.
Well, TWC will replace it for free if I have to. I had to replace my COM21 and two Terayon modems (one was non-DOCSIS from @Home and early Adelphia PowerLink days) in the past so...

AC is nice but doesn't work well upstair and expensive ($200 per month!).

Kickenback

@rr.com
reply to go2cdmb

Ambit's are not that great of a modem. Charter Cable started to replace them with the Motorola 5101's about a year ao. when i took my old Ambit in the CSR at the GLendale office had told me, that they were going to be recalling all of the Ambits do to their poor performance and short life spans. i had 2 ambits both had to be replaced in a years time. RR gave me a Ambit U10018 when i installed TWC and RR service. and so far i have had a couple of issues with this modem.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to tomkb

said by tomkb:

what about the ambit modem used for business class?
We have the ambit U10C020 in front of a cisco 2611xm router and 8 static IPs so far no problems.

Cable modems are 'transparent' just set it and forget it.

G W Carver

@rr.com
reply to Kickenback

I want to get a SB 6120 DOCSIS cable Modem, which isn't on Road Runners approved list of Modems yet. How strictly does Road Runner enforce this list.

Percy525

@rr.com

Do not pick up the SB 6120. This is a Docsis 3.0 modem and that is only available in a couple trial markets with Comcast right now. As far as modems are concerned, the modem does not affect the network as much as you think. The three biggest factors are the speeds that it can handle, the failure rate and the features it comes with. Many older modems are incapable of handling speeds of 10 Mbps or higher. The ones you want to stick to are the Motorola 5100 series and the Linksys series. These two brand name modems are known for having a low failure rate and can handle speeds far beyond what is offered today.
For business class with a static IP, you will not have a lot of choices based on where you are located because you are required to use a Time Warner modem/router combo. If possible, get an SMC. If you can't get that, then go with an Ambit. SMC's and Ambits are very efficient, have a low failure rate and offer high speeds. But SMC's outweigh Ambits by far.
As for wireless, stay away from the Motorola SBG900 and SBG1000. It does not offer as many features and it is a lot more complicated to configure/troubleshoot. If you get the wrong technician on the phone, then you could be on the phone for a good hour or two. It also does not enable web access by default, so if the tech forgets to do this, you will not be using wireless until they come back out. Linksys and Netgear are always good bets.

tomkb
Premium
join:2000-11-15
Tampa, FL
kudos:5
reply to go2cdmb

Does TWC allow you to buy your own modem?

GW Carver

@rr.com
reply to Percy525

quote:
Do not pick up the SB 6120. This is a Docsis 3.0 modem and that is only available in a couple trial markets with Comcast right now. As far as modems are concerned, the modem does not affect the network as much as you think. The three biggest factors are the speeds that it can handle, the failure rate and the features it comes with. Many older modems are incapable of handling speeds of 10 Mbps or higher. The ones you want to stick to are the Motorola 5100 series and the Linksys series. These two brand name modems are known for having a low failure rate and can handle speeds far beyond what is offered today.
For business class with a static IP, you will not have a lot of choices based on where you are located because you are required to use a Time Warner modem/router combo. If possible, get an SMC. If you can't get that, then go with an Ambit. SMC's and Ambits are very efficient, have a low failure rate and offer high speeds. But SMC's outweigh Ambits by far.
As for wireless, stay away from the Motorola SBG900 and SBG1000. It does not offer as many features and it is a lot more complicated to configure/troubleshoot. If you get the wrong technician on the phone, then you could be on the phone for a good hour or two. It also does not enable web access by default, so if the tech forgets to do this, you will not be using wireless until they come back out. Linksys and Netgear are always good bets.
Thank you.

romerojuan06

join:2009-04-14

yea ima bout to get twc & wich modem is tha best

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

2 edits
reply to tomkb

quote:
Does TWC allow you to buy your own modem?
Yes,you just have to ask them to add the MAC to the database so thier computer lets you on the network..

Tommyastro

join:2004-01-18
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to go2cdmb

I have a Toshiba 2600 which seems to work fine. 4+ years old I believe.

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY

Arris telephony Modem has worked great I am not sure if this is just for Digital Phone Subscribers but it does work great

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Tommyastro

quote:
I have a Toshiba 2600 which seems to work fine. 4+ years old I believe.
Yes the TOSHIBA modems are excellent

RR tech

@rr.com

said by Dude111:

Yes the TOSHIBA modems are excellent
Late model Toshiba modems WERE ok, earlier ones were problematic, but because they stopped being made by Toshiba 5 years ago and support for them is going down hill FAST. They may not even work properly in some areas due to outdated firmware not compatible with the latest cable headend configurations.

I'd recommend people stay away from Toshiba modems.