uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to pcdebb

Re: Sneaker store required to scan drivers license for returns!

said by pcdebb:

but this brings another question, isnt it the same as a company entering your DL when you write a check for approval?
Seems to me it is the same. In Hawaii, your driver's license number is always recorded on a check you write at the grocery store. I can't recall a time when this was not the case. I don't see why it is illegal to scan the driver's license but legal to write the license number on a check submitted. People used to get store check approval cards and the number on those was written on checks instead but I never bothered with those. These days, no one (except my mother) writes checks in stores.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast
kudos:3
Scanning, and viewing/ writing a DL # are two different things. Checks? That's like using an 8 track!

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Mele20
This sounds like they are trying to track people who return a lot.

But the stores I've seen do this only do it when there is no reciept.

Next time this happens call your credit card company, and have them reverse the charge while you're in the store. Make sure you leave the sneakers too.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by HardwareGeek:

This sounds like they are trying to track people who return a lot.

But the stores I've seen do this only do it when there is no reciept.
yes this is true. i've returned things without a receipt and they've asked for my DL, and i generally didn't have a problem with it since i didn't have the receipt. I've never had to do it when i've had the receipt. at walmart it was a serious problem and scanning the DL curbed the problem big time.
--
| map your city |

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I don't see why it is illegal to scan the driver's license but legal to write the license number on a check submitted.
It's a lot harder to call the DMV to get your address and other info with a license number than it is to pull it from the barcode.

In addition some states have and possibly still do put your SSN in the barcode.
--
Come let us reason together.

Its a Secret
Premium
Da wet coast
said by Combat Chuck:

That would kind of negate your previous post then.
said by Combat Chuck:

Anyone can write software to read the 2d barcode or to grab the less complete info off of the magnetic stripe.

--
"In the future, that which is not mandatory will be illegal"
"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better" - Anonymous

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to Combat Chuck
said by Combat Chuck:

said by Mele20:

I don't see why it is illegal to scan the driver's license but legal to write the license number on a check submitted.
It's a lot harder to call the DMV to get your address and other info with a license number than it is to pull it from the barcode.

Why would they have to call DMV? Your name and address are required to be on the check. They would not know expiration date of the license or any restrictions on it, etc. But seems to me with name, address and license number that is enough for identity theft.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
Verona, PA
reply to Its a Secret
said by Its a Secret:

said by Combat Chuck:

That would kind of negate your previous post then.
said by Combat Chuck:

Anyone can write software to read the 2d barcode or to grab the less complete info off of the magnetic stripe.
How does having your social security number in the barcode negate the fact that anyone can decode the barcode if they know the open standard?
--

Its a Secret
Premium
Da wet coast

1 edit
How would any one need to know that? That's a violation of privacy. I call BS on any store that needs my SIN (SSN).

My SIN (SSN) is NOT to be used for ID; it never has been.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
Verona, PA
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Why would they have to call DMV?
True but if you're building a database to sell which is easier. Possibly having a Social Security Number on there doesn't make it any better.

Also keep in mind that some places like bars are using the 2d barcode to verify licenses.
--
Expand your moderator at work

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Combat Chuck

Re: Sneaker store required to scan drivers license for returns!

said by Combat Chuck:

said by Mele20:

Own a house? got a car note? all this info is available at your local courthouse[public records], and many states STILL include the SSN on the paperwork!
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee