Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to DufiefData

Premium Member

to DufiefData

Re: A film worth it?

said by DufiefData:

It is absolutely worth it -- this is a theft that could cost an American company tens- to hundreds of millions of dollars. It's a gross theft of intellectual property and creative material and it has to be stopped.
So then, you'd voluntarily bring your company's business to a halt, for a week or more, if it would aid an MPAA affiliate investigate a leak after the fact?
NV

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

1 edit

Grail Knight

Premium Member

quote:
So then, you'd voluntarily bring your company's business to a halt, for a week or more, if it would aid an MPAA affiliate investigate a leak after the fact?
It stands to reason that usually a crime must be committed first so any investigation is after the fact. What are you getting at here?

Of course there can be investigations before a crime is committed to prevent a crime but that is not what happened here according to the news report.

As for companies voluntarily halting production for an investigation is this anything new?

Edit* Added more.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by Grail Knight:
quote:
It stands to reason that usually a crime must be committed first so any investigation is after the fact. What are you getting at here?
I'm trying to determine if your support for 'The Cause' extends into to paying real life penalties.
said by Grail Knight:

Of course there can be investigations before a crime is committed to prevent a crime but that is not what happened here according to the news report.

As for companies voluntarily halting production for an investigation is this anything new?
So your answer to my question is...

NV

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Real life penalties happen. I have no issue with this other then if it is indeed effecting emergency services then that needs to be restored ASAP.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by Grail Knight:

Real life penalties happen. I have no issue with this other then if it is indeed effecting emergency services then that needs to be restored ASAP.
So then, the MPAA's business interests, outweigh the business interests of the ISP and their downstream customers.

That is, if the MPAA suffers a financial loss of some kind, then it is acceptable to begin a process of burdening other (read: smaller, less politically connected) businesses financially, until the MPAA reaches their desired goal.

Since this is a good thing, to you, are you willing to participate in the process, by sharing in the financial burden?

Would you send a meaningful check to the ISP to offset their loss, or is that where you draw the line?

NV

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Noah Vail:

So then, the MPAA's business interests, outweigh the business interests of the ISP and their downstream customers.
I think the blame is being misplaced here. This was a failure of the FBI. Why do they need to grab a ton of unrelated servers to perform their investigation? The MPAA just asked the FBI to investigate so they could protect their assets.

Let's be sure to keep this in perspective instead of wandering out into left field while chanting death to all copyright holders.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

1 edit

Grail Knight to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
How about placing the blame on the one or ones responsible and in this case that would not be the MPAA or the Feds but the uploader of the movie. Do you think that there are actions without reaction?

IF the owner of the company blames the Feds let him use the courts to recoup any losses. I am not part of his company nor a customer losing out on anything are you? His insurance carrier should cover the businesses that are put out and then his insurance company goes after the Feds for reimbursement.

The only thing that makes this story interesting are two things. The FBI & MPAA are involved.

When the dust settles the FBI will more then likely blame an overzealous employee or miscommunication and the servers should never have been confiscated. Standard SOP in the government. CYA

Edit* Got my connection back and finished my post. Removed one line item that did not apply.