uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to 81399672

Re: Sneaker store required to scan drivers license for returns!

I haven't seen signs like that $10 minimum in years in Hawaii. Even small stores allow you to use a credit card for any purchase.

Premium
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:2
said by Mele20:

I haven't seen signs like that $10 minimum in years in Hawaii. Even small stores allow you to use a credit card for any purchase.
Mainly moma/popa stores have such sings but i also file complain against id check and i know for a fact that they stopped doing it after i filled complain.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA
reply to Its a Secret
said by Its a Secret:

said by Combat Chuck:

In addition some states have and possibly still do put your SSN in the barcode.
That would kind of negate your previous post then.
said by Combat Chuck:

Anyone can write software to read the 2d barcode or to grab the less complete info off of the magnetic stripe.
How does having your social security number in the barcode negate the fact that anyone can decode the barcode if they know the open standard?
--
Come let us reason together.

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast
kudos:3

1 edit
How would any one need to know that? That's a violation of privacy. I call BS on any store that needs my SIN (SSN).

My SIN (SSN) is NOT to be used for ID; it never has been.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
Verona, PA
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Why would they have to call DMV?
True but if you're building a database to sell which is easier. Possibly having a Social Security Number on there doesn't make it any better.

Also keep in mind that some places like bars are using the 2d barcode to verify licenses.
--

Proof please

@verizon.net
reply to 81399672
said by 81399672:

I have forced many stores to change their practice, and know of 3 stores that lost ability to take cc because they refuse.
Name 'em.

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Proof please :

said by 81399672:

I have forced many stores to change their practice, and know of 3 stores that lost ability to take cc because they refuse.
Name 'em.
most are local's, don't memorize names. One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
Verona, PA
said by 81399672:

One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.
Ummmm.... no, you didn't.
--

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Combat Chuck:

said by 81399672:

One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.
Ummmm.... no, you didn't.
You do realize each store have a manager that decide how stuff works, right? My store near my house no longer will refuse sale if you don't show id. Your store might still be doing it differently

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to deluxe8520
Pay cash and ask for a store credit upon return...In my opinion you have more to lose giving them a credit card in the first place.

For many reasons..

»matthutter.com/2007/01/24/my-exp···ng-cash/

Proof pease

@verizon.net
reply to 81399672
said by 81399672:

said by Proof please :

said by 81399672:

Name 'em.
most are local's, don't memorize names. One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.
Just want to make sure I've got this straight:

It's your contention that you forced Lowe's to change their credit card practices?
And that there are three stores which lost the ability to accept credit cards due to actions on your part, yet you're unable to recall the names of those stores.

Is that correct?

Premium
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
said by Proof pease :

Just want to make sure I've got this straight:

It's your contention that you forced Lowe's to change their credit card practices?
And that there are three stores which lost the ability to accept credit cards due to actions on your part, yet you're unable to recall the names of those stores.

Is that correct?
Yes i forced lowes to change practice by filling complain with bbb. As those 3 stores, they are to small to memorize the names and all of them are food service stores

edit:Another member that goes by remove i believe also forced lowes to change their practice

AbBaZaBbA
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Wildomar, CA
kudos:4
reply to deluxe8520
»www.theretailequation.com/

basically a huge return database that many stores subscribe too. If you do "too many" returns (you are not told how many you can do) then they will deny your ability to return in the future.

Some stores have similar policies with their internal databases.

I have no problem with it if the limit is stated (walmart/target have something like 2 returns per year without receipt).

But when it's some magical number that you don't know until you hit it and suddenly can't return anymore that is wrong.

Costco now does this which is actually absurd because of their "forever" return policy. They still have the policy but if your ratio of returns to purchases is too high they will deny all of your returns. Also they don't consider if the item is defective.

If they aren't comfortable with the number of returns they are getting then they need to change their policy to have a timeframe.

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by AbBaZaBbA:

»www.theretailequation.com/

basically a huge return database that many stores subscribe too. If you do "too many" returns (you are not told how many you can do) then they will deny your ability to return in the future.

Some stores have similar policies with their internal databases.

I have no problem with it if the limit is stated (walmart/target have something like 2 returns per year without receipt).

But when it's some magical number that you don't know until you hit it and suddenly can't return anymore that is wrong.

Costco now does this which is actually absurd because of their "forever" return policy. They still have the policy but if your ratio of returns to purchases is too high they will deny all of your returns. Also they don't consider if the item is defective.

If they aren't comfortable with the number of returns they are getting then they need to change their policy to have a timeframe.
Link about costco please? Only thing that i am aware is you have 90 days to return any electornics..other then that i am not aware of return policy that you have stated.
Expand your moderator at work

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast
kudos:3
reply to AbBaZaBbA

Costco has a one year return policy (with a few exceptions), not a 'forever' policy. I've never had them deny me my return. Ever.

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to deluxe8520

Nice policy !

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Proof please

I've filed the same complaint form against stores here, and where I grew up on the Mainland, for pulling the minimum purchase thing or for insisting on seeing my driver's license when I used to sign the card and not put "see photo ID" on it. I also filed a complaint with American Express about several stores on the Mainland that would not take a $20 American Express Traveler's check (but that is a different situation).

I don't recall the name of the stores on the mainland. As for ones here, yeah, they had to change their practice so did at least one of the ones on the Mainland that would not take a $20 Amex travelers check (as they took them happily next time was there) and I had photo ID with me (two photo ID's). Those incidences were maybe ten years ago not recently. I also got Macy's to accept Macy's cards where the customer does not sign the card but instead puts "See Photo ID" on the back of the card.

As far as Lowe's, I think their practice is what every store should do. I don't frequent businesses that do not ask for photo ID. The credit card I have been using the most (until recently) has my photo on it but I still always provide my driver's license also (look - no touch). If you don't want to show your driver's license then get a state I.D. card and show that or show another credit card that has your photo.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to deluxe8520

I've never heard of or seen this in any store out here, is this an east coast thing?