Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

Leaked by Bit Torrent?

It was leaked by someone using Bit Torrent. The summary makes it sound like the BitTorrent creators did it, LOL.

I'm sure they will catch where it came from, given the watermarks in the film, but that just means someone else innocent will probably get in trouble, probably a non-technical person I imagine.
--
Fight NebuAD and the like:
Click Here to pollute their data

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 recommendation

The summary makes it sound like the BitTorrent creators did it, LOL.
Really? "Leaked via BitTorrent" infers Bram Cohen leaked the Wolverine working print? No sure I see that.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to knightmb

said by knightmb:

I'm sure they will catch where it came from, given the watermarks in the film, but that just means someone else innocent will probably get in trouble
Assuming watermarks are tied to specific people/offices, I don't imagine it will take a rocket scientist to determine the culprit.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to knightmb

said by knightmb:

It was leaked by someone using Bit Torrent. The summary makes it sound like the BitTorrent creators did it, LOL.
That makes about as much sense as assuming that the makers of Colt pistols shot a victim when the news reports say: "Victim was shot by somebody using a Colt pistol".

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

said by NormanS:

said by knightmb:

That makes about as much sense as assuming that the makers of Colt pistols shot a victim when the news reports say: "Victim was shot by somebody using a Colt pistol".
The summary was changed since I made the comment.
--
Fight NebuAD and the like:
Click Here to pollute their data

Desdinova
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to openbox9

"Assuming watermarks are tied to specific people/offices, I don't imagine it will take a rocket scientist to determine the culprit."

I'd imagine that the watermarks (those rust colored dots that are annoying as hell and in every damn movie nowdays) are pretty easy to beat. All anyone would have to do is edit out the marked frames in any video editor, re-render the file and upload it. Voila! A copy with no fingerprints!

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to knightmb

Even the changed title "Leaked via Bit Torrent" is not entirely correct. It is not the only place where the Wolverine movie can be found; it is also on Usenet, IRC, and on hosting services such as Rapidshare. And this is after it went through top sites and FTP dumps, which get pirated material first before it ever reaches torrent sites.

So it would be more accurate to say it was leaked to Bit Torrent, and just about everywhere else on the Internet where copyrighted content is traded.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

Not Taken

@verizon.net

It was not originally released by the scene (although most pirated digital material gets out like that). I don't know what the original source is, but it could be a bit torrent tracker.

userBeavis

join:2004-01-31
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Desdinova

Film water marks are much more sophisticated now. The water marks are in places that you wouldn't know to look (like an extra eye lash in a series of frames of a person's face) and can identify right down to the screen the film was shown on.