how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rayeger

join:2003-07-05
Lakeland, FL

If they were smart...

All of these promotional DVD copies of movies that are sent out for people to watch, they would encode each with a unique code so that when they get leaked, could be traced back to the source.

Stop using the taxpayers money to use the FBI to solve your problems!!!

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

said by rayeger:

All of these promotional DVD copies of movies that are sent out for people to watch, they would encode each with a unique code so that when they get leaked, could be traced back to the source.

There will probably be ways to get around that. They already blur watermarks

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
reply to rayeger

What do you think the watermark is?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to rayeger

said by rayeger:

If they were smart...All of these promotional DVD copies of movies that are sent out for people to watch, they would encode each with a unique code so that when they get leaked, could be traced back to the source.
The copies are encoded. I am sure it was very easy to find who the leaked copy was assigned to. But then they have to find out:
did that person pass it on?
was it stolen from that person and copied and returned?
who was it passed to?
how did it then end up on a specific server available to all?
etc.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

said by FFH:

said by rayeger:

If they were smart...All of these promotional DVD copies of movies that are sent out for people to watch, they would encode each with a unique code so that when they get leaked, could be traced back to the source.
The copies are encoded. I am sure it was very easy to find who the leaked copy was assigned to. But then they have to find out:
did that person pass it on?
was it stolen from that person and copied and returned?
who was it passed to?
how did it then end up on a specific server available to all?
etc.
Companies like EA have paid millions to develop and include DRM features into their games, but Pirates have always outsmarted them.

The thing is, pirates usually outsmart the firms hired to create those DRM schemes. Pirates work together and are motivated by fame: which group will release the game first. Firms hire good people that only care about their paycheck: it's not the same motivation.

Even if studios were to include watermarks, codes, or whatever, they'll be dealt with.

Resistance is futile.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by TigerLord:

Companies like EA have paid millions to develop and include DRM features into their games, but Pirates have always outsmarted them.

The thing is, pirates usually outsmart the firms hired to create those DRM schemes. Pirates work together and are motivated by fame: which group will release the game first. Firms hire good people that only care about their paycheck: it's not the same motivation.

Even if studios were to include watermarks, codes, or whatever, they'll be dealt with.

Resistance is futile.
Not necessarily. Will the responsible party get nailed?

Probably.

The FBI will be able to pull any domestic ISP log they want. They'll even be able to get most overseas customer data, they've a mind to grab.

Safe to say that this crisis is more important to Federal LE and this administration, than the combined weight of 10,000 crimes against smaller businesses.

Or as many crimes against the likes of us.

NV
--
In my perfect religion, a giant hole appears and sucks up all the lousy people.
I call it the Crapture.

uid1307457
Premium
join:2005-12-30
Tempe, AZ
reply to DrModem

said by DrModem:

What do you think the watermark is?
a digital imprint