Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

movies

as long as movies stay with the CGI format, there will be theft of the movies. they are easy to steal with a thumb drive. that is part of the reason that the last Indiana Jones movie was not found anywhere until it had been released. it was filmed using traditional film, not all this fancy ass digital animated stuff that hollywood calls films. too many people have access to the computers that have the movies, so without restricting access to the machines, it is an open door for a thief.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by rob_in_chatt:

it is an open door for a thief.
And again, there's that word.

Sir Meowmix III

@205.255.240.x
reply to rob_in_chatt

said by rob_in_chatt:

part of the reason that the last Indiana Jones movie was not found anywhere until it had been released.
The other part keeping it from being leaked was that likely anyone involved in the editing part new the movie was so absolutely horrendous that leaking it reduce the revenue once word got out. That and the movie wasn't worth the effort to even leak it. I wanted to walk away from that movie three times it was so horrible. No plot congruency at all.

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

1 recommendation

said by Sir Meowmix III :

said by rob_in_chatt:

part of the reason that the last Indiana Jones movie was not found anywhere until it had been released.
The other part keeping it from being leaked was that likely anyone involved in the editing part new the movie was so absolutely horrendous that leaking it reduce the revenue once word got out. That and the movie wasn't worth the effort to even leak it. I wanted to walk away from that movie three times it was so horrible. No plot congruency at all.
Too subtle for some folks, there are actually several plots in it.

Film is harder to copythieve, but computer animation is cheaper and more gee-whiz on the screen
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK
reply to hopeflicker

If you don't have authorization to copy or take something it is usually called theft if you decide to help yourself.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to rob_in_chatt

Many other CGI filled and pure digital movies never got *leaked*.
Speed Racer was digital from beginning to end - no film whatsoever!
It didn't get leaked.
Transformers had a small amount of CGI in it - right? We didn't see it get leaked either, did we?

Sorry Rob, that doesn't pan out very well.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to hopeflicker

said by hopeflicker:

said by rob_in_chatt:it is an open door for a thief.
And again, there's that word.
rob_in_chatt See Profile's context was one of an employee lifting video off of a production machine, not as a purchaser of the product. If done by an employee then theft, if by a production contractor signee then a breech of non-disclosure contracts. My guess is the latter would be a civil dispute but I'm not sure.

fdgeart33

@suddenlink.net
reply to caco

it's usually called theft by spindoctors trying to redefine words and the stupid people that swallow their lies.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to RayW

Most movies are digitized at some point
Special effects are done with commputers.
Cleanup is done on computers.
Sure makes editing a shitload easier too!

Indiana Jones KOTCS... no CGI in that one, huh?
It wasn't leaked for whatever reason, but it too was digitally "enhanced".
It could have been leaked, but it wasn't. Who cares? It sucked as bad as this X-Men POS does.

I even bought the Blu-ray of KOTCS!
Lesson learned, huh?
But this POS X-Men? Not going to happen!
I am recommending all to skip buying and to rent first.
Once you/they see it, y'all will understand!
--

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

1 recommendation

said by dadkins:

But this POS X-Men? Not going to happen!
I am recommending all to skip buying and to rent first.
Once you/they see it, y'all will understand!
Well, at least I agree with you on one thing.

Too bad the studios have to take a good comic (well, many years ago Marvel was, now they are as bad as the studios) and screw it up for whatever agenda they are trying to push.
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Many other CGI filled and pure digital movies never got *leaked*.
Speed Racer was digital from beginning to end - no film whatsoever!
It didn't get leaked.
Transformers had a small amount of CGI in it - right? We didn't see it get leaked either, did we?

Sorry Rob, that doesn't pan out very well.
Speed Racer was also a huge bomb.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

This will be too.
Rob's claim that digital makes it easier to leak before release doesn't reflect well, does it?
--

Desdinova
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to rob_in_chatt

EVERY film shot today is transferred over to a digital format for editing. If it's a serious production it gets dumped into an Avid bay and if it's lower down on the foodchain it'll end up in Final Cut Pro. The only actual editing that happens to the 35mm film is when the negative is edited to conform to the final digital edit. This last step is called conforming the negative (betcha all didn't see THAT term coming *grin*).

There are some minor variations to this process but what I described is pretty standard.

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN
reply to jap

yes Jap, that is how my post was meant to be taken. thanks for clarifying that. some people can not read the obvious and have to get it spelled out for them.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to rob_in_chatt

if someone lifted physical media then they could face two charges. the Theft of the media itself and then the Copyright Infringement for the act of uploading it to the net or making it available as the inital seed for a torrent.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports