share rss forum feed

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Snowy

Re: Sneaker store required to scan drivers license for returns!

said by Snowy:

That is a prohibited practice.
File a complaint with your credit card issuer.
»answers.google.com/answers/threa ··· 085.html
Supposedly, saying a minimum payment (say $10 for example) is required to use a CC isn't "legal" either, yet I see stores with signs to that effect all the time. I doubt the CC companies care all that much.
--
1/20/09 The Beginning of the End

12,999 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Premium
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:2
said by La Luna:

said by Snowy:

That is a prohibited practice.
File a complaint with your credit card issuer.
»answers.google.com/answers/threa ··· 085.html
Supposedly, saying a minimum payment (say $10 for example) is required to use a CC isn't "legal" either, yet I see stores with signs to that effect all the time. I doubt the CC companies care all that much.
I have forced many stores to change their practice, and know of 3 stores that lost ability to take cc because they refuse. Yes credit card company care about the violation.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
I haven't seen signs like that $10 minimum in years in Hawaii. Even small stores allow you to use a credit card for any purchase.

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Mele20:

I haven't seen signs like that $10 minimum in years in Hawaii. Even small stores allow you to use a credit card for any purchase.
Mainly moma/popa stores have such sings but i also file complain against id check and i know for a fact that they stopped doing it after i filled complain.

Proof please

@verizon.net
reply to 81399672
said by 81399672:

I have forced many stores to change their practice, and know of 3 stores that lost ability to take cc because they refuse.
Name 'em.

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Proof please :

said by 81399672:

I have forced many stores to change their practice, and know of 3 stores that lost ability to take cc because they refuse.
Name 'em.
most are local's, don't memorize names. One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA
said by 81399672:

One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.
Ummmm.... no, you didn't.
--
Come let us reason together.

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Combat Chuck:

said by 81399672:

One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.
Ummmm.... no, you didn't.
You do realize each store have a manager that decide how stuff works, right? My store near my house no longer will refuse sale if you don't show id. Your store might still be doing it differently

Proof pease

@verizon.net
reply to 81399672
said by 81399672:

said by Proof please :

said by 81399672:

Name 'em.
most are local's, don't memorize names. One big store is lowes that stop refusing to continue with sale if you refuse to provide id as long as you got credit card signed.
Just want to make sure I've got this straight:

It's your contention that you forced Lowe's to change their credit card practices?
And that there are three stores which lost the ability to accept credit cards due to actions on your part, yet you're unable to recall the names of those stores.

Is that correct?

Premium
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
said by Proof pease :

Just want to make sure I've got this straight:

It's your contention that you forced Lowe's to change their credit card practices?
And that there are three stores which lost the ability to accept credit cards due to actions on your part, yet you're unable to recall the names of those stores.

Is that correct?
Yes i forced lowes to change practice by filling complain with bbb. As those 3 stores, they are to small to memorize the names and all of them are food service stores

edit:Another member that goes by remove i believe also forced lowes to change their practice
Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
reply to Proof please

I've filed the same complaint form against stores here, and where I grew up on the Mainland, for pulling the minimum purchase thing or for insisting on seeing my driver's license when I used to sign the card and not put "see photo ID" on it. I also filed a complaint with American Express about several stores on the Mainland that would not take a $20 American Express Traveler's check (but that is a different situation).

I don't recall the name of the stores on the mainland. As for ones here, yeah, they had to change their practice so did at least one of the ones on the Mainland that would not take a $20 Amex travelers check (as they took them happily next time was there) and I had photo ID with me (two photo ID's). Those incidences were maybe ten years ago not recently. I also got Macy's to accept Macy's cards where the customer does not sign the card but instead puts "See Photo ID" on the back of the card.

As far as Lowe's, I think their practice is what every store should do. I don't frequent businesses that do not ask for photo ID. The credit card I have been using the most (until recently) has my photo on it but I still always provide my driver's license also (look - no touch). If you don't want to show your driver's license then get a state I.D. card and show that or show another credit card that has your photo.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason
Expand your moderator at work

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

If you don't want to show your driver's license then get a state I.D. card and show that or show another credit card that has your photo.
Why's that? they both have the same amount of info on the magstrip other than id is not valid for operation of motor vehicles.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

VR Laura
Queen Of Cyberspace
Premium
join:2002-02-10
NYC

1 edit
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

If you don't want to show your driver's license then get a state I.D. card and show that or show another credit card that has your photo.
I don't know about where YOU live, but that is incorrect in New York.

PHOTO LICENSES AND ID CARDS
»www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-33 ··· c-33.htm

"If you do not drive, you may qualify for a Non-Driver Photo Identification Card from the Department of Motor Vehicles. The DMV Non-Driver ID Card has the same personal identification information, photo, signature and special safeguards against alterations as a photo driver license. You cannot hold a New York State driver license or learner permit while also holding a non-driver ID card."
--
»www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
It is the same in Pennsylvania. The only difference between a drivers license and state issued ID card is one says drivers license and the other says identification card. Other than that they are identical in every way.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

hottboiinnc4
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to 81399672
not all issuing banks care.

And if you don't like the policy of the company you are free NOT to shop there.

And YOU did not force many stores to change their practices. You simply helped and probably had more complaints than yours and probably far worse ones.

And know stores that are not able to take a credit card because they refuse? LOL Sign up with a new Merchant company. Discover and American Express are the only ones that deal direct with the stores.