That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

No one here would work for free, why should anyone else?

Getting 'free' movies will get us no where in the long run. If profits cease, content will suffer. What kind of movies will we be left with there's no money in it for the studio's or independants?

Makes me want to go to the theatre and see Wolverine even though I would normally wait for the DVD to come out.
--
DSLR 100 Pushup Challenge starts Monday, are you in?

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Re: There's no such thing as a free lunch.

In part you theory is flawed. A lot of the big budget films are really terrible. This is why the independent film makers have been able to thrive. They often make a vastly superior product for one tenth the amount the big studios do. As for the TV stuff just look at the stuff the UK is putting out. Again, vastly better quality at a fraction of the price. If you look at music, the last I heard the artists were getting on the order of $.02 per CD(they essentially make all their money from the tours). The CD itself is now down to sub $1 for production (studio time, mixing, burning, etc).

As far as the leaks go; get it at the source. Put in decent security, it really is not that tough. The problem is that the studios do not want to stop the leaks, it is great free PR, but they do not want the leaks to be of high enough quality that it competes.

lolwutpear

@suddenlink.net
>If profits cease

Profits haven't ceased. Profits will never cease because of pirating. People have been "stealing" movies since the 80s and some how the budgets for them keep going higher and higher while they make more and more money. For fucks sakes man, it's a 100 million dollar MOVIE. Where do you think they got them oney for that in the first place? Do you realize how much a 100 million dollars is? Nasa could start building a god damn base on the moon with that kind of money but instead it's being used to make hour long movies based on comic books. I really don't understand how people like you can pretend that these poor bastards are barely holding on, about to go broke at any minute because some high school/college kids are watching them for free?
patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

said by lolwutpear :

>If profits cease

Profits haven't ceased. Profits will never cease because of pirating. People have been "stealing" movies since the 80s and some how the budgets for them keep going higher and higher while they make more and more money. For fucks sakes man, it's a 100 million dollar MOVIE. Where do you think they got them oney for that in the first place? Do you realize how much a 100 million dollars is? Nasa could start building a god damn base on the moon with that kind of money but instead it's being used to make hour long movies based on comic books. I really don't understand how people like you can pretend that these poor bastards are barely holding on, about to go broke at any minute because some high school/college kids are watching them for free?

Its more like 100 billion for a base on the moon. Its 1.5 billion for the space shuttle per launch, which can only go up 100 miles, a 2 min walk in space terms.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

2 edits

1 recommendation

No matter how much hoopla the media or studios spin i still wont go see Wolverine in the theatre, as i have always done for years i'll wait for the DVD, Blu-Ray or VHS.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:7

1 recommendation

I'll bring the pop corn.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by MarkAW:

No matter how much hoopla the media or studios spin i still wont go see Wolverine in the theatre, as i have always done for years i'll wait for the DVD, Blu-Ray or VHS.
It's coming out on VHS?