spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scpalmetto

join:2009-04-06
Easley, SC

[General] Technical/Mechanical Test - Field II (TMT-FII)

I apply for the AT&T Premises Tech. Position in the Greenville, SC area. Do I have to pass TMT-FII test before applying in order to qualify for the job?

reddog6102
Premium
join:2006-02-04
united state
said by scpalmetto:

I apply for the AT&T Premises Tech. Position in the Greenville, SC area. Do I have to pass TMT-FII test before applying in order to qualify for the job?
When i applied 11 years ago as a service tech i had to pass basic electricity,general aptitude,physical aptitude and drug screen before i was hired. Once hired pole climbing was the only pass/fail course i had to take and it lasted about 5 days. All the rest was considered training. I'm not sure about the prem tech title. Maybe there is one here that can answer! Good luck, this is a great company to work for as long as we can keep our job security ,wages and health and welfare in the contract!!

BleedMarshall

@bellsouth.net
reply to scpalmetto
This is information I have found in Florida and Tennessee. It may be of some help to you scpalmetto.

I think, from what I have heard and from what I have gathered from other techs in the field, that you would have to score high enough on the TMT-FII to be considered for a tech position. I myself have a test scheduled for the 13th of April, so I asked whomever I saw in the field about the same thing.

I now live in Florida since relocating from Tennessee. In Tennessee I worked for Comcast and there we had to pass a pole climbing exam and field test to be certified to work in the field. If you did not pass your employment was terminated. However they did instruct you for a 5 day class and certification was on day 5. They would also give you a few more days to pass the field exam, and you had 3 times to pass the written exam. However that was Comcast, and I have been told by their techs from Florida that they do not gaff (pole climb) in Florida. I have not heard if AT&T has you climb in Florida or not, and I have yet to see a tech do so. I have however seen AT&T techs gaff in South Carolina though, and in Tennessee AT&T would prefer for their techs to gaff as opposed to a ladder. As to why I am unsure, but I was told that by several techs in the field there.

Also reddog...would a Service Tech be the same as a Premises Tech? I am unfamiliar with the terms within AT&T. Thanks.

SuperSync
Free Hat, Limit 1
Premium
join:2002-01-12

3 edits
Premise tech requires no climbing (maybe a 6' step ladder at most, but no gaffs) and is essentially has the ability to work from the NID to the inside in the AT&T SE region. They install UVerse service now, that's it. They CANNOT as of the current contract do any work past the NID into the network in the southeast.

As far as Florida Comcast employees not gaff/pole climbing, I don't really see how they could successfully do their job. Are you saying they just use ladders exclusively or have someone with a bucket truck do anything on a pole? That's really WEIRD. I've NEVER seen a cable TV contractor or employee who didn't have to pole climb from time to time. If anyone climbs in most area it is the CATV & power lineman due to the heights of their plant on the poles (ladders won't reach a lot of it). In fact it seems it would be impossible to reach some of the attachments above telephone cable without doing it this way.

If you apply for any outside position other than premise tech in the AT&T Southeast (ex-BellSouth region) you have to be certified to climb with gaffs and demonstrate proper ladder handling procedures.

BleedMarshal

join:2009-04-11
reply to BleedMarshall
*Note* I registered after the Anon post.

I guess that Knoxville Tennessee is a blurred district since I was under the assumption that it was part of the SE Region. I have seen many a tech from AT&T gaff and work from the pole to the inside of a home. Though there are some places in Tennessee that are still under the BellSouth division. *shrugs* Much appreciation for the information SuperSync.

Considering the Comcast issues...

I asked the same question. "Do you only work off ladders and have a bucket come out?" And the answer I got from both a tech in Fort Meyers and Palatka Florida was, "Yes. Only the Mainline guys gaff."

From what I have seen by way of the tap (where the signal at pole to house is located) are very low. You should only need a 20' extension ladder to reach them. Granted I am judging this from the limited amouint of taps I have seen in Palatka, St. Augustine, Jacksonville, and Starke...but it was very odd not to gaff. The tech in Fort Meyers I spoke with stated that most of the poles there were actually concrete or like material, and the one in Palatka said that simply they were not allowed. *shrugs*

I enjoyed it and would gaff as opposed to using my ladder every chance I got in Knoxville Tennessee, and was disappointed to hear that Premise Techs do not gaff. Though since they only are required to work from the NID in, there would be no reason to gaff.

Thanks again.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to scpalmetto
To the OP...Yes. yes you will. They have removed the basic computer skills test, but any 10 year old who uses windows can pass that one.

As for cable in general...installers do NOT climb. Only ladders or call for a bucket in rare situations.

BleedMarshal

join:2009-04-11
reply to scpalmetto
"As for cable in general...installers do NOT climb. Only ladders or call for a bucket in rare situations."

This souds familiar. What used to be the practice in Knoxville Tn. was there were Installers and Service Techs. Installers either installed cable of internet, and then went to installing both. Only Service Techs. did trouble calls.

They now however went to a yier grouping where you hire in a CT1 (Communications Tech. Level 1), go through an 8 week training course to become a CT2, thus running installs of both cable and internet while also doing trouble calls. After 6 months from graduationg your 8 week training you can take your CT3 to do phone work as well. You can go upto a CT6 on the customer side, or go into the NT (Network Tech) side, though it is gated.

I have heard that some areas where Comcast is setup and running across the US they still have Installers and Service Techs. That may very well be the case yes? At least for Comcast.

smerre01
Premium
join:2003-09-23
Greer, SC
reply to scpalmetto
So does anyone have an information about the actual Technical Mechanical Test Field II test and what to expect and perhaps something beyond the four sample question study guide provided by AT&T?

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
If you search these forums it has been discussed before.

All I can say as with any test...make sure you fully read and understand the instructions before you start giving answers.

STUCK

@bellsouth.net
reply to scpalmetto
Technical/Mechnical Test is relatively easy once you relax. It ask you questions like the ones that are on the four samples on the study. One is about a samll wheel that turns a larger wheel. Given the small wheel turn at 10rpm, what is the speed of the larger wheel. Go on line to on of those site that advertise technical/mechnical test and that should give you a some insight. GOB BLESS YOU!

smerre01
Premium
Greer, SC
Yeah ummm, I don't know how to figure out rpm's of gears turning, I have googled and don't really see a site where I can take technical/mechanical tests to help me prepare....

Claybraker

join:2002-04-13
none
Let's try this:

Given one gear is turning at 10 RPM and has a diameter of 1 meter, and is turning a gear with a diameter of 2 meters, how fast is the larger gear turning in RPM?

Imagine an individual point on each of the two gears. They are both moving at the same speed, ie velocity.

But we need to know the RPM of the larger gear, and to get that:

The smaller gear has a circumference of:
pi*d
3*1=3
(Rounding pi for simplicity sake)
3M*10RPM=30 Meters Per Minute

Any point on the circumference of the larger gear is also turning at 30 Meters Per Minute.

The circumference of the larger gear is:
pi*d
3*2=6

It's also turning at 30 Meters Per Minute, so:
30 Meters Per Minute/6M=5 RPM

Easy as Pi.

daisichain1

@embarqhsd.net
just aced the tmtfII can anyone provide info on this hiring process from here now that ive qualified?

smerre01
Premium
Greer, SC
Well I don't know what area your in, but I am getting ready to leave in about 30 minutes to go take mine, really nervous about it, as doesn't seem to be a ton of information on what to study/expect. However I did inquire to my HR lady for AT&T about wha to expect and she has 200+ people in my area applying for like 1-2 positions.....

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
reply to daisichain1
said by daisichain1 :

just aced the tmtfII can anyone provide info on this hiring process from here now that ive qualified?
Depends on your area and if they realllllly need you now or not.
From what I have heard they are mostly waiting until after the new contract which looks like it will be sometime in august now.

smerre01
Premium
Greer, SC
reply to scpalmetto
well just got back home, I passed the test...YAY! Man what a weird test that was too. I know that there were 98 people today alone scheduled to take the TMT-II test for my area w/ a pass rate of 70% roughly. All for two or three positions. Does this seem like lunacy to anyone else??

smerre01
Premium
Greer, SC
reply to scpalmetto
So has anyone who has passed the test heard ANYTHING from AT&T?? I would have expected them to call and setup an interview or something.....

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
said by smerre01:

I would have expected them to call and setup an interview or something.....
Read my last post...

I also have a buddy that passed his tests (you only have the one now...this is how long ago it was) and has heard nothing due to the limited hiring they are doing now. They do it based on what location is needed and where you live in proximity, but from what I hear are still waiting on union contract to be ratified before they start hiring en masse.

smerre01
Premium
Greer, SC
Well there was something in the application process about there would be 6 weeks of training, so I figured they would have to get that going prior to launching in our market, was really hoping to hear something by the end of the month.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
It used to be 9 weeks.
I guess the turnover made them cut it down.

smerre01
Premium
Greer, SC
reply to scpalmetto
So basically AT&T is having a couple thousand people in my area apply for positions and go get tested in case in a year or so they might need us? Seems like a lot of trouble and not to mention the expense of the testing, I am sure pearson vue doesn't do it for free. I guess I was hoping for some action on this sooner rather than later, but hey, it is what it is....

Claybraker

none
said by smerre01:

So basically AT&T is having a couple thousand people in my area apply for positions and go get tested in case in a year or so they might need us? Seems like a lot of trouble and not to mention the expense of the testing, I am sure pearson vue doesn't do it for free. I guess I was hoping for some action on this sooner rather than later, but hey, it is what it is....
HR's job is to obtain a large pool of potential employees, and select the best of the best for further screening. Bob help us if we sink to the cable company practice of hiring anyone that can fog a mirror.

Claybraker

none
reply to alfnoid
said by alfnoid:

It used to be 9 weeks.
I guess the turnover made them cut it down.
Probably. HR got off to a rocky start with some of their early hires around here, but they've been doing pretty good lately.

smerre01
Premium
Greer, SC
reply to Claybraker
Well pretty sure that I am more qualified past fogging up a mirror....

brndnpnt

join:2009-05-15
Gretna, LA
reply to scpalmetto
I live in new orleans and I just finished my test an it says qualified what else would it say not qualified?
Also what are they going email me next and when in anyone knows.

Thanks.

brndnpnt

Gretna, LA
said by brndnpnt:

I live in new orleans and I just finished my test an it says qualified what else would it say not qualified?

Thanks.
said by brndnpnt:

Thanks.
also it says qualifation level qualified???

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
Just so you know you could have just hit the text down in the bottom right of your last post that says edit to add new info to your first post.

As far a qualified...it is either you are or you are not...it is a pass fail situation.

Read the rest of this thread for other insight into your questions.

brndnpnt

Gretna, LA
ouch ok thanks man. sorry I am kinda new here

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
said by brndnpnt:

I am kinda new here
No problem.
Live and learn.