Search similar:

uniqs
ghadgreg2
join:2009-04-04
Pittsburgh, PA

ghadgreg2

[speed/latency] Super slow speeds on DSL 3.0mbps connection

Hey all,
I've checked a lot of different sites (including this one) and have gotten some good ideas, but no complete answers on my issue. I did use google hahaha.

I'm having a major speed cut happen, and it seems to now be consistently low. I signed up for 3.0mbps DSL, i'm within 2 miles of the CO near me, and my DSL is getting a low SN Margin/ High Line Attenuation. Here's the stats directly off the Westell 6100

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1280 672
Margin (dB) 6.0 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 55.0 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 14.0 11.9

Now normally i'd think with that noise, it would be bad wiring, but the upload is just fine. Wouldn't both be bad? I did contact verizon, started a ticket, only to get called by the verizon tech who was suppose to come tues that it was a problem on their side and it would be fixed. But now, my speed is still slow.

Any ideas?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Proper sync rates are at 3360 downstream, and 864kbps upstream. Also the margin should be at or above 6dB, though 10dB and higher is where you really want to be. For attenuation, if you are really two miles from the exchange your attenuation should be running at or neat 40dB. To see if we can get more speed out of the line and see if it's your home's wiring, locate your NID. This is typically a gray box that connects your home's wiring to Verizon's copper network. In there should be a test jack. Plug the modem into the NID, boot it up, and take the line stats again and see if anything improves on the sync rate.

If you don't have a NID or if it's hard to get to, try another jack. If you don't have a NID, you can ask Verizon to install one which should be free of charge.
ghadgreg2
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

ghadgreg2

I live in a townhouse connected to a few other houses. Chances are (since they built these in the late 60's) that they might of hid that nid somewhere I can't access it.

As for another jack, I don't have home phone service, just dsl. It only lets me use one jack in the house to connect with. So any other jack would be useless.

I also did a line quality test on here and got this:

0% loss latency 39.9ms

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Hmm. Well, since your home wasn't built from the 80's and newer, there might be a chance that you don't even have a NID. All depends though, but I have seen some 60 year old homes have NIDs. But if anything, try to find a way to rule out your home's wiring. Once you find a way to rule it out as much to the main feed as possible, and you are able to sync the modem, then we can go from there. The line quality test is fine.
ghadgreg2
Pittsburgh, PA

ghadgreg2

I've asked a few people in this complex about it, and a few said they have dsl and its fine (running at what they believe as full speed)
I also asked my dad (an electrician) and he said basically as long as you house wasn't built with ancient wiring that it wouldn't cause that huge of a gap.
I'll try and locate the mysterious nid, i'll ask the landlord/building managers. Hopefully fios hurries up and gets out here quick, god i miss that service
ghadgreg2

ghadgreg2

I found what may be the issue. This breakout box for the building seems to be pretty...well, crappy.

»picasaweb.google.com/lh/ ··· rectlink

I saw that, and cringed.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

Oh, wow :|

Might want to have your building managers fix that up a bit and put in a proper NID if possible and then you can go from there once you've found your line.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to ghadgreg2

Premium Member

to ghadgreg2
You might want to check what speed packages they have. Sync certainly is plausible given your Attenuation, and both US and DS are about "equal". A lot of times (but not always) only one seems to be affected. As bad as that mess looks, it may actually be ok (just messy).

Verizon Tech
@..airtelbroadband.in

Verizon Tech to ghadgreg2

Anon

to ghadgreg2
If you have a 3 mbps package and the sync rate on the modem is what you quoted above, it does mean that their is trouble on the line from CO. Now please check the speed in 192.168.1.1 and check for the bit rate. If you still find the bit rate around 1200 kbps, call verizon and insist to get the issue resolved from CO.(Central Office)
ghadgreg2
Pittsburgh, PA

ghadgreg2

This speed fluctuates greatly. Certain days I get as low as 1.0 mbps, today i'm "cruising" at 1.8. Good thing I'm paying 30 a month for 20/month service.

What exactly needs to be resolved on "the line from the co"?

Telcoguru
Premium Member
join:2005-08-22
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru to ghadgreg2

Premium Member

to ghadgreg2
It looks like someone has a DSL splitter meant for a NID Scotchloked straight to the IW. That is one big mess.
ghadgreg2
Pittsburgh, PA

ghadgreg2

I'll tell you one thing, i'm getting sick of verizon's lack of customer support. I've been transferred back the main call center about 3 times magically.

IT's getting down to the point where i'm either going to downgrade to the 1.5mbps plan (and get my money's worth, since right now I only have 1.08 mbps) or cancel and pay ridiculous amounts of money to have comcast install service.

This is ticking me off.

Telcoguru
Premium Member
join:2005-08-22
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru

Premium Member

There the same price. Downgrading isn't going to be cheaper.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

Mind if I add, the only downgrade to fix the issue and save some money is to get the 1Mbps/384kbps Starter plan.
ghadgreg2
Pittsburgh, PA

ghadgreg2

thats pretty much what I meant. That plan is $20 instead of $30, and atleast I would get my money's worth

Oh btw, got magically transferred to the main customer service line 30 minutes into my call again...great job!