Search similar:

uniqs

msanta
ATT U-verse
join:2005-05-30
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

1080p and Motorola 7216

For some strange reason, my Bose Lifestyle v20 doesn't retain the 1080i setting and reverts back to 1080p. I don't know if this has anything to do with the new stb(7216) or the 1.6.2 update but I was able to change resolutions with the Bose system and the would stay after shutting down everything, box, TV and the Bose system. The 1080p resolution doesn't show any difference, I have a Sony Bravia 52 inch TV with the Bose Lifestyle V20 system and the new 7216 box. Does anyone have a similar system that can give me some feedback?It seems that when I shut down all three components at the same time, the next time I turn them on I see that it goes to 1080p. The box is set to 1080i and SD to override.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

joe01880

The Max resolution of the 7216 is 1080i. Your V20 may be upconverting the signal to 1080p and thats what its telling you.

You can try reading the owners manual for the V20 to see if there is a way to pass through the video signal so that it gets to the Sony the way its leaving the STB. Your Sony will then upconvert the signal to 1080p.

Regardless the Bose System saying 1080p is not a bad thing. I think thats its way of telling you it has upconverted the signal for you. Your Sony is going to do the same thing, its just not going to tell you about it.
KenAF
join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

4 edits

KenAF

said by joe01880:

Regardless the Bose System saying 1080p is not a bad thing. I think thats its way of telling you it has upconverted the signal for you. Your Sony is going to do the same thing, its just not going to tell you about it.
It's worth noting that the Bose V20 cannot do proper 1080i deinterlace. Its output at 1080p produces resolution closer to 540p when there is movement on the screen.

I don't know what Sony he has, but if it's relatively new, it probably does a better job than the Bose.

Is there no way to disable video upscaling under Settings on the Bose? Or can you set 1080i as the default [on the Bose] and have it stick?

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

Basically the Bose is upconverting the signal to 1080p and keeping it that way even if I change the resolutions with the Bose to anything lower than 1080p and saving the setting. There is a way to disable the video scaling but as soon as I turn the system off and back on, it goes back to 1080p. The reason why I eel this is odd is because before the IMG update and with the old 6416 I was able to change resolutions and the Bose would save the settings.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190

Premium Member

Sounds strange that the STB would prevent the v20 from saving its own settings.

Maybe Bose has a firmware update? or perhaps the unit is defective.

I would call Bose and see what they have to say. You may want to try HDMI straight to the TV and use a optical audio to the AVR, as a workaround. See if that looks better.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

I called Bose today and I was told that the reason why is changing is because the system looks for the best resolution the HDTV can handle and uses it as the default. I tested it yesterday with the stb off and it reverted to 1080p with only TV and Bose on.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

1 edit

joe01880

said by msanta:

I called Bose today and I was told that the reason why is changing is because the system looks for the best resolution the HDTV can handle and uses it as the default. I tested it yesterday with the stb off and it reverted to 1080p with only TV and Bose on.
If your TV has an input that does not support 1080p you can put that to the test. If the input is 1080i or 720p given what Bose said then it would seem the V20 would show you accordingly.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190 to msanta

Premium Member

to msanta
^^ Exactly

and if the input does not control that, there may be an option in the set-up/menu to set an overide to a lower res.

BTW - is what Ken said true? Is the 1080p quality bad?
said by KenAF:

It's worth noting that the Bose V20 cannot do proper 1080i deinterlace. Its output at 1080p produces resolution closer to 540p when there is movement on the screen.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

My TV has three HDMI inputs and a component cable input, the best bet to check to see if it downconvert would be component. That's a good idea! In reference to the 1080p resolution, it looks about the same except I think it is a little better with HD movies, a slight difference.